Teams In The Wrong Stadium

kw11333

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that thread drift occurs, and I hate to be Mr. Post Policeman. But the original post in this thread asked for examples of "teams playing at a different stadium because of renovations or construction of a new stadium".

So that excludes planned neutral-site games. It also excludes scheduled games at an alternate venue within the team's home area, as in the Sixers/Flyers examples. Excluded as well would be the Nets example, as the Prudential Centre in Newark was the team's official home arena for two seasons. And it excludes all planned neutral-site games.

The template is the Seahawks at Husky Stadium as mentioned in the original post, the Vikings playing a home game in Detroit, the Saints playing home games in San Antonio, etc. To review:

on-topic: the Yankees playing a home game at Shea Stadium in 1998

off-topic: the Yankees using Shea Stadium as their official home park during the 1974 and 1975 seasons

(The confusion set in pretty quickly. Two of the first three responses after the original post were actually off-topic, as they mentioned the Rockies at Mile High Stadium and the Rams at Busch Stadium. However, those stadiums were in fact those teams' official home parks.)

The topic is interesting; so to see it get diluted with so many off-topic examples is a little frustrating.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I know that thread drift occurs, and I hate to be Mr. Post Policeman. But the original post in this thread asked for examples of "teams playing at a different stadium because of renovations or construction of a new stadium".

So that excludes planned neutral-site games. It also excludes scheduled games at an alternate venue within the team's home area, as in the Sixers/Flyers examples. Excluded as well would be the Nets example, as the Prudential Centre in Newark was the team's official home arena for two seasons. And it excludes all planned neutral-site games.

The template is the Seahawks at Husky Stadium as mentioned in the original post, the Vikings playing a home game in Detroit, the Saints playing home games in San Antonio, etc. To review:

off-topic: the Yankees using Shea Stadium as their official home park during the 1974 and 1975 seasons

(The confusion set in pretty quickly. Two of the first three responses after the original post were actually off-topic, as they mentioned the Rockies at Mile High Stadium and the Rams at Busch Stadium. However, those stadiums were in fact those teams' official home parks.)

The topic is interesting; so to see it get diluted with so many off-topic examples is a little frustrating.

Shea Stadium was the Yankees official home park during the 1974 and 1975 seasons. However, it served in that capacity "because of . . . construction of a new stadium." * That would seem to fit the category.

* -- or renovations if you want to consider old the pre- and post-1976 stadiums to be the same stadium.

What is the ruling on this (which may or may not have been posted before)?

The Chicago Bears in Champaign, IL --

1468795-tight-end-john-davis-of-the-chicMemorial_Stadium_(Champaign)_2.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Shea Stadium was the Yankees official home park during the 1974 and 1975 seasons. However, it served in that capacity "because of . . . construction of a new stadium." * That would seem to fit the category.

* -- or renovations if you want to consider old the pre- and post-1976 stadiums to be the same stadium.

Hmm. Well, I guess you got me there. (But then some wisenheimer is going to expand this by saying that the Rockies were playing at Mile High Stadium because Coors Field was under construction, or that the Dodgers were playing at the Colliseum because Dodger Stadium was under construction, and so forth.)

Anyway, the neutral-site games and the planned one-offs at alternate venues are still out.

The "expansion-or-moved-to-a-new-city-and-waiting-for-their-permanent-home-to-be-constructed" teams are certainly the ones in the gray area (Dodgers, Rockies, Rams, Ravens, Carolina Panthers, etc.).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The "expansion-or-moved-to-a-new-city-and-waiting-for-their-permanent-home-to-be-constructed" teams are certainly the ones in the gray area (Dodgers, Rockies, Rams, Ravens, Carolina Panthers, etc.).

The Vikings are technically in that gray area, but god I don't want them to ever leave Minnesota's stadium. It's a cozy outdoor stadium that I love seeing them play in. The new place is a bizarre house of glass that doesn't look football at all

Hmm. Well, I guess you got me there. (But then some wisenheimer is going to expand this by saying that the Rockies were playing at Mile High Stadium because Coors Field was under construction, or that the Dodgers were playing at the Colliseum because Dodger Stadium was under construction, and so forth.)

Anyway, the neutral-site games and the planned one-offs at alternate venues are still out.

Apologies for swaying the topic... anyway, at least the Bobcats at the Coliseum counts (they were waiting for their new arena to be built), and I think the Nets at Prudential should count because it was only a very temporary stop because ownership planned to move them to Brooklyn all along.

^Do those two examples really count though? That WAS their home arena for almost 30 years.

yeah seriously. there's nothing "wrong" about either of those teams playing a game in the Spectrum.

It could count, if you factor in that they're wearing their stupid Edge uniforms at the Spectrum. That certainly looks strange (to me, at least.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

WTF is a Thunderbear.

WTF is a SaberCat? WTF is a Forest Dragon? WTF is a Firebird? WTF are YardDawgz? The Arena League has had its share of nonexistent "animals".

P.S. - Do not include the New York CityHawks in this ignoble aggregation. A "city hawk" is a peregrine falcon, specifically the ones who perch and nest on buildings and bridges in New York and other cities.

cityhawks-peregrine-falcon_zpsmwzkmqen.p

Archived