Chicago Wolves ARE a Chicago team

deked73

I have been hearing this so much lately especially since the Blackhawks have turned themselves around and become a force in the NHL. Which I love seeing and I wish my dad could have seen but he passed in 2003.

Numerous times, I have heard and seen people talking in real life, posting on Facebook, Twitter, in chat rooms, talking during videos games that the Chicago Wolves should not put Chicago in their name because they are not playing in Chicago but Rosemont, Illinois. Most of which seem to be Blackhawks fans new or old fans I am not sure. Some may have even been Wolves fans when they were winning Turner Cups and Calder Cups and jumped off when the Hawks began their Dynasty in 2010. IT"S THE CHICAGOLAND AREA!!! IT"S CHICAGO!!!! I saw someone post on Sportslogos.net under the Wolves section "fun fact: they play in Rosemont which is NOT Chicago" I wont name his name.

It's minor league hockey, yes, IHL when they began and AHL when they merged. But since the Thrashers took off to the Peg we have had the Canucks and now the Blues. I dont recall anyone having issues with this when we had the Thrashers prospects. Only now becuase we have had rival prospects on the team,it's the nature of the beast. Minor league hockey has this from time to time. The Canucks lost the Moose and we lost the Thrashers. The Jets owners also owned the Manitoba Moose and moved them to St. John's, Newfoundland making the Ice Caps and not the Wolves their AHL club and you need to have an affiliation to compete in the AHL. When the Blues lost the Rivermen, the Canucks bought the Rivermen and moved the team to Utica. Only team available was the Blues for an NHL parent team. HAPPENS! You gotta deal with the cards you were dealt.

There are various reasons why teams play in another town or neighboring area. More than likely its just where the team needed to build their stadium or it was the only viable or suitable stadium for the team. With the Wolves it's Allstate arena formerly the Rosemont Horizon which at one point was home to the Chicago Rush the Chicago Sting, the Chicago Bruisers and is right now home to the Chicago Sky. The Wolves could have played at UIC Pavilion but I dont think they have an ice rink there anymore since they dropped the hockey program in the late 80's early 90's. Plus its a small arena for the University of Illinois at Chicago Flames. Allstate can have nearly 17,000 at the arena compared to UIC which is nearly 10,000. Average attendance for the Wolves is under 8,000 but have numerous times 12, 13, 14, 15, thousand people at a game throughout a season. Mostly Saturday nights which is a good amount of games.

I don't know if there are other pro sports teams major, minor, European, baseball, hockey, soccer, football, basketball that have this same issue with people fans or not stating that a particular team should not call itself the "Such and Such Whatevers" because they don't play directly in "Such and Such"

My question to others is this. Does it matter if the team doesnt play directly in the city limits of their namesake, for me it doesnt. You have the Bills, Cowboys, Jets, Giants, Redskins, Detroit Pistons all do 'not play in their city namesake. 2 don't even play in the same state for the city they represent. But, they ARE that city's team it is for the area and the fans in that area and across the country.

I finally had to get this off of my chest and ask what others thought? I have been hearing this for 2 to 3 years now.

And the guy who posted that the Wolves don't play in Chicago who has a Chicago Fire logo for his picture FUN FACT: the Fire play in Bridgeview, Illinois and not in Chicago. But they are a Chicago team and that is all that matters! Same for ANY TEAM that calls the Chicago area home!

bleedsvg2014_03_03_12_53_210b.png

Edge2baWolves2d.jpg

They're an affiliate of the Hawks' rival. That doesn't help.

Go Hogs.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

This is quite possibly the oddest rant I've ever read on these boards.

Speaking on to your point, I think it's silly to bust balls when, as you said, many teams play in stadiums that are adjacent, but not in, the cities they happen to represent. And really, I think the Hawks do owe the Wolves a tiny amount of favor for keeping some embers of hockey fandom alive in this city before the current run they've been on. With that said, I think there's enough of a disconnect where you can root for prospects in a different league to win and then root against them when they wear opposing jerseys.

By the way, the Sky play at the Pavilion, not Rosemont Horizon/Allstate Arena/Dennis Haysbert Civic Center.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

This is quite possibly the oddest rant I've ever read on these boards.

Speaking on to your point, I think it's silly to bust balls when, as you said, many teams play in stadiums that are adjacent, but not in, the cities they happen to represent. And really, I think the Hawks do owe the Wolves a tiny amount of favor for keeping some embers of hockey fandom alive in this city before the current run they've been on. With that said, I think there's enough of a disconnect where you can root for prospects in a different league to win and then root against them when they wear opposing jerseys.

By the way, the Sky play at the Pavilion, not Rosemont Horizon/Allstate Arena/Dennis Haysbert Civic Center.

I just got tired of that post and a guy this morning saying that the Wolves should fold or call themselves the Rosemont Wolves because they have a real hockey team in Chicago now, yet he couldn't name me a single player from the 80's. 90's or right before the Blackhawks became great again. I hope that they can have a new affiliate in a few years but time will tell.

The Sky moved from the Pavilion to the Allstate in 2010.

Edge2baWolves2d.jpg

My question to others is this. Does it matter if the team doesnt play directly in the city limits of their namesake, for me it doesnt. You have the Bills, Cowboys, Jets, Giants, Redskins, Detroit Pistons all do 'not play in their city namesake. 2 don't even play in the same state for the city they represent.

Fun rumour: Buffalo Bills franchise was not allowed to leave Buffalo recently because New York gov't would not accept their $tate proper without an NFL franchi$e. Jets & Giants based in NJ of course.

Fun fact: latest news is Bills' new stadium plans are being put on the back burner.

lols Buffalo

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Umm..did you and some friends get in a fight about this? This rant would've been better back when the Wolves were outdrawing the Blackhawks and winning Calder Cups.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

O'Hare is in Chicago. Look at a map and follow the thin line of Chicago property that leads you there.

If Allstate Arena has been good enough for DePaul all these years...

The Wolves are the only Chicago hockey team I claim and I was in attendance when they won it all in 2008 and thought it was hilarious when they outdrew the Blackhawks... but I think it was only once head-to-head.

Should O'Hare rename itself the Rosemont O'Hare International Airport, because IT'S not IN Chicago either.

It most certainly is.

chicago.jpg

Do you think the city of Chicago would have allowed it not to be?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Unless these 'people talking in real life, posting on Facebook, Twitter, in chat rooms, talking during videos games' are going to read this thread, don't get your hopes up.

Never mind, don't get your hopes up. They won't change.

PS - Go Chicago Blitz (playing in lovely Villa Park) of the AIF - I'll be in the stats crow's nest

It's where I sit.

It wasn't friends it was Hawks "fans" who seem to be fair weather fans that have jumped on the Hawks back with their success and I think will be the first to jump off if they begin to struggle again.

I would like to know where were these guys during the lean years when the ABC line of Arnason, Bell and Calder were there. When the Hawks had a whole slew of coaches. Daryl Sutter, Trent Yawney, Bob Pulford, Dirk Graham, Alpo Suhonen, Craig Hartsburg, Brian Sutter, Denis Savard. When Seabrook and Keith were starting with the Hawks and they got Sharp from the Flyers. Where were they when the UC was half empty far too many times. Probably hangin out at "the Cell" watching the Sox win the World Series then jumping ship to go to Soldier Field when the Bears went to the Super Bowl and then hopping on the wagon to Wrigley when Dusty Baker came along and the Cubs were consistently in the playoffs.

Don't tell me the Wolves don't deserve to have Chicago in their name when these guys didn't seem to care when the Hawks were bad REAL FANS are fans through the good and the bad. I loved the Blackhawks slogan "Show your colors!" I am Hawks fan been one since Murray Bannerman was in net and they had Alain Chevrier, Jaques Cloutier, Darren Pang. When Ray Le Blanc played his only game with the Hawks right after the Olympics. Steve Larmer, Tom Lysiak, Steve Ludzik, Grant Mulvey were there. I am A Wolves fan and i was a season ticket holder and my family still is. My extended family are also Wolves fans and Hawks fans.

Whenever the Wolves played the Hawks affiliates like the Indianapolis Ice, Cleveland Lumberjacks, Norfolk Admirals or Rockford Ice Hogs. I never cheered because we beat the Baby Hawks but that we beat the Ice, the Jacks, the Admirals or the Hogs.

Allstate Arena is right across the tollway from O' Hare. When there was a runway directly in line with Allstate we would watch the planes flying overhead landing while waiting for the doors to open and seeing opposing players looking up at the ceiling as a Jet flies right over and making the building shake and seeing the fear in their faces at times.

Edge2baWolves2d.jpg

Unless these 'people talking in real life, posting on Facebook, Twitter, in chat rooms, talking during videos games' are going to read this thread, don't get your hopes up.

Never mind, don't get your hopes up. They won't change.

PS - Go Chicago Blitz (playing in lovely Villa Park) of the AIF - I'll be in the stats crow's nest

You're right they wont and they will keep on being band wagon fans that will support only winning teams or the popular teams until they are no longer popular. A few have read this.

That's great to see the Blitz come back. Not too big on the Black and Gold scheme though. But, it's great to see the logo again with the update to it.

Edge2baWolves2d.jpg

Should O'Hare rename itself the Rosemont O'Hare International Airport, because IT'S not IN Chicago either.

It most certainly is.

chicago.jpg

Do you think the city of Chicago would have allowed it not to be?

Hey, look at that. I retract my previous statement.

Auburn Hills Pistons still stands though!

I would like to know where were these guys during the lean years when the ABC line of Arnason, Bell and Calder were there. When the Hawks had a whole slew of coaches. Daryl Sutter, Trent Yawney, Bob Pulford, Dirk Graham, Alpo Suhonen, Craig Hartsburg, Brian Sutter, Denis Savard. When Seabrook and Keith were starting with the Hawks and they got Sharp from the Flyers. Where were they when the UC was half empty far too many times. Probably hangin out at "the Cell" watching the Sox win the World Series then jumping ship to go to Soldier Field when the Bears went to the Super Bowl and then hopping on the wagon to Wrigley when Dusty Baker came along and the Cubs were consistently in the playoffs.

Don't tell me the Wolves don't deserve to have Chicago in their name when these guys didn't seem to care when the Hawks were bad REAL FANS are fans through the good and the bad. I loved the Blackhawks slogan "Show your colors!" I am Hawks fan

If you are Hawks fan, get the f-ck over the fact that not everyone could enjoy them ten years ago and worry about things concerning Chicago hockey (such as whether our best scorer is going to be convicted of rape) that are more important than the bona fides of other fans and whether they say the Blues' farm team is in Rosemont.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Why I don't blame hawks fans for abandoning the team during those years: Bill Wirtz. There was no reason to support that and a big part of why the Wolves attendance was what it was.

People in Chicago like hockey so they sought out a product that wasn't trying to destroy itself. When the Blackhawks went back to being not only watchable, but the best team in the best league in the world people returned.

It's basic economics.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived