Teams In The Wrong Stadium

kw11333

So, this is likely the last ever football game that will ever be played at Wrigley.

No. Northwestern has a contract to hold five more games at Wrigley, but they won't be against Illinois. Those two teams will play thrice at Soldier Field in coming years, with Illinois losing the home games.

Wrigley's pending renovations are supposed to make it adaptable to accommodate football. A portion of the backstop will be removable so they could push the field more towards homeplate. But I don't think anything has yet been done on the lower level at Wrigley, so it'll still be a few more years before NU plays there again.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely seeing the Twins play outside just seems weird.

view-from-Twins-Pub1.jpg

And also the Marlins not playing in a football stadium is something I can't get used to either.

MQQTG00Z.jpg

PHI ALPHA! SIGMA ALPHA EPSILON. CAROLINA GAMECOCKS. ST. LOUIS CARDINALS. ST. LOUIS BLUES. ORLANDO CITY SC. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS.

sc_gamecocks_sig1.png

New Orleans Saints playing at Tiger Stadium and the Alamodome after Katrina:

New_Orleans_Saints_at_Tiger_Stadium.jpg

The Saints are definitely the most well known of relocation stories related to Katrina. I attended all 4 games in Tiger Stadium and sat at the top of the upper deck (just out of view in the picture above). The Hornets are definitely a close second. But, the team that was most impacted (IMO) and is mostly forgotten about is the Tulane football team. They played 6 "home" games in 6 different stadiums in Louisiana and Alabama. In all, the team would play 11 games in 11 different stadiums that season.

http://www.tulanegreenwave.com/sports/hurr-katrina/spec-rel/112205aab.html

http://highschoolsports.nola.com/news/article/3743961285886204997/former-tulane-jesuit-player-anthony-scelfo-recalls-green-waves-nomadic-2005-football-season/

Sept 17: Home vs Mississippi St @ Independence Stadium, Shreveport, LA (Independence Bowl)

55711392-quarterback-lester-ricard-of-th

Oct 1: Home vs Southeastern Louisiana @ Tiger Stadium, Baton Rouge, LA (LSU)

bl10-3-05tulane.jpg

122105_cheerleaders_1.jpg

Oct 8: Home vs Houston @ Cajun Field, Lafayette, LA (UL-Lafayette)

Oct 14: Home vs Tulsa @ Joe Aillet Stadium, Ruston, LA (Louisiana Tech)

Oct 29: Home vs Marshall @ Ladd Peebles Stadium, Mobile, AL (GMAC Bowl / Senior Bowl)

Nov 19: Home vs Tulsa @ Malone Stadium, Monroe, LA (UL-Monroe) Senior Day

gYH2mW9.png

Nebraska played a home game in South Bend, Indiana in 2000.

bigpix01.jpg

The Domers didn't show up and gave up home field advantage.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Its funny when people mentioned the Bears at Memorial Stadium, I couldn't imagine it'd be that hard to find an image. I mean it wasn't that long ago.

Its impossible to find any images where you can tell its Memorial Stadium and it looks any different than you're average Illinois game.

The Lightning played their first season (1992-93) in the tiny-as-hell 11,000 seat Fairgrounds Expo Hall.

a4s_raysdejavu06231_127724a_8col.jpg

Good thing only 5,000 wanted to show up!

The Lightning (and a couple other NHL teams that season) regularly got outdrawn on the same night by the Oklahoma City Blazers.

No pics that I can find, but similar to Celtics->Hartford, Jazz->Vegas, and Hawks->New Orleans was the Kansas City Kings in St. Louis. Of course, the Kings also split time in Omaha their first couple of seasons.

You also had the Houston Rockets doing a tour of Texas in the early 70s. San Antonio (pre-Spurs), Waco, El Paso... along with Houston homes in the Astrodome, AstroHall, and Hofheinz Pavillion.

The Cavs had a few games in the Cincinnati Gardens, and the Bucks would play in Madison. I believe the Celtics were in Providence a fair bit, the Braves were in Toronto, and of course Philly played in Hershey (and also Pittsburgh)...

The Minneapolis Lakers played some games in LA in 1958-59 as a vanguard to gauge interest.

Golden State at the Cow Palace for the '75 NBA FInals... and about a dozen games in San Diego after the Rockets moved to Houston.

Seattle Supersonics in Clarence S. "Hec" Edmundson Pavillion at UWashington... as well as in Portland, Eugene, and Vancouver.

Chicago Bulls had some early games in Kansas City. I'm guessing that's because Lamar Hunt had an interest in the team.

Suns playing in Albuquerque and Las Cruces... as well as in Salt Lake (pre Stars/Jazz).

ABA had a lot of games like this. Too numerous to mention really.

I could go on... but I don't have pics from any of these games or others, either.

So, this is likely the last ever football game that will ever be played at Wrigley.

No. Northwestern has a contract to hold five more games at Wrigley, but they won't be against Illinois. Those two teams will play thrice at Soldier Field in coming years, with Illinois losing the home games.

Wrigley's pending renovations are supposed to make it adaptable to accommodate football. A portion of the backstop will be removable so they could push the field more towards homeplate. But I don't think anything has yet been done on the lower level at Wrigley, so it'll still be a few more years before NU plays there again.

That's great news! I hope it happens!

Also, pictured Ticat is Luke Tasker, Steve Tasker's son.

Thank you Rod Black.... :P

In addition to your example, The Tiger-Cats also played three games at McMaster when the construction of THF ran late...

453705682_217512112.jpg?w=620

And we might get another one later this year. If the Toronto Blue Jays make the playoffs, then the Toronto Argonauts might be playing their home game(s) at Tim Hortons Field.

tigercatssignature-1.png

Archived