Remaking NBA Logos

R3G

I've remade a couple NBA Logos. Let me know what you think. (Most recent ones, and much better ones, are at bottom)

Philadephia 76er's

20178214503_9d48df3d7f_b.jpg

20611181980_988b8b6793_b.jpg

Los Angeles Clippers:

20178213763_da093df51d_o.png

20789728142_e7e5d33acb_o.png

Dallas Mavericks:

20789727632_55c297a87f_o.png

Utah Jazz:

20611215228_c32a191327_o.png

Orlando Magic:

20806200371_384b628aa8_o.png

signature.png

Check out my Instagram page! 9.5k strong! @RileyGissemanArt

Hey I've seen you on Instagram.

That aside. I think la's marketing manager needs to give you a call

Yep! Haha @RileyGissemanArts! Check me out guys!

Thanks a ton though! Means a lot!

signature.png

I follow you on Instagram as well. I think your Magic and Jazz logos are definite upgrades. The Magic seriously need that logo. The Sixers logos are pretty good, but I don't really like the color scheme. I don't think the gold fits with blue and red. With the Clippers and Mavs, I'm really not sure whether I like them or not. I like Dallas's color scheme, but I don't think the word mark should be right in the center of the logo. On the Clippers first one, I think the word mark is unnecessary, and the second logo doesn't really go with the first one (if they were supposed to be together). That Magic logo, though, is a beauty! Great job on that one.

56e455ee03d99_newmexico.png.a50dec533f84

There's nothing I hate more than a designer using the star tool and just using the default shape. It just screams laziness and a lack of caring. Take the time to adjust the tool to make a decent looking star and not a bloated, fat one.

And you used it for two different teams. . . bruh.

tumblr_mele08ZeNV1rb5wor.gif

I've tried it before, but I cant keep the dimensions right and keep it looking good. I'll try again.

signature.png

I follow you on Instagram as well. I think your Magic and Jazz logos are definite upgrades. The Magic seriously need that logo. The Sixers logos are pretty good, but I don't really like the color scheme. I don't think the gold fits with blue and red. With the Clippers and Mavs, I'm really not sure whether I like them or not. I like Dallas's color scheme, but I don't think the word mark should be right in the center of the logo. On the Clippers first one, I think the word mark is unnecessary, and the second logo doesn't really go with the first one (if they were supposed to be together). That Magic logo, though, is a beauty! Great job on that one.

Awesome! I didn't know so many people here did. I don't like how I did the 76er's at all. But I don't really want to go back to fix it. Maybe I will. This was only my first draft of the Mavericks logo, and I'm still an amateur with fonts, and where to position them as well. Also, looking back I don't like the Clippers whatsoever either. I really tried on it, but it just never really looked good. Maybe I'll start from scratch again sometime. Again, thanks! I'm always glad to work off of detailed feedback!

signature.png

Roundel, Roundel, Roundel, Roundel.

The NBA should definitely hire you!

Haha, I only have two reasons: 1. The NBA is 100% going towards every logo being a circle, or in a circle. Likely because they want to turn these circles into badges on the jersey, and add ads. 2. Because they're so much easier for me to do haha.

signature.png

Sorry, but the Magic logo you made is an immense downgrade.

1) Orlando does not have a unique enough skyline to warrant its use in a logo (unless perhaps you were going to use part of Disney World, which would look tacky in my opinion)

2) The star thing was already mentioned.

3) The font you are using is woefully generic and gives the logo no character whatsoever. Also, there are far too many outlines around them; one or maybe two should be more than enough.

4) You have too many colors. By my count there are six, not including the gradient.

Overall, the logo is uninspiring and reminds me of clip art. Find some more unique imagery related to the city or team name and a more distinctive font and it will look a lot better

If the 76ers font was stronger there'd be potential there but they've already upgraded about as good as you can get with the classic logo so no dice there.

The Jazz logo is an upgrade but you appear to have copied it from another concept on the boards. I've seen that Clippers logo on the forum too.

The Mavericks logo is a massive downgrade. You can't just palette swap and existing logo and call it a rebrand. Again weak font as well.

And as mentioned above the Orlando Skyline is not iconic enough for a logo and this logos very D-League. Avoid gradients at all costs, we're not in the 90s anymore.

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

This is all really nice work. Jazz and Clippers both look phenomenal, but the others are all awesome too. Great job.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

In general, I would say that all of these are a downgrade. The Jazz logo is the best of the bunch, but as it's been mentioned before, it's not an original logo. Also, it really doesn't do anything for "Utah" or "Jazz."

76ers

I'm not a big fan of the Philadelphia name plate and addition of the gold. Your 76ers font selection/treatment is pretty plain. Assuming you have Illustrator (based on how it looks), the star shape is an easy one to fix. If you hold down alt- or ctrl- while you're drawing out the star, it'll snap to straight lines. You might consider rotating each star to reflect their placement in the ball around the centerpoint - like a clock face. You could incorporate more symbolism into the mark. I count 20 stars in the border, but you could get a nice, subtle addition by knocking that down to 13.

Mavericks

Holy hard to read. If you're going to say you're "remaking NBA logos," you should probably do that instead of recoloring the existing marks. The type doesn't really work with the mark, and the hat seems like an afterthought.

I wouldn't say this is "remaking" a logo, I'd say this is "hurriedly mashing a franchise's history of logos together," and it just doesn't work like that.

If I'm being 100% honest here? Start over on this one.

Clippers

Choose one and polish it. I don't know what it is about the first mark, it's not my cup of tea. I would pick a font that better matches the weight of the icon - there's a big gap between the thick and thin lines there. They seem disjointed.

On the script/ball, keep an eye out for overlapping paths. There's a couple instances where the shape intersects itself in the ball seams. Also, you should clean it up a bit to keep the line widths more consistent.

Jazz

Already touched on.

Magic

Not a fan. The coloring on the ball is pretty good. The text, though? It doesn't need 4 outlines. Frankly, it doesn't need the gradient either. It makes it look really clip-arty, and coupled with the star (as has also been mentioned)...it's a little rough around the edges.

If I were you, I'd take my time on this. I look at the work here and it all feels rushed to me. Take your time.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'm obviously quite new to this, and just trying to improve. Reading these makes me sad seeing them torn to shreds, but I guess that what it takes to improve. Anyways, here are some replies.

Sorry, but the Magic logo you made is an immense downgrade.

1) Orlando does not have a unique enough skyline to warrant its use in a logo (unless perhaps you were going to use part of Disney World, which would look tacky in my opinion)

2) The star thing was already mentioned.

3) The font you are using is woefully generic and gives the logo no character whatsoever. Also, there are far too many outlines around them; one or maybe two should be more than enough.

4) You have too many colors. By my count there are six, not including the gradient.

Overall, the logo is uninspiring and reminds me of clip art. Find some more unique imagery related to the city or team name and a more distinctive font and it will look a lot better

Thank you for the help! I guess I just didn't really know how to properly make this logo well. I'm not too good with fonts, as you can see in all of my logos, any suggestions? I'll mess with the outlines to make it look better. Gradient=Gone. I thought I liked the skyline, which is why I added it, but you bring up a good point that it's not very well known. I'll kill some of the colors. Overall, I think I'll just start from scratch again on it.

If the 76ers font was stronger there'd be potential there but they've already upgraded about as good as you can get with the classic logo so no dice there.

The Jazz logo is an upgrade but you appear to have copied it from another concept on the boards. I've seen that Clippers logo on the forum too.

The Mavericks logo is a massive downgrade. You can't just palette swap and existing logo and call it a rebrand. Again weak font as well.

And as mentioned above the Orlando Skyline is not iconic enough for a logo and this logos very D-League. Avoid gradients at all costs, we're not in the 90s anymore.

Looking back on the 76er's logo, I hate it. Font sucks, White bar sucks, gold sucks, etc.

The Jazz logo is actually a funny-ish story. Around the same time I had the same idea from the Draft logo. Immediately after I finished I went to the man who tweeted out the original report that they might change it and I saw that he retweeted a tweet that had a mock logo JUST LIKE MINE. I was kinda mad. Anyways, thanks. Clipper's logo was from me as well.

I really don't know what I was doing with the Mavs logo, it basically was just a recoloration and taking off the ugly triangle thing. I'll definitely fix it or actually make a new one from scratch.

I'm bad with fonts. Gradient is gone. Will fix other things maybe start from scratch.

This is all really nice work. Jazz and Clippers both look phenomenal, but the others are all awesome too. Great job.

Thank you man, you seem to be a minority.

The clippers logo is his. He had it as a former topic. I know that because I helped him in designing it. The clippers is his

Yup :)

In general, I would say that all of these are a downgrade. The Jazz logo is the best of the bunch, but as it's been mentioned before, it's not an original logo. Also, it really doesn't do anything for "Utah" or "Jazz."

76ers

I'm not a big fan of the Philadelphia name plate and addition of the gold. Your 76ers font selection/treatment is pretty plain. Assuming you have Illustrator (based on how it looks), the star shape is an easy one to fix. If you hold down alt- or ctrl- while you're drawing out the star, it'll snap to straight lines. You might consider rotating each star to reflect their placement in the ball around the centerpoint - like a clock face. You could incorporate more symbolism into the mark. I count 20 stars in the border, but you could get a nice, subtle addition by knocking that down to 13.

Mavericks

Holy hard to read. If you're going to say you're "remaking NBA logos," you should probably do that instead of recoloring the existing marks. The type doesn't really work with the mark, and the hat seems like an afterthought.

I wouldn't say this is "remaking" a logo, I'd say this is "hurriedly mashing a franchise's history of logos together," and it just doesn't work like that.

If I'm being 100% honest here? Start over on this one.

Clippers

Choose one and polish it. I don't know what it is about the first mark, it's not my cup of tea. I would pick a font that better matches the weight of the icon - there's a big gap between the thick and thin lines there. They seem disjointed.

On the script/ball, keep an eye out for overlapping paths. There's a couple instances where the shape intersects itself in the ball seams. Also, you should clean it up a bit to keep the line widths more consistent.

Jazz

Already touched on.

Magic

Not a fan. The coloring on the ball is pretty good. The text, though? It doesn't need 4 outlines. Frankly, it doesn't need the gradient either. It makes it look really clip-arty, and coupled with the star (as has also been mentioned)...it's a little rough around the edges.

If I were you, I'd take my time on this. I look at the work here and it all feels rushed to me. Take your time.

I dont have illustrator :( I want it. Thanks for all the C%C. I explained stuff above.

Other than that though guys, I did these all a bit ago, so I don't really feel like revisiting them, but I may restart from scratch on some

signature.png

ALT....

SHIFT....

There's nothing I hate more than a designer using the star tool and just using the default shape. It just screams laziness and a lack of caring. Take the time to adjust the tool to make a decent looking star and not a bloated, fat one.

I've tried it before, but I cant keep the dimensions right and keep it looking good. I'll try again.

ALT....

SHIFT....

If he's using Photoshop (like it says in his Instagram profile), he's likely using a set shape for it. Alt and Shift would work in Illustrator, but shapes don't work the same way in Photoshop. It's weird, I know. He should just copy/paste and then edit a straight star from this website.

Archived