USA National Team Crest Concept

aawagner011

Fresh off the recent supposed leak, I spent the afternoon designing a concept for a new national team crest. It takes many different design cues as inspiration. The crest returns to proper red and white stripes similar to the leak and also the 1950 and centennial crests. "USA" text sits amidst a blue filed. "Soccer Federation" denotes which sport the team plays without using a shooting soccer ball. An eagle's proud head sits atop the crest. Small stars break up the "USA" text without the confusion of if they represent a World Cup title. Gold returns to the palette, as well.

9s3ytv.png

Get rid of the gold or make it thinner.

"You play to win the game...Hello. You play to win the game." - Herman Edwards

"We talkin' bout practice?" - A.I.

"What’s that? Ah — playoffs? Don’t talk about — playoffs? You kidding me? Playoffs? I just hope we can win a game! Another game." - Jim Mora

Here is another version. It drops the gold outline but keeps the white outer stroke. Basically, it would disappear on any white kits but would be there on a navy blue shirt (which was my original intent and then perhaps I got overzealous with the gold).

Edit- In fact, you can't even see the white outline against the white website background. It is there, however.

erl637.png

Second version is much better indeed.

Two immediate impressions:

1. I don't think anybody's going to buy the claim that the stars are "without the confusion of if they represent a World Cup title". imo either have 50 stars or none, because just having a few stars is always going to make it seem like the USMNT is trying to claim World Cup victories--which hopefully they eventually will be! Also, the USWNT shares the same shield, and they have 3 stars now, so I feel like yours stars will clash with theirs.
  2. It's tricky using eagle iconography in soccer. Mexico also uses an eagle as a national symbol, and given how they're our #1 rivals, I don't think our shield should have anything whose ambiguity could be used against us. Also, given that soccer is such an international sport, the eagle is a prominent symbol of fascism in Europe, and so using it might set us up for ultras there using it against us.
"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Very nice work. I like it better without the gold, but both look good.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

I don't necessarily think you need to put "soccer federation", because then it might be read as USA soccer federation, which its not, its US soccer federation. the eagle head could be less blocky imo.

what you could do is take out soccer federation, and put 1913 there instead, that way you dont have anything breaking up the stripes, then you could put stars on either side of 1913 until they reach the sides. then you could take the stars away from USA and make USA bigger

Overall good concept and look, hope to see it improve some more

Archived