Cosmic

Wherein We Discuss Theme Parks

327 posts in this topic

I'm going to Orlando this September but plan on skipping Hollywood Studios, Epcot and Animal Kingdom, due to the fact that they will eventually get better when we go back on 2020.

Some rumors for HS is Star Wars Land and Cars Land. For Animal Kingdom is Avatar Land (meh). Epcot is the updated Soaring, Innoventions will become something like a Marvel Showcase (like Disneyland) and I read something Nintendo related over Islands of Adventure.

Cesar Point is allegedly getting a B&M dive machine in 2016.

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2015/08/10/icymi-plans-for-supposed-new-cedar-point-roller-coaster-leaked

Not sure on height, but I've heard somewhere in the range of 250 feet.

Swoon.

I like when we stopped trying to set stupid speed and height records, and started trying to make good coasters again. That was a super fun transition. Getting rid of Son of Beast for Banshee was the best thing Kings Island ever did.

Also: Kennywood is the best theme park.

I've went to every park at WDW twice (except for Animal Kingdom) when I was a kid, so I remember quite a few things from them. I still would say that Epcot is my favourite, even though several aspects of it were outdated during my last visit about 10 years ago, so are probably much more dated now. Just the concept of the park itself is awesome.

Rumors hot off the press from MiceAge. The most interesting bits were vague descriptions of the major rides for both Star Wars and Marvel. This pertains to Disneyland, but we'd probably see both of these in WDW in some form, as well.

Star Wars:

"But what we can tell you is that Star Wars Land will include multiple attractions, anchored by a mega E Ticket using a trackless vehicle that will break the mold when it comes to how theme park visitors interact with a ride environment."

Marvel:

"The plans to expand DCA again with a Marvel Land behind Tower of Terror continue to move ahead, and the E Ticket thrill ride that is planned to anchor that expansion is going to be very unique. The ride will feature a newly Imagineered hybrid ride system that might be best described as a combination of Rock N Roller Coaster and Universals Transformers ride using every trick and gimmick WDI can throw at it, including on-board audio and effects and elaborate sets and animatronics."

Sign me up.

http://micechat.com/108619-disneyland-rumors-starwars/

I heard last week that Disney just bought up some hotels near DCA. That would probably allow them to, at very least, move the service vehicle parking behind Tower of Terror and put up something substantial. That's a decent amount of land. Where is the Star Wars land rumored to be? Also in DCA?

Star Wars land is rumored (but almost assured) to be taking over Toontown, an underused part of Frontierland, and some service areas north of the park that are moving to done of that land they just bought. At DCA, there is some surface parking behind Tower of Terror and apparently a road that isn't really needed. There are maps at the link above; I'm in phone, so it would be a pain to put them up right now.

Marvel at WDW is basically a dead issue. Universal has the rights to most any worthwhile characters east of the Mississippi. Disney can use Guardians of the Galaxy, maybe Inhumans or maybe Dr. Strange from upcoming movies, but the heavy hitters are all spoken for. There is a rumor that Universal would be allowed to use the MCU versions of the characters in their park in exchange for some concessions to Disney, but I wouldn't expect anything drastic even if that deal does happen.

Obviously super excited about Star Wars Land, because :censored: yeah, but it's kind of a shame that Toontown is being done away with.

Obviously super excited about Star Wars Land, because :censored: yeah, but it's kind of a shame that Toontown is being done away with.

It was great for what it was back when it first opened, but it's aged horribly. Between the neglect to that part of the park and most of the original attractions there fading into obscurity, it was just a matter of time before ToonTown hit the chopping block.

Not too thrilled about Star Wars-land taking that spot as they could easily incorporate it into Tomorrowland or take over DCA's Hollywood backlot area, but I'm sure it will be really well done regardless and a significant upgrade over ToonTown.

I'm going to Orlando this September but plan on skipping Hollywood Studios, Epcot and Animal Kingdom, due to the fact that they will eventually get better when we go back on 2020.

Some rumors for HS is Star Wars Land and Cars Land. For Animal Kingdom is Avatar Land (meh). Epcot is the updated Soaring, Innoventions will become something like a Marvel Showcase (like Disneyland) and I read something Nintendo related over Islands of Adventure.

There's still plenty to love about HS, EP and AK and 2020 is a long time away. I don't know what else you plan on doing in Orlando (Universal?), but each of the aforementioned parks is worth at least half a day. If you have an extra day, it'd be worth squeezing a couple in. Hollywood Studios alone, while in need of updating, is home to 3 of the top 10 rides at WDW in my opinion.

I will say you are wrong, and go with Animal Kingdom. It may not have the big ticket rides, but the theming (apart from Dinoland) is phenomenal. I don't even care about the rides (but Kilimanjaro safaris and Expedition Everest are fantastic), I could spend a day just strolling around in that Park and never feel as though I've seen it all.

Hollywood Studios is the best park at WDW. Period.

What's there is solid, but there just isn't enough. And the layout is really weird, because most of what is the park now was not supposed to be open to walking traffic.

Marvel at WDW is basically a dead issue. Universal has the rights to most any worthwhile characters east of the Mississippi. Disney can use Guardians of the Galaxy, maybe Inhumans or maybe Dr. Strange from upcoming movies, but the heavy hitters are all spoken for. There is a rumor that Universal would be allowed to use the MCU versions of the characters in their park in exchange for some concessions to Disney, but I wouldn't expect anything drastic even if that deal does happen.

Correct at the moment Marvel is a dead issue at WDW. Universal has theme park rights to Marvel properties. I was pleasantly surprised to see an Avengers wrapped monorail train back when the first Avengers movie came out, but the loophole they got around was that the monorail never crosses into the MK boundaries.

There's also been some slight rumors of Universal allowing Disney the Marvel rights and re theming that Marvel land @ Islands of Adventure.

On another note, for you all who want the most up to date theme park news, check out www.screamscape.com. I've followed that site since forever and they have some really great news and rumors about parks around the globe.

Which characters does Universal have the rights to? I know they have the Hulk rollercoaster and have seen Spiderman in their advertising. Do they have all the Avengers there?

And do the WDW parks never feature Marvel characters? We saw Captain America and Thor at Disneyland a few weeks back. It's crazy if they are only allowed to appear in California.

There's still plenty to love about HS, EP and AK and 2020 is a long time away. I don't know what else you plan on doing in Orlando (Universal?), but each of the aforementioned parks is worth at least half a day. If you have an extra day, it'd be worth squeezing a couple in. Hollywood Studios alone, while in need of updating, is home to 3 of the top 10 rides at WDW in my opinion.

It's not a question of time but money right now. I'm only going with my wife (huge hater of theme parks) and my 5 YO son. Basically I had to pick the parks with the more bang for my buck, we chose Magic Kingdom, Universal and Islands of Adventure. Plus, the whole family is planning a trip on 2020 (my parents 40th anniversary) and I think there will be a lot more to see on Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios by then.

Which characters does Universal have the rights to? I know they have the Hulk rollercoaster and have seen Spiderman in their advertising. Do they have all the Avengers there?

And do the WDW parks never feature Marvel characters? We saw Captain America and Thor at Disneyland a few weeks back. It's crazy if they are only allowed to appear in California.

You can actually read the whole contract on the SEC website here.

The gist is that Universal has rights to any "family" of characters that they use. They have Fantastic Four, Avengers, Spider-Man, X-Men, and possibly more that I can't think of off the top of my head. That includes all side characters and associated villains. The contract doesn't define what a "family" is, and this has led to much arguing on Disney fan forums. Pretty much everyone has been an Avenger at some point, but does that make them in that family? Disney actually had a Guardians of the Galaxy movie preview inside a park, so the general consensus is that Guardians is safe for use in Florida. Disney still can't use the Marvel name, though, even when they have characters that they're allowed to use (see below). The rumor that I had heard is that Universal let the west coast rights lapse just before the MCU started getting huge and Disney bought Marvel. Disney can do anything it wants with Marvel in Disneyland.

ST+Guardians+of+the+Galaxy.jpg

1 person likes this

Being here in northeastern PA we have a handful of parks within a day's driving distance. HersheyPark, Six Flags: Great America, Knoebel's Grove, Dutch Wonderland and Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom.

So yeah; if you lived around here like I do, you have a good selection of parks to visit.

1 person likes this

Growing up in Capital District of NY, we had Storytown, now Six Flags Great Escape. Funny, the park made money for the old owner, then when Six Flags took it over and Daniel Snyder was in charge, he almost folded it, due to his ineptitude! Now, it's back to a money maker.

I've visited many parks, including both Busch Gardens, Disney World, HersheyPark, and the now closed Darian Lake in Buffalo. The most fun I've ever had was when my wife and I went to King's Dominion outside of Richmond VA. We were there the day AFTER Memorial Day. The park was practically empty. We rode the coasters two, three times without getting off! The next day, we did Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, and it was the same: Double, triple rides..:)

Being here in northeastern PA we have a handful of parks within a day's driving distance. HersheyPark, Six Flags: Great America, Knoebel's Grove, Dutch Wonderland and Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom.

So yeah; if you lived around here like I do, you have a good selection of parks to visit.

While I haven't been there in probably 10 years, Hersheypark was an awesome place to go as a kid. I was actually scrolling through their website the other week seeing just what they've added since the last time I was there.

I haven't been to Dutch Wonderland in an even longer time, but it looks like they've made some drastic improvements there, while still being targeted towards smaller kids. My grandfather used to do a lot of work for them, repairing various character statues (which I'm sure no longer exist due to licensing issues) and other things.

Growing up in Capital District of NY, we had Storytown, now Six Flags Great Escape. Funny, the park made money for the old owner, then when Six Flags took it over and Daniel Snyder was in charge, he almost folded it, due to his ineptitude! Now, it's back to a money maker.

I've visited many parks, including both Busch Gardens, Disney World, HersheyPark, and the now closed Darian Lake in Buffalo. The most fun I've ever had was when my wife and I went to King's Dominion outside of Richmond VA. We were there the day AFTER Memorial Day. The park was practically empty. We rode the coasters two, three times without getting off! The next day, we did Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, and it was the same: Double, triple rides.. :)

Darien Lake isn't closed; you might be confused with them de-Six-Flagsing a few years ago.