Google Reveals New Logo

Webhamster

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The multi-color G is the best part of it, really. Overall, it's a shame they lost their more iconic serifed font, but this is certainly a flexible system.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

looks good to me. when you look at the rest of their identity and design style, the logo really was out of place. any connotations about being too childish will disappear over time. im sure the softer colors are pulled from their material design standards and they definitely provide a better palette. well done as usual Google

Edit- just got a chance to read the guide Majeski posted above. I di like the aesthetic if the logo, but after reading that there is no doubt the new logo is absolutely better in every way. Nevermind what it looks like though, its not important that we like or don't like it. This design is carefully crafted in all its shape, form, and color to be a better becon of Google, and to work much better than the old. I don't think everything they do is perfect but they are absolutely one of the best design houses in the world and it shows through here

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I like the (for lack of better description) gps-symbol-over-the-homeplate but it's too abstract for Google to go with. There's a couple nice ones on that board too. Overall, it'll take a little getting used to, but not much. It's a clean look.

I did update my Google Maps on my phone and the 'g' is now a white version of the new "G"

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

The only reason anyone could possibly think the old logo was better is because of nostalgia.

It was a horrid typeface from the beginning, and still looked awful. The new look is modern, and like had been mentioned above, much more in-line with the rest of their brand.

... But what's wrong with that? A lot of successful brands basically build their entire identity around nostalgia. We see it in sports all the time.

In terms of success, Google is to the Internet what the Yankees are to baseball. I'm sure someone out there could come up with a more modern look for the Yankees; do you think that just because of that, they are going to change? No.

Google's old look was not outdated to the point where it really needed to be changed. That font was basically the "google" font in a lot of people's minds. Instantly recognizable, which is what a brand should be. Now they just look like some dinky startup.

It looks like a wordmark for a company that caters to children 5 years old or younger. I think they got it perfect with the update in 2013, but alas, it's gone after only 2 short years.

The one thing I do like though, is the multi-colored "G". That looks really clean.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

... But what's wrong with that? A lot of successful brands basically build their entire identity around nostalgia. We see it in sports all the time.

In terms of success, Google is to the Internet what the Yankees are to baseball. I'm sure someone out there could come up with a more modern look for the Yankees; do you think that just because of that, they are going to change? No.

Google's old look was not outdated to the point where it really needed to be changed. That font was basically the "google" font in a lot of people's minds. Instantly recognizable, which is what a brand should be. Now they just look like some dinky startup.

To me you're comparing apples to oranges. The Yankees have been around for far longer, in a sport that holds on to as much heritage as possible. Hence the new stadium using much of the ques of the old stadium. As well as the pinstripes. Google on the other hand is a company that is ever evolving and needed a logo that showed progress, fits with it's new culture and meets today's design standards that other companies seem to set. Was there anything wrong with the old logo? Not necessarily. But the change feels right for what today's modern society fits with.

They are definitely catering to the younger demographic with the new blocky sans-serif font, same approach as Koodo mobile imo. I think it's okay. It's not a disastrous downgrade. The new logo is very vibrant but the old one was classic. I'm on the fence here.

Archived