MiLB | Hudson Valley Renegades Rebrand UPDATE: Caps 9/3/15

Go Red Sox!

Hi guys!

Here is my latest rebrand of a Minor League Baseball team – this time it's the NY-Penn League's Hudson Valley Renegades. Their current identity was rebranded in 2013, but in my view it's one of the worst logos of the entire league. My goal was to create a raccoon that looks fierce and dauntless, like a renegade on one of these famous wanted posters.

Colors are unchanged, except the darker shade of blue (Hudson blue) was dropped to simplify the color scheme a little bit.

A full-bodied alternate raccoon logo might follow in the future.

Hudson%20Valley%20Renegades%20current%20

Current primary logo

Hudson%20Valley%20Renegades%20logo%20cha

Logo chart

Hudson%20Valley%20Renegades%20primary%20

Primary logo

Hudson%20Valley%20Renegades%20secondary%

Secondary logo

Hudson%20Valley%20Renegades%20cap%20logo

Cap logo

Hudson%20Valley%20Renegades%20uniform%20

Uniform wordmark logos on white home, gray road and dutchess blue alternate uniform

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Totally agree -- that raccoon head is awesome and would make a great hat. Its got a bit of a Timberwolves vibe, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Only feedback I have is that the blue dot on the eyes seems a bit disjointed (like the blue dot was the last thing that was placed and was just kind of placed on top) -- not saying that is what happened, but I think there may be a better way to incorporate.

Maybe the eyebrow line is the top layer (so that it cuts off the top part of the blue dot)?

Really like the secondary logo.

Great work as always, Go Red Sox. I'm not normally a fan of jagged-looking fonts but there's something I like about yours. The raccoon is a huge upgrade, as is the hat logo. My main critique would be the lack of a "Hudson Valley" wordmark for the road uniform, but beyond that, another top-notch rebrand.

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

Beautiful logos and wordmarks. Enormous upgrade.

Did you try the scripts (on gray/white) with the colors swapped? It would match the cap logo better in my eyes, and i feel like the darker color would work better as a shadow (like on the blue wordmark).

Also, this is kind of out there, but I think it would be neat to see an alternate jersey with a full-sized "Hudson Valley" wordmark arched above/below the raccoon head.

To understand what i mean, think of a college basketball jersey (with a logo instead of the number): http://uniformcritics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/FSU-Nike-N7-Native-American-Heritage-Uniform-675x380.jpg

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

The renegades have one of the worst brands in the MILB, I would absolutely buy a hat with your racoon head. Great work, and I love the new scripts

Thanks a lot, raysox. Much appreciated. In fact, the 2013 rebrand was at least two steps backwards because their previous logo wasn't that bad at all.

Totally agree -- that raccoon head is awesome and would make a great hat. Its got a bit of a Timberwolves vibe, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. Only feedback I have is that the blue dot on the eyes seems a bit disjointed (like the blue dot was the last thing that was placed and was just kind of placed on top) -- not saying that is what happened, but I think there may be a better way to incorporate.

Maybe the eyebrow line is the top layer (so that it cuts off the top part of the blue dot)?

Really like the secondary logo.

Thanks a lot, levijeromeSF! Much appreciated. The blue dot is still well below the "eyebrows", so it shouldn't cut it off.

Great work as always, Go Red Sox. I'm not normally a fan of jagged-looking fonts but there's something I like about yours. The raccoon is a huge upgrade, as is the hat logo. My main critique would be the lack of a "Hudson Valley" wordmark for the road uniform, but beyond that, another top-notch rebrand.

Thanks, FlyingLamprey! The Renegades have no "HUDSON VALLEY" road uniform. They got their initial logo on it. To be honest, I didn't even think about creating an extra HUDSON VALLEY wordmark, except for the one in the primary mark.

now that is the right logo for the team! The current one they have right now is a ripoff big time. It is huge upgrade and better suit for the team.

Thanks, JMtexan09. Much appreciated.

Not sure if I'm sold on the Renegades font (personal taste), but it's very well executed and that HV logo is KILLER. Nicely done!

Thanks a lot, Jordan. Much appreciated!

Beautiful logos and wordmarks. Enormous upgrade.

Did you try the scripts (on gray/white) with the colors swapped? It would match the cap logo better in my eyes, and i feel like the darker color would work better as a shadow (like on the blue wordmark).

Also, this is kind of out there, but I think it would be neat to see an alternate jersey with a full-sized "Hudson Valley" wordmark arched above/below the raccoon head.

To understand what i mean, think of a college basketball jersey (with a logo instead of the number): http://uniformcritics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/FSU-Nike-N7-Native-American-Heritage-Uniform-675x380.jpg

Thanks a lot, LEWJ.

My bad. I accidentally had the "RENEGADES" wordmark on the gray road uniform, but they just use their initial logo for that (corrected). The wordmark on the white home jersey keeps its blue shadow/outline because the raccoon head on the black cap also has a blue outline which in my view wouldn't look so good if it was white.

The alternate "HUDSON VALLEY" uniform is a pretty good idea. I will definitely think about it!

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Logos look great, as usual. I love seeing a solid MiLB re-brand. On the hats though I love the middle one, it's perfect, but the one on the left I think would make a nice alt with a blue bill/button, and I'm not a fan of the script logo on a hat. I say stick it on the jersey and that's it.

NEWSGG copy.png

I know this may be my 1st post, but I just had to comment on this.

This looks fantastic. But one thing I'd like to see here with your caps is a blue brim option.

Thank you, KillSmith. And a blue brim hat is a good idea.

Logos look great, as usual. I love seeing a solid MiLB re-brand. On the hats though I love the middle one, it's perfect, but the one on the left I think would make a nice alt with a blue bill/button, and I'm not a fan of the script logo on a hat. I say stick it on the jersey and that's it.

Thanks a lot, ThePeam. You're absolutely right about a blue-brim raccoon cap. About the wordmark logo: The Renegades alternate cap also has the wordmark on it, but with the raccoon's tail. I didn't want to copy that, so I left the tail out. I just thought about replacing the wordmark with just the raccoon's tail? Might look better and is more creative than just the wordmark.

Archived