Michigan to Jordan Brand

redlegs420

Another thing that irritates me, that as a (albeit casual) Pistons fan, I sorta hate Michael Jordan. Now all the official merchandise of my favorite college will bear his mark or his name? That's not ideal.

You know, I kinda hate jordan too, just bc he seems like a douche and I've heard a bunch of bad stories about him. But I almost don't associate jordan brand with him. I know that might seem silly but I do like jordan brand a lot.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another thing that irritates me, that as a (albeit casual) Pistons fan, I sorta hate Michael Jordan. Now all the official merchandise of my favorite college will bear his mark or his name? That's not ideal.

You know, I kinda hate jordan too, just bc he seems like a douche and I've heard a bunch of bad stories about him. But I almost don't associate jordan brand with him. I know that might seem silly but I do like jordan brand a lot.

I feel the same way, and I think it's because guest23 nailed it when he said:

Just to make sure we are clear here jordan brand is nothing more than a secondary brand that nike markets to sell premium product above and beyond the nike label.

And as for GFB's comment, I'm a Michigan alum but I was neither born nor raised in Michigan, so I don't like Detroit sports in the slightest (should be evident enough from my account) even though I fully support U-M. And even though Michiganders were definitely the most common demographic I encountered while in school, I met plenty of people from other places, especially New York and China, who might respectively also hate and love/be ambivalent towards Jordan.

Anything that allows Ann Arbor to stand out separately from Detroit is a positive imo. I think it's laughable whenever anyone considers AA to be part of Metro Detroit, and I think the reaction most students will have toward this deal will help prove why that's not the case.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Anything that allows Ann Arbor to stand out separately from Detroit is a positive imo. I think it's laughable whenever anyone considers AA to be part of Metro Detroit, and I think the reaction most students will have toward this deal will help prove why that's not the case.

Detroiters feel the same.

• 2 weeks later...

From that article:

"(The Jumpman logo) is on the uniform," Hackett said. "I've seen the design."

I was actually playing Fight Night Round 4 last night and noticed that in certain stages, the Jumpman logo is at the center of the ring. You can also wear Jordan Brand trunks and shoes. You don't even notice the basketball/boxing discrepancy after the initial surprise.

XCUfRbB.jpg

• 10 months later...
9 hours ago, rroy0824 said:

Brand website.  Jordan stuff still to come.

http://www.gobluehailmichigan.com/

Screen+Shot+2016-07-29+at+7.03.25+PM.png

Screen+Shot+2016-07-29+at+7.03.34+PM.png

Pretty nice font, overall.  Nice to see it isn't a modern mess.  (Does the center bar on the five rise just slightly higher than the 3, 6, 8, and 9, or am I seeing things?  Why would that be?)

4 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Pretty nice font, overall.  Nice to see it isn't a modern mess.  (Does the center bar on the five rise just slightly higher than the 3, 6, 8, and 9, or am I seeing things?  Why would that be?)

No, you are right.  It is pretty close, but the bar on the 5 is a bit higher.  I'm not sure why they would have done this.  Other than the bar on the top of the 4, I'm pretty happy with the font.

zNbXTre.jpg

On 8/20/2015 at 2:26 PM, shaydre1019 said:

I know it's been almost a year since this comment, but I'm just now seeing it so I wanted to weigh in.  I worked for the Charlotte Bobcats/Hornets for almost 3 years.  I was fortunate enough to be around Mr. Jordan dozens of times, including several social settings.  While I can't claim to know him well, I can tell you that my experiences were always outstanding.  I'm not sure what makes him "seem like a douche," but he couldn't possibly be more gracious with his employees.  Contrary to popular belief, he's actually one of the most connected and engaged owners in the NBA, which is remarkable given his status as a player.  It must be tough to live in the public eye all the time where random people can just judge you as a "douche" without even knowing you.

via Twitter:

Covv0r6XgAAHbeH.jpg

I have to say this pattern is a miss for me. The way they executed this iteration of the "Tree Town" motif seems forced. Yeah, there are 3 campuses, North (engineering + fine arts), Central (main, liberal arts), and South (athletics), so I'm almost accepting of the rationale that they're represented by these arches, but when I think of all the diverse and ever-increasing architecture on campus, I can't say that this brick pattern is what first comes to mind. Maybe all the glass windows of the new medical/hospital buildings, or the classic American ivy of the law quad, etc.

This wouldn't be so offensive if it was limited to a fill pattern for the new football uniform's sleevecaps, but I just saw the new volleyball uniform, and this pattern is on repeat fill all over the jersey. Not really looking forward to seeing this weird industrial tree become an integral part of our athletics identity.

XCUfRbB.jpg

2 hours ago, rroy0824 said:

No, you are right.  It is pretty close, but the bar on the 5 is a bit higher.  I'm not sure why they would have done this.  Other than the bar on the top of the 4, I'm pretty happy with the font.

zNbXTre.jpg

That five is annoying as hell. I hate when the center of the five doesn't line up, and this one's made even worse with the serif on top making it cluttered.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, seattlesonicsofsacramento said:

via Twitter:

Covv0r6XgAAHbeH.jpg

I have to say this pattern is a miss for me. The way they executed this iteration of the "Tree Town" motif seems forced. Yeah, there are 3 campuses, North (engineering + fine arts), Central (main, liberal arts), and South (athletics), so I'm almost accepting of the rationale that they're represented by these arches, but when I think of all the diverse and ever-increasing architecture on campus, I can't say that this brick pattern is what first comes to mind. Maybe all the glass windows of the new medical/hospital buildings, or the classic American ivy of the law quad, etc.

This wouldn't be so offensive if it was limited to a fill pattern for the new football uniform's sleevecaps, but I just saw the new volleyball uniform, and this pattern is on repeat fill all over the jersey. Not really looking forward to seeing this weird industrial tree become an integral part of our athletics identity.

On the website it said the three campuses thing also represents Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint.  Strange, considering Dearborn has their own NAIA sports teams.

Cleats:

Cox_qOvWcAA41RN.jpg

24 minutes ago, rroy0824 said:

On the website it said the three campuses thing also represents Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint.  Strange, considering Dearborn has their own NAIA sports teams.

I was going to mention that it could also represent the three campuses of Ann Arbor, Dearborn, and Flint, but held off because yeah, both of those other campuses have their own sports teams, whether it be NAIA or club. There's very little relationship to speak of between those three campuses by the way, with the thought that Dearborn or Flint contribute in any way to our athletic identity almost being a mockery.

XCUfRbB.jpg

6 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

I hope at some point they use black Jordan cleats instead of team colored cleats. Looks much tougher IMO

As old school as harbaugh he will have them design new black cleats with the maize and blue accents

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

Archived