London - "Forest City" FC

wquarton

Hey folks, continuing on Canadian soccer series. Did up a replacement logo for London, Ontario, also known as forest city, I included a stylized tree, along with a red cross to signify London's strong history of Medical Research. The black squirrel appears all around London's numerous parks.

E03C4UU.png

Current logo for comparison: Forestcitylondonlogo.gif

I really love the red outer design and the stylized tree but the L and squirrel seam pretty out of place. For me, they are too large and overtake the rest of the unique elements and feel as though they have just been arbitrarily placed on the top.

I would work to incorporate them better so they gel with the other elements. You could make them smaller and work to center them better to get more balance because right now the elements place a lot of weight toward the right side of the logo. You are also using 6 colors which is quite a few so I would also find a way to simplify your color scheme as well (maybe instead of having brown and black, you pick just one).

This is a pretty interesting start though and I think the logo has a lot of potential.

I agree, the squirrel and L are too big any distract from the tree. As well, you should consider using a single thread for your series, rather than the many you currently have. For the logo, I would consider removing the squirrel and the L, and making the tree a bit smaller. I might also make the cross thinner, just a bit. Great potential with this logo, so much better than what they use.

London , Ontario's civic arms are rather pedestrian (similar symbols are used for towns and cities across Canada), but your red cross recalls the Cross of St. George in London,England's arms.

London%2C_Ontario_Coat_of_Arms.PNGengland161.jpg

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

(For london england comment) I don't know if you're saying this is good or bad...It was more for medical, but that is a nice unintended effect i suppose.

I think if you just used the L and the squirrel that would be enough to get the message across.

In what way?

What if, instead of a squirrel on the crest, you used two squirrels, one on either side, as heraldic supporters, like in the city crests above? It would keep all your iconography whilst decluttering all the layering you've got going on now.

rATMcmK.png

Solid Idea, I'll tinker with it. For now, got some feedback that the current one looked like a squirrel sitting on a toilet( r/london tore me a new one lol). I guess I have a question for you guys, because I keep running up against this certain criticism and I think it's absolute bs - do you need intimidating logos for soccer teams? Like that's just people sipping haterade right? Like norwich? Swansea? Blackburn? Hell even spurs is a bird. The squirrel will rise into the night! and bring glory to the ungrateful people of London!!!

God, I need this jobhunt to end so I can stop doing this 24/7. U guys are sweet though. heres an update..

05WdFHm.png

I really love the red outer design and the stylized tree but the L and squirrel seam pretty out of place. For me, they are too large and overtake the rest of the unique elements and feel as though they have just been arbitrarily placed on the top.

I would work to incorporate them better so they gel with the other elements. You could make them smaller and work to center them better to get more balance because right now the elements place a lot of weight toward the right side of the logo. You are also using 6 colors which is quite a few so I would also find a way to simplify your color scheme as well (maybe instead of having brown and black, you pick just one).

This is a pretty interesting start though and I think the logo has a lot of potential.

you sir, give excellent feedback. you're a gift to this community and probably a good husband/father/employee/anything that requires empathy lol. Kudos.

Heraldic supporters are the animals that are holding up the coat of arms, they aren't inside the crest. For example, in the London, Ontario, coat of arms, its heraldic supporters are the stag and bear. I think whittier was suggesting you give the logo rampant squirrels. I must say, it would be a fun look.

award%20sig.png

I like the rampant squirrel idea, all by itself. The squirrel gets the forest idea across without any trees getting in the way. Traditionally, heraldic squirrels are always sejant (sitting), usually cracking a nut, but I think a well-drawn rampant squirrel (distinct enough to avoid being confused with a lion, yet calling one to mind) could be a unique and clever symbol. The only rampant squirrel I found quickly here isn't distinctly squirrel enough, for my taste.

160px-Complete_Guide_to_Heraldry_Fig407.rampant_squirrel_by_the_vol.jpg

PS: the red cross echoing London, England was a good thing, in my mind. It could still be used behind the rampant squirrel, on the shield.

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

YES THAT THING IS AMAZING!! IM GONNA PRINT THAT OUT AND PUT IT IN THE SHOWER TO SCARE THE F OUTTA MY GF HAHAHA

But okay, it might take me a little bit gotta do some travelling but i'll make those changes and possibly change it to a shield shape and be back in a few days. Thanks as always sportsherald, you've fixed half my designs I think haha

Thought these rampart squirrels were pretty solid, not quite as rabid as yours but decent. also changed the crest shape as you can see.

AixttsX.png

You're getting there. If it were me, though, I'd make the shield smaller, about the same size as the squirrels, and put the letters inside the green part of the tree.

I really love the idea of heraldic supporters here and think you executed it beautifully. I would suggest going back to the circle shield design though because the tree design doesn't really fit with the new shield shape. Or change the tree design.

As for as the name goes, banners either above or below (or both) might be a really nice option and would fit in really nicely with the heraldic supporters. If you went this route, you could downsize the tree/cross a bit more.

Nice progress so far!

Thought these rampart squirrels were pretty solid, not quite as rabid as yours but decent. also changed the crest shape as you can see.

AixttsX.png

Heraldic supporters go outside of the shield and appear to hold it up:

London%2C_Ontario_Coat_of_Arms.PNG

Your squirrels are just plopped on top of the crest. The squirrels need to be quite a bit bigger--the back hand should be at the top and behind of the shield. Look at the sizing of the stag and bear above. The squirrels' arms should be in about the same spots, and they will be quite a bit bigger than the shield.

award%20sig.png

Again, this is better. I like how you got rid of the initials on the tree and added the banners. My main suggestion now would be to make the squirrels look like they are holding up the shield instead of being plastered in front of it. You would do that by making it look as if the top hand (foot...I guess) is behind the logo (look at the stag and bear again). I don't know what program you are using, so I don't know the best way of doing it. I'm sure you could erase it, but there could probably be better ways of doing it depending on what program you have.

One other thing that should be tweaked is how London is arched. It looks wonky--especially that N in the middle of the text. Also, the Forest City along the bottom doesn't match the arch of the banner.

award%20sig.png

Archived