Houston Galaxy NHL Expansion Concept

TrueNorth13

At one point there was talk of another NHL franchise in Texas, based out of Houston. I took that information and created my newest NHL concept, the Houston Galaxy. I chose Galaxy because it still has that space theme, but doesn't steal any names from the sports world in Texas. Its hard to choose a good name when Astros, Rockets, Stars, and Texans are all gone. But I think I found a name that some people would like. I know not everyone will be found of the name. It does sound like a amateur name, but a professional soccer team does have the name, so yeah. The logos are pretty self explanatory. I chose Saturn to put in the logo because it looks cool. And thats what I thought of first. The uniforms are where it gets a little crazy. I love the classic stripes, but I thought I should try something different. For the waist stripes, I made it look like the rings of Saturn, from the logo. On the arms, I added the city skyline into the stripes, also from the primary logo. C&C is much appreciated :)

Ll8eWaG.png

e5tCgCV.png

S7brIbA.png

I did create an alternate logo. Its pretty basic, but I wanted to incorporate the space shuttle into the design. I'm thinking, when I create the alternate jersey, I'll put horizontal stripes on the chest under the shuttle, but I have not created the uniform yet.

G6SJ5jG.png

I like this. It's very unique and creative. I'd say that the primary logo is a bit hard to read, especially on the jersey. The stroke of the word "Galaxy" clashes a lot with the blue and white. Something like this is a good example of eliminating that clash. A heavier stroke will make it easier on the eyes.

I really like this set. Everything looks great, all of the logos, the uniforms, and the striping on the unis. But, I would like to see a blue alternate, and a name change that makes this go from amateur to NHL caliber. That would make this AWESOME.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Guest darkpiranha

I think the primary logo would be stronger without the text. A little refinement and this could be something really special. I love the colour scheme and the background images.

Agreed. See what it looks like without the text. Otherwise, I like it a lot.

And seancarter, you're right. "Aeros" IS the only correct team name for a Houston hockey team. It's just a waste of time for anyone to go to a Concepts forum and post a concept that's different than something that already exists. The OP should just cut and paste a jpeg of an Aeros design and call it a day.

These look really good. I agree with what's been said about removing the words from the primary. I'm also not crazy about that number font, something a little blockier and maybe notched like the word "galaxy" in the primary would work better and fit in with the whole space theme

x1elJNM.jpg

HenryJens, I'm totally with you on the number font. For some reason, the font I used for Galaxy, doesn't include numbers. Like it won't type numbers. Not sure why. I tried to find another font to use with numbers, but that was the best one. So I just used it and used a different font for the numbers.

I love this concept. But, I think eliminating Galaxy from the primary logo and leaving Houston would make this stronger. I do suggest contracting the star from the alternate logo, too. Either that or make the ring thinner and the star bigger with a blue outline. Not a huge fan of the rocket logo, however. I do like the uniforms. I suggest replacing the skyline with some striping of sorts. If not that maybe even try to incorporate some stars? This is a great start. Also, I think the number font is fine. It's unique and fits the concept.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

HenryJens, I'm totally with you on the number font. For some reason, the font I used for Galaxy, doesn't include numbers. Like it won't type numbers. Not sure why. I tried to find another font to use with numbers, but that was the best one. So I just used it and used a different font for the numbers.

Did you try to find another font that was similar enough? Anyways, I like the majority of the look. The logo is pretty sharp, albeit I would like to see the Rocket used somewhere..

new_orleans_krewe_player_sig___qb_donny_

I love it! Especially the color scheme.

But, why are the logos of a planet and a rocketship, but not an actual Galaxy?

The first reason is the fact that I loved how the planet turned out. And my start from scratch logos don't usually turn out so well. The second reason is, after researching what a galaxy looked like, putting it in logo form didn't make sense. It looks eerily similar to the Hurricanes logo and I didn't want that to be the case. And naming the team after a planet doesn't make sense but I can't use Astros because it's taken.

That's cool!

That jersey would work for the name Apollos too, and as we all know, "Houston" was the first word spoken from the moon. I went to Johnson Space Center a couple of weeks ago, and although the space shuttle no longer is in use, they still train astronauts there and communicate with them on the International Space Station. Meanwhile, I wish hockey would make a comeback to the Bayou City because when I was a kid, I'd go see the Aeros play at the Compaq Center often.

Houston is also known as the energy capital of the world, so you could have also used an energy-related team (Fusion, Force, etc), but I dig what you did

A couple ideas here:

1) Modify the Texas State logo with the ring to form a hidden "G" (for Galaxy). Nice little hidden logos are the best.

2) You could add an old school hockey mask design/pattern (Mighty Ducks mask for reference) on the planet to create a crater illusion?

3) The ring around the planet also looks like it could be the outer edge of a hockey puck. Could play in to further logo development.

Dislike:

1) Not a fan of the colors scheme.The combo of that blue and orange/brown just doesn't look right for some reason.

Lime, black and silver would be nice.

2) I understand Galaxy and the planet logo etc.... but the Rocket ship doesn't make any sense other than it's just a rocket ship? What about adding hockey sticks to the bottom on both sides for the fins/wings?

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

A couple ideas here:

1) Modify the Texas State logo with the ring to form a hidden "G" (for Galaxy). Nice little hidden logos are the best.

2) You could add an old school hockey mask design/pattern (Mighty Ducks mask for reference) on the planet to create a crater illusion?

3) The ring around the planet also looks like it could be the outer edge of a hockey puck. Could play in to further logo development.

Dislike:

1) Not a fan of the colors scheme.The combo of that blue and orange/brown just doesn't look right for some reason.

Lime, black and silver would be nice.

2) I understand Galaxy and the planet logo etc.... but the Rocket ship doesn't make any sense other than it's just a rocket ship? What about adding hockey sticks to the bottom on both sides for the fins/wings?

So 1) I'm not switching the colour scheme. Especially to lime, black and silver. That doesn't make any sense with what I created.

2) Some people might like incorporating sports icons into the logo (sticks, pucks) but, for the most part, I can't stand it. It seems unnecessary to add those things, and tends to mess it up. In my opinion. With baseball logos, it looks better. And the Ducks do it well, but there's not much else, in my opinion. And the rocket is an alternate logo because the space shuttle was a big part of the space program in Texas and Houston.

I respect your opinions on my concept, but I'm not going to change things that I like about it. I have been thinking about changing the name, as well as following people's ideas on removing the name from the primary.

Guest darkpiranha

Hey, what if you rotated the ring around the planet a bit (from 9 o'clock/3 o'clock like it is now, to 11 o'clock/5 o'clock) and then have that become a G by putting a little tab on the bottom to make the ring a G?

Hey, what if you rotated the ring around the planet a bit (from 9 o'clock/3 o'clock like it is now, to 11 o'clock/5 o'clock) and then have that become a G by putting a little tab on the bottom to make the ring a G?

Concept looks great. What would you think about changing the inside of the rocket ship alternate logo into an H? Just by pushing the blue blocks to the top/bottom. I think that would tie the ship in with the rest of the set.

Both of these ideas make sense to me completely like I also mentioned above but whatever not my thing to tinker with. Some ideas to improve fall on deaf ears.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Archived