Browns Bucs

Buffalo

It could just be a bad photo, but the picture above looks closer to Virginia Tech's color scheme than Tampa Bay's (though obviously lighter than VT). I don't think that photo looks particularly good as it stands, and I think it would look worse if the red was as light as what the Bucs use. Also, like others have said, having the black provides some balance. Going from those colors above to pewter on the pants and helmets would look like some awful generation-mismatched uniform kids would play with in Madden.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In what universe would these numbers be considered legible?

temp082915-clevstb-26--nfl_mezz_1280_102

This one

This one

Seriously, those numbers can be seen just fine.

https://factoryofsadness.co/2015/09/06/cleveland-browns-coaches-dont-like-new-uniforms/

Tell me again?

I knew the moment I saw the orange on brown numbers that it was destined for failure, and now the Browns might have to switch to the orange alt for next year which is honestly a better look, but will still drive the Cleveland fans mad. They might just wear all white at home then. The whole situation is stupid.

bSLCtu2.png

That's the most baffling thing to me. THEY'VE MADE THIS MISTAKE BEFORE.

If anything the numbers were easier to see back in 84 because the outline went all the way around the number. Now the rise shadow creates a vibration and places orange directly on brown in some places. It's a terrible idea.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Have we ever gotten a definitive guide as to what is off-limits from being changed within the five-year period after a uniform is unveiled? Probably can't do anything for 2015 now, but would the Browns be able to invert the numbers on the brown jersey to white with an orange shadow for 2016?

(I know teams have made number tweaks to numbers on relatively new jerseys in the past, but how long has it been since the last one? The Rams in 2001ish?)

If anything the numbers were easier to see back in 84 because the outline went all the way around the number. Now the rise shadow creates a vibration and places orange directly on brown in some places. It's a terrible idea.

This is so browns.

People seem to completely misunderstand that the majority of off the field rules are not legally binding or set in stone. Many league rules are simply policies and guidelines that can be changed on the fly if circumstances justify doing so. If the browns need to change the numeral color to white I'm sure they can petition the league office and an exception/waiver is granted possibly for a nominal fee. In the private sector everything is always subject to negotiation.

This one

This one

https://factoryofsadness.co/2015/09/06/cleveland-browns-coaches-dont-like-new-uniforms/

Tell me again?

So, I watched the game when the Browns' first wore their brown jersey, and had a dismal time reading the numbers from the standard camera distance that 85% of the game action is shown in. I can only imagine how difficult it must be from the stands. I came on posted the above question... basically, how did they think it was going to work? The immediate responses (also above) shot down the very idea that these numbers are in any way hard to read. Now, just a couple of weeks later, here is confirmation that even the team coaches can't tell who is who when trying to grade film.

Is there any way anybody can defend this uniform on the basis of anything other than blind homerism?

This one

This one

Tell me again?

So, I watched the game when the Browns' first wore their brown jersey, and had a dismal time reading the numbers from the standard camera distance that 85% of the game action is shown in. I can only imagine how difficult it must be from the stands. I came on posted the above question... basically, how did they think it was going to work? The immediate responses (also above) shot down the very idea that these numbers are in any way hard to read. Now, just a couple of weeks later, here is confirmation that even the team coaches can't tell who is who when trying to grade film.

Is there any way anybody can defend this uniform on the basis of anything other than blind homerism?

"Those numbers can be seen just fine" Sure, on a close up photograph. Moving, on a TV, they're a nightmare.

I watched the highlights on my big HDTV and while they weren't completely indiscernible they weren't easy to read either and if numbers aren't easy to read that's kind of a problem.

PvO6ZWJ.png

This is so browns.

People seem to completely misunderstand that the majority of off the field rules are not legally binding or set in stone. Many league rules are simply policies and guidelines that can be changed on the fly if circumstances justify doing so. If the browns need to change the numeral color to white I'm sure they can petition the league office and an exception/waiver is granted possibly for a nominal fee. In the private sector everything is always subject to negotiation.

Sure. There would need to be compensation to Nike and maybe retailers for unsold jerseys, the league and sponsors for marketing materials that need to be reprinted (if any used the jerseys), and probably some fee to the league itself because money.

If it's a real problem, it'll be solved. Wouldn't worry about the "rules".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Blind modernism.

Blind uniform designers

My initial thoughts were that I liked the uniforms. Seeing them in action, there are at least 4-5 tweaks I'd make. Nike is just frustrating because a lot of their redesigns have gone in the right direction, just so many little head scratchers are done in the design to make it look horrible. The one thing I like about the new Browns uniforms is the consistent striping between the sleeves, helmet and pants. That was my biggest complaint about their old uniforms. I just hate how it wraps around on the front of the jersey.

This is so browns.

Sure. There would need to be compensation to Nike and maybe retailers for unsold jerseys, the league and sponsors for marketing materials that need to be reprinted (if any used the jerseys), and probably some fee to the league itself because money.

If it's a real problem, it'll be solved. Wouldn't worry about the "rules".

I don't think the Browns would have to pay to change them in this case. Nike designed every element of these uniforms. The league had just about as much say in this as the Browns did. The NFL, Nike, and the Browns undoubtedly did stadium tests to see how the uniforms looked from the stands and on camera in both daylight and under stadium lights. Nike designed this crap and the NFL has as much fault at the Browns for letting this see the field. If it is determined that the Browns need to go to white numbers for legibility (and not just for style), I'm sure the NFL would let them with no fines. And I'm sure someone in the league office would get fired over it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Leagues need a central authority to tell teams how not to look. For instance, there has to be someone at the NHL who says "black and white, no, you're stepping on the Kings" when the Lightning and Islanders try to dress up like the Kings, or "no, Lightning, you're stepping on Toronto's toes, too, what do you say we brainstorm this together." It's an essential part of making sure you have 30 or 32 distinct brands to sell, isn't it?

Likewise, I'm surprised the NFL, which is all about central authority, let this one slip through the cracks. Anyone could have told you there was not enough contrast for this to work, especially with motion and small screens. Getting married to a bad idea and seeing it through the steps meant to filter out bad ideas is not what I would expect from such large businesses. I'd expect that from a small-town sign shop run by a guy who just got his art degree.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Leagues need a central authority to tell teams how not to look. For instance, there has to be someone at the NHL who says "black and white, no, you're stepping on the Kings" when the Lightning and Islanders try to dress up like the Kings, or "no, Lightning, you're stepping on Toronto's toes, too, what do you say we brainstorm this together." It's an essential part of making sure you have 30 or 32 distinct brands to sell, isn't it?

Likewise, I'm surprised the NFL, which is all about central authority, let this one slip through the cracks. Anyone could have told you there was not enough contrast for this to work, especially with motion and small screens. Getting married to a bad idea and seeing it through the steps meant to filter out bad ideas is not what I would expect from such large businesses. I'd expect that from a small-town sign shop run by a guy who just got his art degree.

The lightning had Black uniforms before the kings ever did.

The lightning had Black uniforms before the kings ever did.

That's not true. The Kings switched to black in 1988. The Lightning joined the league in 1992.

Even still, the Lightning's black third looks stupidly similar to the Kings' regular black jerseys and the league should've never allowed it.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived