Cosmic

Wherein We Discuss Theme Parks

362 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

This is... amazing. I can not wait until this opens. It's like... It's like it's real. Like it's a real place. A place I can go to. The world of Star Wars would be that close to real, to being lived in. I almost can't believe it. It's a dream.

3 people like this

Interesting rumored details of Star Wars Land here... it sounds like they're taking what they started with Pandora, and going two steps further.

"Will they admit that traditional theme park rules won’t apply in the new hyper-themed land and that without normal signage and labels guests will be expected to navigate the land using an App? Will WDI admit to their new rules for Star Wars like having rides with no entry marquees and wait time signs, or forbidding park sponsors like Coke and Visa to display their logos since they don’t exist in a galaxy far away, or not allowing any manager in “business casual” attire to walk through the land and ruin the scene?"

http://micechat.com/166257-miceage-disneyland-rumor-update-bye-bye-buggies/

1 person likes this

Is there any place to live stream the Parks and Resorts session today?

20 minutes ago, DDR said:

Is there any place to live stream the Parks and Resorts session today?

Not that I'm aware of.  D23 doesn't usually stream live.

1 person likes this

I saw OhMyDisney was streaming a few smaller things. Oh well. 

Do the sessions ever get released after the fact? Or do we just need to rely on blogs and reports?

3 minutes ago, DDR said:

I saw OhMyDisney was streaming a few smaller things. Oh well. 

Do the sessions ever get released after the fact? Or do we just need to rely on blogs and reports?

Phones are banned from the studio presentation that's going on right now; they probably will be banned from the parks & resorts presentation later, as well. Disney will probably release an official video of anything noteworthy. There have been official videos in the past of things like the Fantasyland expansion and Star Tours 2.

Bob Iger said there would be a lot of announcements in the parks & resorts presentation!

1 person likes this

It will be after the fact, but Inside the Magic on YouTube has some videos from yesterday posted already.

1 person likes this

Live stream: https://twitter.com/WDWNT

Star Wars lands will be Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge. Nobody will call it that, but it's not a bad name.

2 people like this

The lands, both called Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, will allow guests to visit a remote trading port on the edge of wild space, where Star Wars characters and their stories come to life – and where guests will find themselves in the middle of the action.

The lands will feature two major attractions that put guests in the middle of a battle between the First Order and the Resistance. Each attraction – and even the land itself – will offer guests the chance to immerse themselves in the Star Wars universe like never before.

One attraction will make you feel like you’re on a Star Destroyer inside a hangar bay. It’s an attraction built on a scale we’ve never done before.

The second attraction will give guests the opportunity to fly the Millenium Falcon, piloting the ship, shooting blasters or preparing for hyperspace – all while completing a critical mission. But how you perform on the mission holds even bigger stakes: perform with skill and you may earn extra galactic credits, while bringing the ship back banged up could put you on the list of a bounty hunter. End up on Harkos’s list and you may face a problem if you show up at the local cantina!

Can't wait. I really wonder how all this is going to work with it seeming like a live story and not just a theme park land, especially with the Millenium Falcon ride.

Guests will also encounter many familiar faces inside Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, including BB-8, Chewbacca, members of the First Order and – among many others – Rex, the troublesome pilot you may remember from the previous version of a certain Disney attraction who takes on a new role in this land as the DJ at the cantina.

Rex hype!

And Hondo!

DEz0t8XUwAAeuBB.jpg

The Millenium Falcon ride. :censored: yes.

DEz06rQV0AAdHch.jpg

And the Resistance vs First Order/Battle Escape ride will take you into a replica of a Star Destroyer launch bay

hggkjgugjht66966475.jpg

DEz1Yc1VoAAV4TA.jpg

Star Wars LARP hotel confirmed. Start saving now.

40 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Star Wars LARP hotel confirmed. Start saving now.

Each room will have a "window" with a view of "space" (Basically, no windows with outside views lol)

Image_WDW_Star-Wars-Themed-Resort-3.jpg

SWRHWDW657987643.jpg

Image_WDW_Star-Wars-Themed-Resort-2.jpg

54 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Each room will have a "window" with a view of "space" (Basically, no windows with outside views lol)

Image_WDW_Star-Wars-Themed-Resort-3.jpg

SWRHWDW657987643.jpg

Image_WDW_Star-Wars-Themed-Resort-2.jpg

Based on the survey/rumors that came out a few months ago, you'd basically walk into the hotel and not leave for two days. I don't even know if you'd go to the adjacent theme park land. But there's supposed to be a whole itinerary at the hotel where some kind of story unfolds with you a part of it. Just give them your bank account routing number, and it can all be yours...

There is actually precedent for the "no windows" thing. Every cruise ship has "interior staterooms" that don't have windows. Disney put "virtual portholes" in these rooms, which are just TVs with a live view of the outside and Disney characters pop in to your "porthole" every once in a while. Now, those rooms are in high demand. This hotel sounds a lot like a cruise ship on dry land.

Lots of cool stuff announced, but it's what wasn't covered that stands out to me. I'm hoping we'll still get some concrete info soon on:

1. New pavilions at EPCOT

2. New name for Hollywood Studios

3. Updates to Tomorrowland

4. Zootopia land at AK

5. Moana Volcano Ride

9 hours ago, DDR said:

Lots of cool stuff announced, but it's what wasn't covered that stands out to me. I'm hoping we'll still get some concrete info soon on:

4. Zootopia land at AK

5. Moana Volcano Ride

Are those rumors? Or announcements that were glanced over without explanation or vague ETAs?

9 hours ago, DDR said:

4. Zootopia land at AK

5. Moana Volcano Ride

@jrodsep This is my POV, based on what I've heard:

1. Brazil is supposedly a lock. The same guy that said the Speedway wasn't going away when everyone else did said there could be even more than that in the next 10 years.

2. I'm not entirely convinced that a new name is coming. When they re-named DCA, it was about two years before Carsland opened. We're right about two years away from Star Wars Galaxy's Edge from opening, so the Expo just now would have been the equivalent time to announce it.

3. Probably still coming relatively soon. At the very least, they should replace Stitch by the 50th anniversary in 2021. The Speedway is supposedly getting enhancements that weren't announced yesterday.

4 and 5 I think are just rumors. I hope Zootopia doesn't show up at Animal Kingdom; I think it's a terrible fit. There were plans for an Atlantis volcano near PotC, but the movie wasn't successful enough to get the ride. It's possible Disney pulls out those plans and updates them, but I'm personally not feeling it. Between Tron and the new theater, I think they think MK has enough for a little while.

@Cosmic Do you think it would have been better to have the Mickey ride on MK where the new theater is gonna be and the Chinese theater becoming the performance center instead? To me it feels more appropriate to have the first Mickey-centric attraction on MK instead of HS. 

5 minutes ago, jrodsep said:

@Cosmic Do you think it would have been better to have the Mickey ride on MK where the new theater is gonna be and the Chinese theater becoming the performance center instead? To me it feels more appropriate to have the first Mickey-centric attraction on MK instead of HS. 

Personally, I think they should freeze any new builds at MK for a while. The theater is actually something MK needs; I think it will help with capacity there, but it's the only park with "enough" IMO. There, they should focus on updating the stuff that works, and replacing the few things that don't work. Replace Stitch, and possibly use those AAs to add the Tokyo version of the Tiki room. Rebuild Space Mountain, give BTMRR the upgrades from DL. If they feel adventurous, they could build a Primeval World diorama for the railroad with the figures from the Universe of Energy.

The only thing wrong with the Mickey ride is that it's replacing the Great Movie Ride. GMR was that park's mission statement ride. It'd be akin to seeing Spaceship Earth close; I hope we never see that day. Even with Star Wars and Toy Story Land, DHS will not have a ton of stuff. The Star Wars stuff will be mind-blowing, but I think you could definitely still argue that it will be the worst of the four parks when they have finished building what they've announced. They need to be adding, not just replacing. I wish they could have used the Mickey ride to anchor a new animation-themed area to run between Sunset Blvd/RnRC area and the Disney Jr area. 

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, DDR said:

4. Zootopia land at AK

5. Moana Volcano Ride

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

@jrodsep This is my POV, based on what I've heard:

1. Brazil is supposedly a lock. The same guy that said the Speedway wasn't going away when everyone else did said there could be even more than that in the next 10 years.

2. I'm not entirely convinced that a new name is coming. When they re-named DCA, it was about two years before Carsland opened. We're right about two years away from Star Wars Galaxy's Edge from opening, so the Expo just now would have been the equivalent time to announce it.

3. Probably still coming relatively soon. At the very least, they should replace Stitch by the 50th anniversary in 2021. The Speedway is supposedly getting enhancements that weren't announced yesterday.

4 and 5 I think are just rumors. I hope Zootopia doesn't show up at Animal Kingdom; I think it's a terrible fit. There were plans for an Atlantis volcano near PotC, but the movie wasn't successful enough to get the ride. It's possible Disney pulls out those plans and updates them, but I'm personally not feeling it. Between Tron and the new theater, I think they think MK has enough for a little while.

1-3 probably have a good chance of happening prior to the WDW 50th in 2021, but for as much as they announced yesterday they can probably save some more for the next D23 in 2019.

4 is a possibility, but likely won't open until we see a Zootopia 2 hit theaters (and from what I've read this movie is in the works).

5 is the least likely, but you never know.