NHL 15-16: wife-beaters, adulterers, cokeheads, rapists, pill-poppers, AND METHODISTS

The_Admiral

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rats! I was gonna suggest "2015-2016 NHL Anti-Golf Thread" as the NHL season thread title.

You should've started it two months ago. Thread reservations go by fast around here!

We're getting to the point of having Admiral name every thread, which depending on what butters your bread, can be a good or bad thing.

"Seriously, another two threads about gumdrops? The hell is this site coming to?"

This is admirals site and were just living in it.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

The NHL scheduled a Blue Jackets-Blues split squad scrimmage tonight against each other. One group played the Blues in St. Louis and the other group played the other Blues in Columbus at virtually the same time. It wasn't annoying to follow along on twitter at all.

Yep, Leafs & Sens did that the other night. Congratulating Babcock for a victory when the other half of the team lost in Ottawa or something.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Sigh, it's Sharks time again. This year, I came prepared.

201010-w-liquor-everclear.jpg

No more joy, no more pain, no more emotion. Just numbness at the idiocy of this organization and The Best Fans in HockeyTM that make this franchise so despised.

P.S. JK, not drinking myself into numbness. I simply expect the Sharks to disappoint again, whether it be in the regular season or playoffs (sadly without the hubris-heavy claim about not wearing the Seagate black alts in the playoffs).

We'll ship you some Malort for March and April.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I happened to catch the final moments of Flyers/Rags and noticed they were using a slightly different version of a Skycam during the action. It was a little weird at first, but I wonder if other Comcast markets are going to use the same technology. The main difference from what I could tell to the others was mainly the movements being more lateral based, rather than front to back or up and down.

They went with that angle throughout the game. It was a little too weird for me but the commentators were saying how it was somewhat like a video game. I agree.

A few years ago the Kings broadcast an entire game (regular season) from the camera above the penalty box. The fans didn't like it and they never did it again.

It's a couple of decades I think, but we've seen how sturdy these leases can be if the team really really wants out... IMO they'll be back at the Coliseum in 5 years, which oh look, that's when it's renovations are supposed to finish!

Isn't the renovated Coliseum only supposed to hold like 13,000? I think they're turning it into dedicated concert venue like the Forum.

It's a couple of decades I think, but we've seen how sturdy these leases can be if the team really really wants out... IMO they'll be back at the Coliseum in 5 years, which oh look, that's when it's renovations are supposed to finish!

Is that you Ed Mangano because he said something about as bizarre a week or two back?

As much as I loathe the move to Brooklyn and would love to see the Isles back in Nassau that ship done sailed and IMHO they ain't coming back.

The Isles still practice in Nassau and most players said they intend to keep living there. Maybe the developers will be smart about things and remodel the Nassau Coliseum into something that can still support the NHL after all, you know, just in case.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

And moving back to Nassau would be the stupidest :censored:ing thing ever. I've preached this a number of times before; moving to Brooklyn is best for the team's visibility. Let's face it, for the most part, they've been completely irrelevant playing at Nassau. But that can change in Brooklyn. Brooklyn is a huge market that they're tapping into, and it's something that they always should've considered, as opposed to being a last resort. Yes, the Barclays Center isn't ideal for hockey, but I'd rather have an imperfect venue in a fantastic location than the opposite.

The Isles still practice in Nassau and most players said they intend to keep living there. Maybe the developers will be smart about things and remodel the Nassau Coliseum into something that can still support the NHL after all, you know, just in case.

I highly doubt this. The remodel will decrease the capacity of the arena and they're supposed to put an AHL team in there (probably Bridgeport.) Thus, I think a lot of the "they'll play in Nassau again" is just grandstanding by the Nassau County Executive.

And moving back to Nassau would be the stupidest :censored:ing thing ever. I've preached this a number of times before; moving to Brooklyn is best for the team's visibility. Let's face it, for the most part, they've been completely irrelevant playing at Nassau. But that can change in Brooklyn. Brooklyn is a huge market that they're tapping into, and it's something that they always should've considered, as opposed to being a last resort. Yes, the Barclays Center isn't ideal for hockey, but I'd rather have an imperfect venue in a fantastic location than the opposite.

Only problem is Brooklyn is in the middle of Rangers country and they're going to market to a finite group of people who aren't currently fans of any team or want to go see the "new" attraction in town. The reasons the Isles were in your words "irrelevant" at Nassau was because after a string of bad owners going back to the late '80's (including the Spano debacle)who put a bad product on the ice for the large majority of that time the fans found better things to spend their money on. Combine this with a bad building (except for the sight lines) and a (now sort of, kind of, soon to be former) owner who was more interested in an extravagant real estate building then building an arena and thinking about developing the remainder of the area later...well, you get what we have now. Anytime that there was a remotely decent product on the ice the fans did come back to the building in droves. Time will tell whether the move to Brooklyn was the right one but I can see the building causing issues a couple of years down the line.

If the Islanders become perennial playoff contenders, & performers, might the Brooklyn locale ever squeeze the Devils out of the greater metro area? Not entirely just because of that, rather to relocate them to an untapped market like Seattle or Portland down the road.

Back to Barclays, TSN had a 'piece' about it earlier on tv... I was channel surfing so I didn't get the full details... pointed out that the zamboni entrance is the exact tunnel that visiting teams use. Thus during warm-ups, visiting teams have had to skate behind the home goal, in lieu of the zamboni coming & going or something...?

I dunno... Bob McKenzie was rambling on about that how goofy it is; I butchered the details yet it is something else to laugh about.

The best thing for the Isles & Brooklyn would be to have a very strong season & healthy playoff run. There could be a bizarre charm to the place when the team is going good, for their sake finding new fans in NYC.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

If the Islanders become perennial playoff contenders, & performers, might the Brooklyn locale ever squeeze the Devils out of the greater metro area?

No. Devils ownership has the master lease to the Prudential Center and I think they just signed a big new contract with MSG Networks. If anything, I think the departure of the famously marketing-averse Lou Lamoriello is going to help the Devils assert themselves in the marketplace.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If the Islanders become perennial playoff contenders, & performers, might the Brooklyn locale ever squeeze the Devils out of the greater metro area?

No. Devils ownership has the master lease to the Prudential Center and I think they just signed a big new contract with MSG Networks. If anything, I think the departure of the famously marketing-averse Lou Lamoriello is going to help the Devils assert themselves in the marketplace.
Are the Devils paying on their lease yet?

Archived