Cosmic

Wherein We Discuss Theme Parks

AstroBull21    542
1 hour ago, jrodsep said:

@Cosmic Do you think it would have been better to have the Mickey ride on MK where the new theater is gonna be and the Chinese theater becoming the performance center instead? To me it feels more appropriate to have the first Mickey-centric attraction on MK instead of HS. 

35 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Personally, I think they should freeze any new builds at MK for a while. The theater is actually something MK needs; I think it will help with capacity there, but it's the only park with "enough" IMO. There, they should focus on updating the stuff that works, and replacing the few things that don't work. Replace Stitch, and possibly use those AAs to add the Tokyo version of the Tiki room. Rebuild Space Mountain, give BTMRR the upgrades from DL. If they feel adventurous, they could build a Primeval World diorama for the railroad with the figures from the Universe of Energy.

The only thing wrong with the Mickey ride is that it's replacing the Great Movie Ride. GMR was that park's mission statement ride. It'd be akin to seeing Spaceship Earth close; I hope we never see that day. Even with Star Wars and Toy Story Land, DHS will not have a ton of stuff. The Star Wars stuff will be mind-blowing, but I think you could definitely still argue that it will be the worst of the four parks when they have finished building what they've announced. They need to be adding, not just replacing. I wish they could have used the Mickey ride to anchor a new animation-themed area to run between Sunset Blvd/RnRC area and the Disney Jr area. 

The reason we are seeing the GMR close and be rethemed is that the deal with Turner Classic Movies ends in 2018 and Disney is in an age of not wanting to depend on the intellectual property of outside parties.  With the general concept of the Hollywood park in Florida adapting to less movie making and more movie/entertainment experiences, this makes sense.

As for a new park name, I suppose that name will come into effect when Galaxys Edge opens in Florida and I have a feeling the name spchange will be minor.  Something like Disneys Hollywood Adventure.

Cosmic    2,501
Just now, AstroBull21 said:

The reason we are seeing the GMR close and be rethemed is that the deal with Turner Classic Movies ends in 2018 and Disney is in an age of not wanting to depend on the intellectual property of outside parties.  With the general concept of the Hollywood park in Florida adapting to less movie making and more movie/entertainment experiences, this makes sense.

As for a new park name, I suppose that name will come into effect when Galaxys Edge opens in Florida and I have a feeling the name spchange will be minor.  Something like Disneys Hollywood Adventure.

The TCM deal is just sponsorship; it's no different than Siemens or Nestle or AT&T or Alamo having their names on rides at various points in history; the rights to use the movies are all separate from this last TCM update the ride received. The ride was also conceived at a time when Disney did not have the catalog that it does today; they could have updated the ride to focus more on Disney movies. There is still a spot for GMR, since the entire front section of the park will still transport you to Hollywood.

See Red    752

I can't think of too many things I'd wait in line five hours just to do and riding a Disney ride sure ain't one of 'em.

Thankfully we were able to snag a fast pass for the Na'vi River Journey. 

IMG_3110.PNG

AstroBull21    542
33 minutes ago, See Red said:

I can't think of too many things I'd wait in line five hours just to do and riding a Disney ride sure ain't one of 'em.

Thankfully we were able to snag a fast pass for the Na'vi River Journey. 

IMG_3110.PNG

I went there 2 weeks ago Sunday and walked into the Animal Kingdom around 745am and headed right to Pandora.  The ride would not open until 9am and the line of people waiting was a 2hr wait.

I told my fiancé that we would look for fastpasses sometime in the offseason.