Interesting Sports Facts and Statistics

fouhy12

The University of Michigan is the only Division One College to have won a National Championship in all four of the Major sports.

I've earned a degree from Michigan, but you're just making $hit up now. First, Desmond Howard, then your debunked Richard Nixon "fact", now this.

Attendance aside, hockey is not a major sport due to the small number of participanting schools. Heck, it is on the lower tier for the Capital One Cup. Track and soccer are on the upper tier and UCLA has won both of those while Michigan has not.

Leonard Little killed somebody and only got an 8 game suspension for it. He even played in the Super Bowl that season!

And he got no suspension for his second DWI!!

And I didn't even have to use Google for that one!!!

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

41 of the 122 teams in the four major sports league have played in at least one other city. Or about 34 percent of all teams.

Does that count the Ravens, who apparently didn't play in Cleveland?

Or the Hornets, who were just inactive for a while and didn't actually move to New Orleans?

I was wondering that myself. Officially, it should not. I guess.

Right now it's 41 but maybe a few more years from now it can be 35. Or zero.

Yeah who the heck knows where any team played anymore now that they can just make up history?

The Philadelphia Phillies won the World Series in 2008 in the same year as becoming the first professional sports team to lose 10,000 games. It would also be the only World Series called by Harry Kalas.

He called the 1983 and 1993 series on radio. 2008 would be the only win he called.

Interestingly, the rule was changed to allow local radio announcers to broadcast WS games was made in 1981 after Phillies fans flooded the commissioner's office with complaints over not being able to hear Kalas in '80.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

41 of the 122 teams in the four major sports league have played in at least one other city. Or about 34 percent of all teams.

Does that count the Ravens, who apparently didn't play in Cleveland?

Or the Hornets, who were just inactive for a while and didn't actually move to New Orleans?

I was wondering that myself. Officially, it should not. I guess.

Right now it's 41 but maybe a few more years from now it can be 35. Or zero.

Yeah who the heck knows where any team played anymore now that they can just make up history?

The Philadelphia Phillies won the World Series in 2008 in the same year as becoming the first professional sports team to lose 10,000 games. It would also be the only World Series called by Harry Kalas.

He called the 1983 and 1993 series on radio. 2008 would be the only win he called.

Interestingly, the rule was changed to allow local radio announcers to broadcast WS games was made in 1981 after Phillies fans flooded the commissioner's office with complaints over not being able to hear Kalas in '80.

That's what I was trying to explain.

Uhh, what's wrong with University of Michigan? Everyone I know who has a degree from there landed awesome, high-paying jobs right out of school and are doing extremely well for themselves.

*Cue the guy who claims he is extremely successful without going to college, and how college is a waste of time and money*

Both the Bears and Packers had a championship season which they only lost one game. The Packers in 1962 and the Bears in 1985. Also the Raiders and 49ers also had a Championship season with only one loss. The Raiders in 1976 and the 49ers in 1984.

Psst. I was referring to you.

Let's slow it down a little. We don't want this thread turning into random facts that one person Googles and posts over and over.

• Like 2

VmWIn6B.png

Uhh, what's wrong with University of Michigan? Everyone I know who has a degree from there landed awesome, high-paying jobs right out of school and are doing extremely well for themselves.

Well, provided the pizza chain let's them keep their tips *and* reimburses them for the gas they use on deliveries? I suppose to some that could be considered high-paying...

nav-logo.png

Some Championship Stats:

In the 1990s, There were three sports championships that feature Dallas vs. Buffalo (Super Bowl XXVII, Super Bowl XXVIII, and the 1999 Stanley Cup Finals).

The 2000 Stanley Cup Finals was the first Stanley Cup that featured two teams that played in at least one other city (Minnesota North Stars/Dallas Stars vs. Kansas City Scouts/Colorado Rockies/New Jersey Devils). The Minnesota North Stars/Dallas Stars are also the only teams to played in the Stanley Cup Finals in two different cities (Minnesota in 1981 and 1991 and Dallas in 1999 and 2000).

The 2001 Stanley Cup Finals was between Denver's current Ice Hockey team and Denver's old Ice Hockey Team. (Kansas City Scouts/Colorado Rockies/New Jersey Devils vs the Quebec Nordiques/Colorado Avalanche).

There has been two sports championships that were Minnesota vs. Pittsburgh (Super Bowl IX and the 1991 Stanley Cup Finals). The Pirates and Senators/Twins played in the 1925 World Series.

Joe Nieuwendyk has won the Stanley Cup three times, on three different teams, in three different decades (Flames in 1989, Stars in 1999, and the Devils in 2003).

From 1972 to 1976, all of the Oakland Sports teams won at least one championship (Athletics in 1972, 1973, 1974, Warriors in 1975, and the Raiders in 1976). In the the last championship year, the Seals moved to Cleveland.

Of all the original American Football teams, the Chiefs are the only team that won both an AFL title and the Super Bowl not in the same season.

Of the four teams to join NHL in 1979, The Oilers were the only team that did not win a WHA title. The Jets won it three times, The Nordiques won it once, and the Whalers won it once. When the teams came to the NHL, the Oilers won the Stanley Cup five times before any of the others teams. The jets won the most titles in the WHA, there are the only team of the four to not have on the Stanley Cup yet.

The Athletics and Giants have played in the World Series on both the east and west coast. 1911 and 1913 in New York and Philadelphia and 1989 in Oakland and San Francisco.

Of all the stadiums that hosted the Super Bowl, The Rose Bowl is the only stadium that never housed an NFL team.

Three has been three championships between Detroit and Pittsburgh (1909 World Series, 2008 Stanley Cup Finals, and the 2009 Stanley Cup Finals).

The Penguins have won the Stanley Cup three times, but never on their home ice (Minnesota in 1991, Chicago in 1992, and Detroit in 2009). When they lost in 2008, The Red Wings won it on their home ice.

Jerry Sloan played for the Chicago Bulls, was both a head and assistant coach for the Bulls, and as coach of the Jazz, lost in two NBA Finals against the Bulls.

Of all the original American Football teams, the Chiefs are the only team that won both an AFL title and the Super Bowl.

If you count the 1960-62 New York Titans and the 1963-69 New York Jets as separate AFL franchises, which would make you the only person ever to do so.

Unless you mean, "in the same season" the Raiders also say "Hi!"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)