CROWNCORVUS presents: Sacramento Kings rebrand

SplashBoogie

Last time I was here I did a redesign for the Phoenix Suns, for my next set I'm staying right in the Pacific Division with the Seattle Supersonics Anaheim Sacramento Kings

tumblr_nt8ofyfOFJ1rb8m1do1_1280.png
In my first sketches with this logo I wanted to add some heraldic imagery and make the entire logo look more regal, but that didn't fix what I felt the issue with the Kings logo is. The whole thing is too busy. There's lances, there's ribbons, there's a crown, there's a basketball it's just all over the place. So from there I decided to pick out the crown and build around a sword/shield design (I toyed with castle ramparts but it made the whole thing messy again). The primary logo holds a shield and the corners in the middle came from an evolution of having the swords in that location.

If you're the kind of person that likes a story behind a logo, the single diamond represents the Kings lone title as the Rochester Royals in 1951.

tumblr_nt8ofyfOFJ1rb8m1do2_1280.png

The secondary logo is effectively the crown in application but this would function as a logo for social media / tickets / center court.

tumblr_nt8ofyfOFJ1rb8m1do3_1280.png
tumblr_nt8ofyfOFJ1rb8m1do4_1280.png
The uniforms I was tempted to leave asymmetrical and only have the side paneling on the left side of the jersey (right side from viewer) to evoke the 1994-2002. As for why the full wordmark on the uniforms, I didn't feel that either font worked strong enough alone (though an inevitable mockup with the fonts may have you disagree) so I opted for the full shield. It just felt sturdier. I'll head off the inevitable, the gold on the back is the championship tag.

tumblr_nt8ofyfOFJ1rb8m1do5_1280.png

So here we are, is the new logo better than the old, do you like the uniform design? Would you rather see a different shade of purple. C+C is always welcome and I'm willing to discuss the thought process

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

I like it. However, I think the jersey looks a little too busy with the full primary. That said, I understand your rationale for going that route. Perhaps incorporating the crown in some form to the script will help solidify the wordmark without having to use the full shield.

But even that's a somewhat minor tweak. I still think it looks decent with the full shield.

Untitled-1_zpsjn8inbhy.png

This is a huge upgrade, but like everything, there are imperfections. On the alternate, I would eliminate the silver outline and the "Sacramento" that is underneath the shield, and on the uniforms I would ditch the primary and put "Kings" on instead in that awesome font. It is all up to you, but I think those changes will turn this set from an 8 to a perfect 10.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

If I may ask, why did you choose to use those fonts if, by your own words, they're not strong enough on their own? I'm genuinely curious and not trying to beat a dead horse.

I'd be happy to answer that although early apologies if the explanation sounds a little pretentious. The wordmark was never thought of as separate from the primary.

I wanted to have a sturdy font mixed with a somewhat regal looking font. Regal looked better small so that's why the Sacramento is in Tobago Poster and Kings is in Covert Ops. (Interestingly enough Kings in the logo is spelled kiNGS because of the lettering of the font)

Additionally the sidepanelling restricts the space and Sacramento is a long word so the font would need to be small to fit the whole word in the space and I have a complex about putting the nickname on the road uniforms so both it was.

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

The last piece of the redesign is the court. I can put it on for realism later, but I couldn't in good faith put something as ridiculous as Sleep Train Arena on this court. You know what's a stupid name for a place you want to pack with thousands of excited fans? THE SLEEP TRAIN.
tumblr_ntc2ecyKy51rb8m1do1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

Archived