Name these teams

R3G

Kentucky Shouldn't-have-an-NBA-teamians

They would have had the Colonels if the owner, John Y Brown wasn't too cheap to pay the $1 million entrance fee to the NBA.

KC-World-Champions-1975.jpg

Actually, it wasn't a case of Brown being too cheap to get the Colonels into the NBA. It was that the NBA did not want Kentucky and St. Louis in after the merger and demanded that the others ABA owners make deals with Brown and the Silnas (Spirits owners) to fold their teams. Brown was just easier to buy off than the Silnas were.

and he and the owner of the Spirit of St. Louis have made hundreds of millions over the deal by accepting a certain % of the NBA's TV contract every year

St. Louis Rapids

Kansas City Express

Kentucky Colonels

Las Vegas Aces

Vancouver Mountains

Montreal Aces

Calgary Riders

Pittsburgh Climbers

Nashville Rockers

Cincinnati Stars

Albuquerque Rattlesnakes

Virginia Squires

Anaheim Runners

Mexico City Aztecs

You have Aces twice.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

St. Louis Archers

Kansas City Express
Kentucky Stallions
Las Vegas Gamblers
Vancouver Navigators
Montreal Miners
Calgary Turbo
Pittsburgh Triplets
Nashville Twangers
Cincinnati Chili
New Mexico (Albuquerque) SuperNovas
Virginia Swords
Anaheim Peppers
Mexico City Mexicans
Naming things is not my strong suit. My cat's name is Cat. I pity any children I might have in the future...

Why not?

Where? Lexington and Louisville are 100% college basketball cities, and if it's in Northern Kentucky, why not just base the team in Cincinnati?

The Kentucky Wild-Cards. Their colors would be red, blue, BFBS, and GFGS.

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I would love it if Cincinnati got an NBA team, but they need a new arena and with the way the city shelled out and got burned by Paul Brown Stadium, and GABP to a lesser extent I don't see that happening. Also the population isn't growing and is already pretty overextended by the Reds and Bengals. I don't think the city could handle a third major professional sports team.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• St. Louis Shooters (great basketball name)
  • Kansas City Captains (river boat history)
  • Kentucky Pioneers (KY was first territory west of Allegheny Mountains settled by pioneers)
  • Las Vegas Gamblers (many meanings for this city)
  • Vancouver Riot (the first thing I always think of now)
  • Montreal Expos (great uniforms)
  • Calgary Huskies (Husky Tower)
  • Pittsburgh Miners (history)
  • Nashville Stars (as in music stars)
  • Cincinnati Cosmos (Neil Armstrong was from Cincy)
  • Albuquerque Navajos (major local tribe, would make for great logos and uniforms)
  • Virginia Minutemen (obvious history)
  • Anaheim (Los Angeles Clippers of Anaheim)
  • Mexico City Marauders (it fits)

Las Vegas Aces

Montreal Aces

You have Aces twice.

It's only a problem if both cities get chosen.

87Redskins.png

Why not?

Uh... why should they? I mean, Kentucky? Have they ever had a pro team ever? Why would they deserve one now? Just because UK Basketball is good? Should Alabama have an NFL team? What makes Kentucky more deserving of an NBA team than say somewhere random like... South Carolina?

Plus, Kentucky is on this list: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-10-poorest-states-in-america-2014-12

You know nothing about Kentucky obviously. Aside from being some of the biggest basetball fans in the world, they have some major cities that are nothing like the "backwoods hillbilly moonshiner" stereotype you seem to have bought into. They actually offer as much or more culture than any northeasten city. It's not all shacks and feuding families with shotguns and over-alls. Louisville Slugger is a MAJOR company. Corvettes are all built in Kentucky (thought about the team name 'Vettes and a Corvette-themed team), you have the Derby and Churchhill Downs, many museums and great architecture, the Muhammed Ali Center and a ton of other attractions.

California has one of the worst economies in the nation...what's your point? NY and NJ are in the toilet economically when you look at taxes, unemployment, debt and cost of living. Other contenders on the list like Pittsbugh, KC and St. Louis are also poor cities. If Detroit can keep a team in the current state of their city, any city on this list could have one too.

Louisville could definitely support a basketball team better than a number of current NBA cities.

87Redskins.png

That's great that they have a bat museum and make corvettes there. I think it's really impressive. And maybe it could be related to their ability to house an NBA team somehow? I'll have to do some further research on the connection though.

Tell you what, since you think Kentucky is so ready to have an NBA team, let's sit back and see what happens. Let's pick up this debate in 50 years and see if they're ever even considered for a team. Pause this argument until 2065. Talk to you then

90758391980.gif

I would love it if Cincinnati got an NBA team, but they need a new arena and with the way the city shelled out and got burned by Paul Brown Stadium, and GABP to a lesser extent I don't see that happening. Also the population isn't growing and is already pretty overextended by the Reds and Bengals. I don't think the city could handle a third major professional sports team.

I spent a week in Cincinnati this past summer. The riverfront and downtown are fantastic. It's in a slight decline, but I feel they need an indoor winter sport team ie. basketball. But yea, the arena/money situation.

sig.png

• 2 weeks later...

Realistically, if you look at the numbers and run down average incomes versus number of pro teams existing in the metro area against the population of city and metro, (all against the average of existing teams) the NBA could realistically sustain an additional 6 teams over the next 15 - 25 years. A big argument for Louisville (I lived there) is that there isn't currently any other game in town, a formula that has worked fairly well for the NBA. Plus, your college fans are largely your built-in fanbase. The NBA is a higher level of the game. To indicate otherwise would be like saying minor league fans wouldn't rather have a major league team. My pick for 6 cities that could work, and fit into current conferences, are: Seattle (Supersonics), St. Louis (Pilots), Norfolk/Virginia Beach (Destroyers), Louisville (Colonels), San Diego (Tiger Sharks) and Pittsburgh (Hammers).

There are, obviously, cases to be made for other locations: Hartford, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Nashville and Vegas. Economics alone seems to eliminate KC. Hartford has a rather small city compared to its metro and proximity to 3 other teams. Cinci is a combination of economics and proximity to Louisville (a stronger potential market). Nashville is better left to their two current teams, for such a small city. Vegas has a great appeal, but if the NHL gets in their first and succeeds, you can bet the MLB and or NFL will not be far behind. The NBA generally fares better in smaller markets where it has less competition.

As for Canada, the weak current state of the Loony coupled the somewhat tepid turnout for Toronto and failure of Vancouver almost certainly preclude additional Canadian teams for the foreseeable future. As for Mexico City: It's simply too far away for a risk on an area with so little history in the sport. Baseball will likely break into that market first, and arguably in Monterrey first (closer proximity and lower elevation).

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions) | Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

and he and the owner of the Spirit of St. Louis have made hundreds of millions over the deal by accepting a certain % of the NBA's TV contract every year

I thought he took the one-time cash buyout and the Spirits owners took the percentage?

And IIRC, it's a percentage of the TV share from each of the former ABA teams. Not the NBA as a whole. Still a ludicrous amount of money for not fielding a team.

Archived