Teams In The Wrong Stadium

kw11333

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I recall in 1994 or so the Clippers moving a home game to the Forum due to structural damage at the Sports Arena. Also, quite a few times in the 79s and 80s NBA playoff games being played elsewhere due to the regular venue being booked, the classic Knicks Pistons game 5 in 1984 at Joe Louis Arena, 1980 Western Conference Finals at University of Washington, 1975 Finals at the Cow Palace, plus I think the Bullets had to play a few at College Park and the Bucks in Madison

10 hours ago, insert name said:

why when there's a baseball stadium nearby? It looks like a modern day Metrodome.

Because the college baseball season starts in February, when it's usually too cold for outdoor baseball in Minnesota. Starting the season in a dome allows them to play more home games than most northern schools. I believe they play the second half of their season at an on-campus outdoor stadium once it gets a little warmer.

11 hours ago, cmm said:

Because the college baseball season starts in February, when it's usually too cold for outdoor baseball in Minnesota. Starting the season in a dome allows them to play more home games than most northern schools. I believe they play the second half of their season at an on-campus outdoor stadium once it gets a little warmer.

its also cold in July in Minnesota:

see 2:45 in

so long and thanks for all the fish.

53 minutes ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Lehigh and Lafayette celebrated their 150th meeting by holding the second ever neutral site game in Yankee Stadium. (Lafayette was the technical "home" team)

lafayettelehigh14bl-1.jpg

Let me just say as a fan of NYCFC that it pisses me off that the Yankees allow the removal of the Yankee Stadium pitcher's mound for stupid college football, but not for the matches of the soccer team of which they are part owners. This intransigence forces the soccer pitch to be laid out at an awkward angle rather than in a more natural configuration, and accounts for the pitch's extreme lack of width.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

Lehigh and Lafayette celebrated their 150th meeting by holding the second ever neutral site game in Yankee Stadium. (Lafayette was the technical "home" team)

field.jpg

lafayettelehigh14bl-1.jpg

10564815.jpeg

Lehigh's uniforms also had a pinstripe "homage" to the Yankees.

They do this every year for the NYC PSAL (Public School Athletic League) championship game.

YVRMUBj.png

42 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Let me just say as a fan of NYCFC that it pisses me off that the Yankees allow the removal of the Yankee Stadium pitcher's mound for stupid college football, but not for the matches of the soccer team of which they are part owners. This intransigence forces the soccer pitch to be laid out at an awkward angle rather than in a more natural configuration, and accounts for the pitch's extreme lack of width.

because football fields have to be certain dimensions. and that is the only configuration that it fits. soccer fields can be any dimensions they want except for the penalty box.

54 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

They do this every year for the NYC PSAL (Public School Athletic League) championship game.

I forgot to say it was for Lehigh-Lafayette in particular; it was their second-ever neutral site game. Their first happened back in the 1880s.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

31 minutes ago, dont care said:
1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

because football fields have to be certain dimensions. and that is the only configuration that it fits. soccer fields can be any dimensions they want except for the penalty box.

The pitch at Yankee Stadium is of the very minimum width (70 metres) that is allowed.  And there are rumours that it is sometimes a bit short of that.

yankee-stadium-soccer2.jpg  

Compare this configuration to that of soccer pitches laid out in other baseball stadiums, in which one of the corners of the pitch is near home plate.

649x350_faf4.jpg

Fenway Park

Dodger-Stadium-soccer.jpg

Dodger Stadium

busch-52413.jpg

Busch Stadium

Anyway, even if the Yankee Stadium pitch's orientation were to stay in the strange orientation of left field to right field, the removal of the pitcher's mound would provide the ability to widen the pitch significantly.  So the Yankees' unwillingness to allow this really rankles.

3 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The pitch at Yankee Stadium is of the very minimum width (70 metres) that is allowed.  And there are rumours that it is sometimes a bit short of that.

yankee-stadium-soccer2.jpg  

Compare this configuration to that of soccer pitches laid out in other baseball stadiums, in which one of the corners of the pitch is near home plate.

649x350_faf4.jpg

Fenway Park

Dodger-Stadium-soccer.jpg

Dodger Stadium

busch-52413.jpg

Busch Stadium

Anyway, even if the Yankee Stadium pitch's orientation were to stay in the strange orientation of left field to right field, the removal of the pitcher's mound would provide the ability to widen the pitch significantly.  So the Yankees' unwillingness to allow this really rankles.

I don't like defending NY(AL), but there's a big difference between removing the mound and converting the field for a one-off soccer game or during the offseason for football and doing it around 20 times during the baseball season. New York City Soccer Club Football Team SC FT NY just isn't important enough compared to the baseball team. Pitchers would not be happy if the mound wasn't consistent each time they went out there. If Dave Mlicki Field is going to host both baseball and soccer during the spring and summer, the soccer team is going to have to make some sacrifices to make sure their presence disrupts the primary tenant as little as possible. If it was a minor league baseball team, it would be different.

1 hour ago, cmm said:

I don't like defending NY(AL), but there's a big difference between removing the mound and converting the field for a one-off soccer game or during the offseason for football and doing it around 20 times during the baseball season. New York City Soccer Club Football Team SC FT NY just isn't important enough compared to the baseball team. Pitchers would not be happy if the mound wasn't consistent each time they went out there. If Dave Mlicki Field is going to host both baseball and soccer during the spring and summer, the soccer team is going to have to make some sacrifices to make sure their presence disrupts the primary tenant as little as possible. If it was a minor league baseball team, it would be different.

Baseball stadiums hosting football games used to be very commonplace -- it happened even at the original Yankee Stadium and at other old-time parks such as Fenway Park, Tiger Stadium, and Wrigley Field.  It also happened at Shea, as well as at Veterans Stadium in Philly and all of the other multi-purpose stadiums of the 1970s and 1960s. There were no problems with the mounds.  Problems with the turf being torn up, yes. (And this was a reasonable concern of Yankee fans with respect to NYCFC, though one which proved unfounded.)  But never a problem with the pitcher's mound.

Removing and replacing the mound is a trivial matter.  It's not conceivable that a process which grounds crews had mastered 40, 50, 60 years ago is suddenly an issue in 2017.

The Jets were secondary tenants at Shea and for most of their time in Flushing they couldn't even host a home game until the Mets season was done. That meant no home games until week 6 in 1969 and week 7 in 1973. And that was before baseball became a billion dollar industry and field conditions weren't up to the standards they are today.

Baseball players in the Bronx are grumpy enough about the field conditions ever since the soccer team moved in. Should ownership really mess with the billion-dollar baseball team for a soccer team that is worth much, much less? It wouldn't surprise me if the original plan was to remove the mound and fully convert the stadium for soccer games but influential pitchers like Rivera or Sabathia voiced their displeasure and the front office changed their plans.

21 hours ago, Michael Bolton said:

Did they really play without infield dirt? Not even sliding pits? That looks odd.

The layout is interesting given that home plate area is in the endzone, it allows for the sliding pit. The mound appears to be placed on top of the turf too, so I'd imagine that ties into no sliding pits in that the Vikings didn't want the turf cut anymore than it has been to remove the center logo.

SEAsig.png

Archived