Fix-It Friday thread

Ark

interesting feedback on the series so far. it's always nice to see what everyone thinks of concepts like these. the hardest thing to get across to the general public is the first rule of design critique, which is you have to be able to admit something is good even if you don't like it. as we go through the teams, you'll see me make points based around that.

and the big challenge of the series is to only focus on things that need to be corrected - aesthetics are the last thing i look at, it's about execution and communication of ideas. i would change a lot of things if up to me completely, but it's about making the uniforms as best they can be. this was especially difficult with the Buccaneers, because the uniform is such a poor design, i couldn't ignore the amazingly terrible flaws in it. i'm quite surprised to see some people who do like their current digs, which brings me to another rule of critique: like a cheesy pop song, being able to say something is bad, even if you like it.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting pair of teams to start with; one that is pretty close to perfect and one that's an absolute disaster.

I actually like the dark blue for the Bills and feel that they are a blue facemask away from being truly beautiful.

Nice work on Tampa. It's obviously a huge upgrade. I thought "circus tent" on the sail logo as well, but that could probably be a few tweaks away from being very good and MUCH better than anything on rither sleeve right now. The omission of orange jumps out though. I have to admit, I miss that little bit of orange.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'd love to be able to make a small tweak to NYCFC's crest.

NewYorkCityFCBadge1-NYCFC.jpg

The white circle has always bugged me - it muddies the monogram.

Make the circle orange, and not only does it create continuity with the outer circles, but the monogram is now the only white in the logo, so it pops more against the background.

NYCFC_logo_fixed_wallpaper.png

All I want is for the Bills to drop the navy. Everything else, even the grey facemasks, can stay as-is.

I'd like to agree with you, but their continued bumbling of the socks are inexcusable. They should have blue socks with stripes matching the blue jersey (they have worn them at various times) and white socks matching the white jersey (which they've never had). Their mismatched sock stripes and pairing blue socks with blue pants is too much to take, even before you get to them doing a blue monochrome every so often.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Also, this is a concept thread I've long planned to do, but never gotten around to. I'd call it Tweak-apalooza, and go team-by-team, tweaking things slightly without changing logos to come up with the best possible uniforms in the spirit of the current set. It would be no problem if I took the team uniform images from the motherboard, but I figured I should probably draw them from scratch. Then I determined it was too much work so I gave up.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

While it's highly unusual for a team to have two different number fonts, there is one circumstance where it worked well: the Mets.

The Mets have always had normal block numbers at home. However, from 1962 through 1977 they had varsity (full block) numbers on the road.

tom-seaver.jpgseaver_zpsf42icue9.jpg

This worked well because of the "New York" wordmark. In 1974 when the Mets removed that mark and put "Mets" on the road jerseys, the varsity numbers didn't look good.

example_grip_circlechange_tomseaver_001.

Now that they have gone back to that beautiful road wordmark, they need to pair it up with varsity numbers as it was intended to be.

So I say that this:

mays.jpg

...is better than this:

usa-baseball-mlb.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

#3 Miami Dolphins

uniold-478x800.jpg

uninew-590x492.jpg

I almost totally disagree with this. The Dolphins are a bright and colorful team and using a boring M as a helmet logo goes against that. The big blue stripe on the helmet matches the jersey/pants, and a big orange stripe would not. Though I think they should get rid of the navy blue stripes and replace them with orange. And the sleeve logo has been a staple of Dolphins jerseys since the late 80s. The one thing I agree with is that the number font could stand to change.

The Dolphins aren't perfect, but they look great for a Nikefied team. Either stick with what they have or use a throwback permanently.

Fixing the Phins is really, really simple. Replace all the navy with orange. That will increase your strokes to the proper width and make everything cohesive. The end.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

#3 Miami Dolphins

uniold-478x800.jpg

uninew-590x492.jpg

- Number font looks like what the Steelers use now (minus the italics).

- Striping on the white parts of the uniforms, but not on the aqua parts?

- Using a letter logo on the helmets that make it look like a college team.

i guess i'm completely crazy for thinking the Dolphins' helmet designed as the old logo's was a good idea :/ i have never felt the current logo was up to NFL standards and was best to just eliminate it. but, i'll try to do better for the next one. maybe i'll get some assistance from another designer for a future logo or two.

EqM7Yln.png

some have said it makes them look like an NCAA team and that i definitely do not agree with. they (along with the other Nike NFL designs) already look like a college team.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

I actually want the dolphins to use the logo with the tiny little lines around the sun. i just love it

that's the last thing i expected to hear from Chuck Bednarik :)

I think the focus needs to me more on making adjustments to the current uniforms to make them better. It feels more like "NFL Redesign Concepts Fridays" than it does "Fix-It Fridays" with these last 2.

you're right, that is the goal with the articles. The Bucs were especially difficult and i may have gone too far in my own vision for Miami. i think we will really nail it next week

GRAPHIC ARTIST

I actually want the dolphins to use the logo with the tiny little lines around the sun. i just love it

that's the last thing i expected to hear from Chuck Bednarik :)

I think the focus needs to me more on making adjustments to the current uniforms to make them better. It feels more like "NFL Redesign Concepts Fridays" than it does "Fix-It Fridays" with these last 2.

you're right, that is the goal with the articles. The Bucs were especially difficult and i may have gone too far in my own vision for Miami. i think we will really nail it next week

Looking forward! Agreed on the Bucs one, that would be difficult.

I'm on the fence re: Miami's helmet. While the logo-to-real-life helmet sounds good in theory, I'm not 100% on the application of it.

What I think might help is to add the logo to the rest of the uniforms, specifically the aqua jersey and pants, that way it creates some sort of balance.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Archived