Cosmic

Wherein We Discuss Theme Parks

DDR    926

The Dinosaur ride is overrated (I've heard some people say it's one of their favorites in all of WDW), but it's not that bad to me. But the Primeval Whirl is unequivocally my least favorite ride in any theme park. It's a concussion waiting to happen.

McCarthy    6,368

Two pages in and not one mention of Cedar Point?

I have a love/hate relationship with Cedar Point.

Had my first kiss at Cedar Point, but the same girl made me go on all the rides I hate, which is every single ride that could fit the definition of roller coaster.

Love it for the people watching. Some of the weirdest creatures I've ever seen were other humans at Cedar Point. The type of people that make you question how you're members of the same species. Hate it because crowds are a nightmare and I get agitated to the point of exhaustion.

the admiral    9,860

Some of the weirdest creatures I've ever seen were other humans at Cedar Point.

Summerfest in Milwaukee was like this for me.

teddthebucfan    246

Had my first kiss at Cedar Point, but the same girl made me go on all the rides I hate, which is every single ride that could fit the definition of roller coaster.

Love it for the people watching. Some of the weirdest creatures I've ever seen were other humans at Cedar Point. The type of people that make you question how you're members of the same species. Hate it because crowds are a nightmare and I get agitated to the point of exhaustion.

Why the hell did you agree to go to Cedar Point if you hate Roller Coasters? It's like agreeing to go to the Louvre and hoping they don't make you look at paintings.

McCarthy    6,368

Why the hell did you agree to go to Cedar Point if you hate Roller Coasters? It's like agreeing to go to the Louvre and hoping they don't make you look at paintings.

Because there's a cute girl who really likes looking at paintings and you're 14 and you really want to hold her hand so you lie and tell her you like looking at paintings even though looking at paintings scares the :censored: out of you.

Cosmic    2,474

I think Avatar Land will be strong enough to transcend the movies. People love Splash Mountain; how many of them even know what Song of the South is? Avatar takes a lot of heat for dialogue and story, but I think most everyone liked the world of Pandora. It's going to be something on the scale of Carsland, where the land itself is an attraction. There is steel going up now, with construction visible inside the park. The scale is going to be impressive. The main ride is going to basically be Soarin' 2.0. I love Soarin', and "insiders" on other boards have said that it's an insult to the new ride to call it "Soarin' 2.0"... that gets me pumped for that. The boat ride also looks like it could be pretty cool; I have heard that the Navi animatronics are going to be the new top-of-the-line.

I think Dinoland is basically a failure at a conceptual level. It's there because kids like dinosaurs, but the only ride where you can see "real" dinosaurs is IMO the scariest ride at WDW. And the time travel conceit of that ride makes it hard to have another ride with "real" dinos. The whole land should have been set in a time or place where there could be dinosaurs all over the place... maybe like a Lost World, King Kong kinda thing. The original plan instead of the uber-cheap Dino-rama was to have a coaster themed around a ride through a dig site, which would have been a huge improvement over Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama, but I'd still rather have some more dinos running around somehow.

4705.Beastly_2D00_Excavator_2D00_2.jpg

If anyone's ridden Dinosaur and found it underwhelming, that ride has the exact same ride system and track layout as the Indiana Jones ride at Disneyland. Just to show you what could be done in that space...

Mockba    1,204

Going to Six Flags St. Louis in a couple weeks, which should be alright. Coasters are okay and the park overall is nothing special.

Respect my childhood!

...or, at least, respect the Screaming Eagle, the old wooden beast.

DDR    926

I don't have any feelings about the movie 'Avatar' one way or the other, but I am 100% certain that AvatarLand or whatever they end up calling it will be visually awe-inspiring. The source material is great and Disney does not disappoint with things like this.

Back to DinoLand...I hadn't seen that concept art for the "dig site" coaster before, but that could have been pretty cool and certainly better than where they ended up. I'm aware of the conceptual story behind the current DinoLand so I know why it looks like a cheap local carnival, but it just doesn't work.

Cosmic    2,474

Back to DinoLand...I hadn't seen that concept art for the "dig site" coaster before, but that could have been pretty cool and certainly better than where they ended up. I'm aware of the conceptual story behind the current DinoLand so I know why it looks like a cheap local carnival, but it just doesn't work.

They did an excellent job bringing the "tacky roadside attraction" theme to life... the problem is that it's a sucky theme. They have fancy concrete molded and painted to look like a cracked, old parking lot. Most people probably just think they built it cheaply on an old parking lot.

chester_hester2.jpg

Ben5    193

I took my wife to Kings Island about two weeks ago. She did not like the roller coasters, which is the main appeal of the park. We did do the bumper cars twice, which was fun.

Cosmic    2,474

The new Soarin' will have a different ending for each park that it's in. They already filmed at Disneyland/DCA sometime last spring; I assume they've already filmed at WDW, but I can't recall. I'm apprehensive about the new film; I think the current one is pretty much perfect.

infrared41    3,627

Weird is putting it mildly. Speaking of which, the formula for the amount of clothing one wears at Cedar Point seems to be higher weight = less clothes. I've seen more of a 350 lb woman at Cedar Point than any law abiding citizen should ever be subjected to.

If you go before mid-June it's like having the park to yourself.

monkeypower    644

The new Soarin' will have a different ending for each park that it's in. They already filmed at Disneyland/DCA sometime last spring; I assume they've already filmed at WDW, but I can't recall. I'm apprehensive about the new film; I think the current one is pretty much perfect.

I don't know, the hang glider during the waterfall scene is a pretty dated looking animation but it's so minor compared to the rest of the film.

As long as they don't change the music, I'll be fine. The Soarin' music is definitely one of my favorite Disneyland music tracks.

burgundy    530

Weird is putting it mildly. Speaking of which, the formula for the amount of clothing one wears at Cedar Point seems to be higher weight = less clothes. I've seen more of a 350 lb woman at Cedar Point than any law abiding citizen should ever be subjected to.

If you go before mid-June it's like having the park to yourself.

It's probably because the water rides are the only rides they can fit on, and for some reason they decided wearing a bikini was a good idea. There's supposed to be a rule that you have to wear a shirt and pants in the main Park, but it's never enforced in the Frontier Town/ Frontier Trail area.

As for having the park to yourself, last year I went on the first Sunday of Halloweekends, and it was eerily dead. We walked right on everything.

Also, this was my favorite Halloweekends prop:

WP_20140921_16_05_55_Pro_zpsvmnuopaz.jpg

Cosmic    2,474

Rumors hot off the press from MiceAge. The most interesting bits were vague descriptions of the major rides for both Star Wars and Marvel. This pertains to Disneyland, but we'd probably see both of these in WDW in some form, as well.

Star Wars:

"But what we can tell you is that Star Wars Land will include multiple attractions, anchored by a mega E Ticket using a trackless vehicle that will break the mold when it comes to how theme park visitors interact with a ride environment."

Marvel:

"The plans to expand DCA again with a Marvel Land behind Tower of Terror continue to move ahead, and the E Ticket thrill ride that is planned to anchor that expansion is going to be very unique. The ride will feature a newly Imagineered hybrid ride system that might be best described as a combination of Rock N’ Roller Coaster and Universal’s Transformers ride using every trick and gimmick WDI can throw at it, including on-board audio and effects and elaborate sets and animatronics."

Sign me up.

http://micechat.com/108619-disneyland-rumors-starwars/

Cosmic    2,474

I don't know, the hang glider during the waterfall scene is a pretty dated looking animation but it's so minor compared to the rest of the film.

As long as they don't change the music, I'll be fine. The Soarin' music is definitely one of my favorite Disneyland music tracks.

I've heard some people say the HD upgrade and digital projection make the CGI stick out really bad, and some people say it looks great. Regardless, the CGI is something that could be updated relatively easily. The base film itself is solid.

TheOldRoman    1,099

Rumors hot off the press from MiceAge. The most interesting bits were vague descriptions of the major rides for both Star Wars and Marvel. This pertains to Disneyland, but we'd probably see both of these in WDW in some form, as well.

Star Wars:

"But what we can tell you is that Star Wars Land will include multiple attractions, anchored by a mega E Ticket using a trackless vehicle that will break the mold when it comes to how theme park visitors interact with a ride environment."

Marvel:

"The plans to expand DCA again with a Marvel Land behind Tower of Terror continue to move ahead, and the E Ticket thrill ride that is planned to anchor that expansion is going to be very unique. The ride will feature a newly Imagineered hybrid ride system that might be best described as a combination of Rock N’ Roller Coaster and Universal’s Transformers ride using every trick and gimmick WDI can throw at it, including on-board audio and effects and elaborate sets and animatronics."

Sign me up.

http://micechat.com/108619-disneyland-rumors-starwars/

I heard last week that Disney just bought up some hotels near DCA. That would probably allow them to, at very least, move the service vehicle parking behind Tower of Terror and put up something substantial. That's a decent amount of land. Where is the Star Wars land rumored to be? Also in DCA?