Cosmic

Wherein We Discuss Theme Parks

I haven't been to HersheyPark in a few years. My grandfather used to work at PPL and a few years they had HersheyPark as the venue for the PPL company picnic; but they don't do that anymore because it was too expensive to buy out the entire park for the day; which they did up until the end of their stay at HersheyPark.

burgundy    529

What a moron. And to think he was about to be a high school guidance counselor. Real great example you were trying to set there by going into a restricted area.

TheOldRoman    1,099

You can actually read the whole contract on the SEC website here.

The gist is that Universal has rights to any "family" of characters that they use. They have Fantastic Four, Avengers, Spider-Man, X-Men, and possibly more that I can't think of off the top of my head. That includes all side characters and associated villains. The contract doesn't define what a "family" is, and this has led to much arguing on Disney fan forums. Pretty much everyone has been an Avenger at some point, but does that make them in that family? Disney actually had a Guardians of the Galaxy movie preview inside a park, so the general consensus is that Guardians is safe for use in Florida. Disney still can't use the Marvel name, though, even when they have characters that they're allowed to use (see below). The rumor that I had heard is that Universal let the west coast rights lapse just before the MCU started getting huge and Disney bought Marvel. Disney can do anything it wants with Marvel in Disneyland.

Thanks. It sucks for this and the movies that Marvel sold off its rights back in the day (although I like what Fox has done with the X-Men). I wonder if Universal has rights to movie versions of the characters. I mean, there's a big difference between Captain America in the feathered suit and what he wore in the movies. Not that Disney would be allowed to use the movie versions in WDW if Universal wasn't, but still interesting.

Anyway, considering that Disney can't do anything Marvel in Florida for the time being, that's all the more reason for them to build a huge Marvel land in Anaheim. It's great that they're doing more unique attractions to draw people to those parks. We just went to Disneyland a few weeks back, and we hadn't been there since 2010. I really like the changes they've made since then. The revamped DCA is much better, and Cars Land is great. Marvel has been around for a real long time, and these characters are huge, particularly with boys. Disney has managed the property about as well as any company could, as they have cartoons for the Avengers, Hulk, Spider-Man, and soon GotG on the Disney XD channel. Disney's printing money with Marvel. Honestly, at least one out of ten people, men, women or children, was wearing a Captain America shirt in the parks when we went. It's huge and would be just the thing to bring people in who normally only go to Disney World.

leopard88    848

I haven't been to HersheyPark in a few years. My grandfather used to work at PPL and a few years they had HersheyPark as the venue for the PPL company picnic; but they don't do that anymore because it was too expensive to buy out the entire park for the day; which they did up until the end of their stay at HersheyPark.

We did the company day thing at HersheyPark back in April with a friend of my son (through his mother's employer). The water park was closed and there weren't many shows. However, for the rides, it was phenomenal.

My son and his friends probably had 20 roller coaster rides. The longest wait of the day was probably 10 minutes, with some of the rides being "get off, head back and get right back on." We are now forever spoiled.

We did the company day thing at HersheyPark back in April with a friend of my son (through his mother's employer). The water park was closed and there weren't many shows. However, for the rides, it was phenomenal.

My son and his friends probably had 20 roller coaster rides. The longest wait of the day was probably 10 minutes, with some of the rides being "get off, head back and get right back on." We are now forever spoiled.

The last time I was there, there was no waterpark. There was the Roller Soaker (which was demolished to make room for the waterpark) and a river rapids and log flume ride but no designated "waterpark area".

Cosmic    2,474

Universal can't use the movie versions of the characters right now. There is a rumor that Disney would give them the movie versions for a new Avengers ride in exchange for some (probably small) concessions. Don't buy any rumor that has Disney paying to retheme Universal's Marvel land... that is mucho dinero that Disney could use to build their own rides from another property.

kmccarthy27    48

Universal can't use the movie versions of the characters right now. There is a rumor that Disney would give them the movie versions for a new Avengers ride in exchange for some (probably small) concessions. Don't buy any rumor that has Disney paying to retheme Universal's Marvel land... that is mucho dinero that Disney could use to build their own rides from another property.

I have read that all Disney wants is the MCU versions of the characters, but Universal does not want to give anything they have up.

I assume the Nintendo deal was done just in case the Marvel license goes away at Universal. Hulk could be one hell of a Mario Kart themed coaster.

kmccarthy27    48

You can actually read the whole contract on the SEC website here.

The gist is that Universal has rights to any "family" of characters that they use. They have Fantastic Four, Avengers, Spider-Man, X-Men, and possibly more that I can't think of off the top of my head. That includes all side characters and associated villains. The contract doesn't define what a "family" is, and this has led to much arguing on Disney fan forums. Pretty much everyone has been an Avenger at some point, but does that make them in that family? Disney actually had a Guardians of the Galaxy movie preview inside a park, so the general consensus is that Guardians is safe for use in Florida. Disney still can't use the Marvel name, though, even when they have characters that they're allowed to use (see below). The rumor that I had heard is that Universal let the west coast rights lapse just before the MCU started getting huge and Disney bought Marvel. Disney can do anything it wants with Marvel in Disneyland.

Thanks. It sucks for this and the movies that Marvel sold off its rights back in the day (although I like what Fox has done with the X-Men). I wonder if Universal has rights to movie versions of the characters. I mean, there's a big difference between Captain America in the feathered suit and what he wore in the movies. Not that Disney would be allowed to use the movie versions in WDW if Universal wasn't, but still interesting.

Anyway, considering that Disney can't do anything Marvel in Florida for the time being, that's all the more reason for them to build a huge Marvel land in Anaheim. It's great that they're doing more unique attractions to draw people to those parks. We just went to Disneyland a few weeks back, and we hadn't been there since 2010. I really like the changes they've made since then. The revamped DCA is much better, and Cars Land is great. Marvel has been around for a real long time, and these characters are huge, particularly with boys. Disney has managed the property about as well as any company could, as they have cartoons for the Avengers, Hulk, Spider-Man, and soon GotG on the Disney XD channel. Disney's printing money with Marvel. Honestly, at least one out of ten people, men, women or children, was wearing a Captain America shirt in the parks when we went. It's huge and would be just the thing to bring people in who normally only go to Disney World.

I see this quote in the deal:

"themed around the Marvel properties. Marvel hereby grants MCA a license to use Marvel’s characters for the purposes, on the terms and to the extent set forth herein.

In developing and implementing THE MARVEL UNIVERSE, MCA will follow and be consistent with The Official Handbook of The Marvel Universe, Marvel’s Style Guide and such other descriptive design/style materials as may be provided by Marvel. This Marvel-themed complex would be designed in coordination with Marvel, and all major elements and themes would be subject to Marvel’s reasonable approval. As set forth in Section IV(A)(1)"

Couldn't Disney be really shady, and just say that they do not approve of the Universal Attractions and it does not follow new Style Guides and such, and say that therefore violates the agreement.

the admiral    9,849

I haven't been to Great America since high school, but I made it on like six or seven rollercoasters. Alas, Shockwave had already closed by then. I wanted to go on that one in 5th grade but we ran out of time.

The Six    425

I have about 20 Knott's Berry Farm coupons. I know it's tough for them being right next to Disneyland. They're basically letting you in for nothing at this point. I still like their Old West Ghost Town area.

Cosmic    2,474

14 acre Star Wars lands coming to WDW and Disneyland. Set on a planet from Episode VII. Two attractions. You'll be controlling the Falcon.

Cosmic    2,474

How is the Falcon ride going to work? And what will this mean to the Star Wars stuff in Tomorrowland?

I'm guessing that will be a simulator. They said you'll be taking the controls on a "customized mission".

There could be more info coming from the Parks & Resorts panel that starts at 6 Eastern. This news actually dropped at the end of the movie panel.

masterchaoss    81

How is the Falcon ride going to work? And what will this mean to the Star Wars stuff in Tomorrowland?

I'm assuming that star tours will move to the new Star Wars land or removed entirely. I'm just happy to get star wars out of tomorrowland, I love star wars but it's not science fiction so I'm glad it's not gonna be there any more. what I hopping for is that put the alien encounter ride that was at wdw in its place, disneyland needs a really needs a good horror ride.

Needschat    124

Growing up in Capital District of NY, we had Storytown, now Six Flags Great Escape. Funny, the park made money for the old owner, then when Six Flags took it over and Daniel Snyder was in charge, he almost folded it, due to his ineptitude! Now, it's back to a money maker.

I've visited many parks, including both Busch Gardens, Disney World, HersheyPark, and the now closed Darian Lake in Buffalo. The most fun I've ever had was when my wife and I went to King's Dominion outside of Richmond VA. We were there the day AFTER Memorial Day. The park was practically empty. We rode the coasters two, three times without getting off! The next day, we did Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, and it was the same: Double, triple rides.. :)

Darien Lake isn't closed; you might be confused with them de-Six-Flagsing a few years ago.

Good. I liked the low key, family atmosphere there. Plus, they let us ride a water ride four consecutive times, along with another family. And when we got off the ride, a manager handed us some towels LOL

Needschat    124

My wife attended a business conference in Orlando earlier this year. The company holding it had Universal to themselves on a Wednesday. It cost that company $5 million to do that!!!

Oh yeah, and she's addicted to Butterbeer.

Cosmic    2,474

I'm assuming that star tours will move to the new Star Wars land or removed entirely. I'm just happy to get star wars out of tomorrowland, I love star wars but it's not science fiction so I'm glad it's not gonna be there any more. what I hopping for is that put the alien encounter ride that was at wdw in its place, disneyland needs a really needs a good horror ride.

I can't see Star Tours moving. Hong Kong is getting an Iron Man ride using the same ride system; I'd say there's a 10% chance of retheming Star Tours to Iron Man, a 2% chance of moving it to the new land, and a 90% chance that it stays where it is. It's a popular ride that just got an update a few years ago, and moving rides normally doesn't make economic sense.

In the short term, Star Tours is getting a scene from Episode VII sometime soon.