Interesting Sports Facts and Statistics

fouhy12

Probably been mentioned by now, but every possible 2015 World Series matchup will feature a team that hasn't won a championship in 20+ years. Blue Jays (1993), Mets (1986), Royals (1985), Cubs (1908). This would have also been true had the Dodgers (1988) beaten the Mets, and also would have held true if the Rangers and Astros had advanced (neither have won a championship). Had the Pirates advanced, this still would have held true, as they last won in 1979. In fact, except for the Cardinals, every team that qualified for the 2015 playoffs has yet to win a championship in this decade (Yanks last won in 2009). This also would have held true had the Angels (2002) and Twins (1991) qualified.

In game two of the 1926 World Series, Tommy Thevenow would hit what would prove to be the final home run of his career. An inside the park home run off in the ninth inning off Sad Sam Jones.

What makes this stat unique is that Tommy Thevenow didn't retire from baseball until 1938 and currently holds the record for the longest homerless steak in Major League history.

• 11 months later...

I knew this thread was here somewhere! :)

I hope this stat line is worthy of a nearly-year bump, but I found it really interesting.

It's been easy for me as a history junkie to compare Clayton Kershaw to Sandy Koufax; two insanely dominant left-handed Dodger aces that are the premier pitchers of their time. What surprised me in comparing the two is how close a few of their stats are. I focused mostly on avg per 162 game season stats because Koufax still has the longer career by 3 seasons at this point (though some overall career stats are fairly close, though).

Where they're identical

Average W-L per 162 games: 16-8

Cy Youngs: 3

MVPs: 1

Where they're close

Avg. Hits allowed per 162 games: Kershaw 167, Koufax 168

Career Win Pct.: Kershaw .677, Koufax .655

Avg Strikeouts per 162 games: Kershaw 247, Koufax 229

Avg. IP per 162 games: Kershaw 227, Koufax 222

Avg. GS per 162 games: Kershaw 34, Koufax 30

Career ERA titles: Kershaw 4, Koufax 5

Aside of course from the obvious difference in World Series titles, it's fascinating to see how close their careers have turned out to be. Yes, he needs a ring at the very least (but more likely two or three) to get on Koufax's overall level, but hey, there's still time.

• Like 2

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I knew this thread was here somewhere! :)

I hope this stat line is worthy of a nearly-year bump, but I found it really interesting.

It's been easy for me as a history junkie to compare Clayton Kershaw to Sandy Koufax; two insanely dominant left-handed Dodger aces that are the premier pitchers of their time. What surprised me in comparing the two is how close a few of their stats are. I focused mostly on avg per 162 game season stats because Koufax still has the longer career by 3 seasons at this point (though some overall career stats are fairly close, though).

Where they're identical

Average W-L per 162 games: 16-8

Cy Youngs: 3

MVPs: 1

Where they're close

Avg. Hits allowed per 162 games: Kershaw 167, Koufax 168

Career Win Pct.: Kershaw .677, Koufax .655

Avg Strikeouts per 162 games: Kershaw 247, Koufax 229

Avg. IP per 162 games: Kershaw 227, Koufax 222

Avg. GS per 162 games: Kershaw 34, Koufax 30

Career ERA titles: Kershaw 4, Koufax 5

Aside of course from the obvious difference in World Series titles, it's fascinating to see how close their careers have turned out to be. Yes, he needs a ring at the very least (but more likely two or three) to get on Koufax's overall level, but hey, there's still time.

And with the benefits of (hopefully) good health and modern medicine, Kershaw should be able to keep pitching for quite a bit longer than Koufax did. The future is far from a given, of course - we've seen plenty of elite pitchers fall off a cliff in their early 30's - but there's a very good chance Kershaw winds up combining Koufax's prime with much greater longevity.

It's amazing that he's only 28 still - he's been pitching at an elite level for 8 (!!!) years now. I can only hope there are a lot of years left in that arm.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...