Teams In The Wrong Stadium

kw11333

Basically teams playing at a different stadium because of renovations or construction of a new stadium.

The Seahawks played at Husky Stadium in 2001

960x540.jpg

*Bowl games in baseball stadiums can count, but special events (NFL London Series, Winter Classic, Super Bowl, etc) do not

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't find pictures, only a video of the Sonics playing at the Tacoma Dome when Key Arena was being renovated. I also remember the Raptors playing a couple of games at Maple Leaf Gardens because the Skydome (now Rogers Centre) was unavailable.

11899461_1647293585529705_1360928236_n.j

The B.C. Lions and MLS Whitecaps playing out Empire Field, on the site of their former home, while their current home was getting a huge facelift.

crop_21144891201.jpg

The Colt 45's played in Colt Stadium from 1962-1964, which was basically a temporary home field built in the parking lot of the under construction Astrodome. When the dome was completed, the team change their name to the Astros, While it's not necessarily the "wrong stadium", it was still a temporary facility and seeing the Houston team in anything but the dome or downtown stadium looks odd. Colt Stadium had no shade and was notoriously hot and humid, as well as mosquito infested. Good times!

38-rg_d_0006-0362.jpgCHRONColtStadium4.jpgcolt13952.jpg

The Timberwovles played their inaugural season at the Metrodome. They broke the all-time attendance record (since broken by the Raptors).

I attended the first regular-season home game. I think I was roughly under that Canadian flag. There were a TON of bad seats.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Would this topic include all one off Outdoor hockey games?

Then you'd have to include all the one-off games/series in other stadiums (e.g. the Indians' home games at Miller Park a few years back). There are certainly many examples of that. Personally I'm more interested to learn about all these extended stays in temporary venues.

ALykGdZ.png

I can't find pics of it but the Rays played a home series at Disney's Wild World Of Sports in 2008, and the Lightning also played a couple home games at the Orlando Arena. Of course, the Lightning used to call the Trop (known then as Thunderdome) home.

a4s_raysdejavu06231_127723a_8col.jpg

spacer.png

Would this topic include all one off Outdoor hockey games?

Then you'd have to include all the one-off games/series in other stadiums (e.g. the Indians' home games at Miller Park a few years back). There are certainly many examples of that. Personally I'm more interested to learn about all these extended stays in temporary venues.

Well, wait a minute.

The outdoor hockey games, no, I wouldn't count those.

I think we are looking for examples of teams "forced" to play their home games in a different place to due extenuating circumstances.

I would not count games where teams purposely are playing their home games in an unusual setting as some kind of showcase or publicity/attention whore/moneymaking thing.

I am under the impression that the outdoor hockey games are played outside for the sake of playing outside, rather than external circumstances forcing the team to host an outdoor game, which is why I would not count them.

However, for the Indians home games played in Milwaukee, I think that could possibly count. The Indians didn't play their home games there by choice, if that makes sense. They were kind of "displaced" in the same sense that a team whose main home was under construction would be.

Another that I don't think was mentioned here was when the Golden State Warriors played a bunch of home games (for an entire season, I think) at the San Jose Arena because their main arena was under construction.

Archived