NBA G-League Still Needs to Expand

hettinger_rl

On 2/11/2017 at 7:53 PM, RoughRiders99 said:

Now that there will be 25 teams in next year's D-League season, how would you realign the conferences/divisions? 

5 divisions of 5 teams apiece? Or 2 conferences with 2 divisions and 6 teams (one with 7 teams) in each conference?

That's probably the plan. 2 conferences with 13 teams in one conference and 12 in the other. In fact, I can throw an example out for you...

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division

-Delaware

-Greensboro

-Erie

-Lakeland

-Long Island

-Maine

-Westchester

Central Division

-Canton

-Fort Wayne

-Fox Valley

-Grand Rapids

-Raptors 905

-Windy City

Western Conference

Southwest Division

-Austin

-Iowa

-Mid South

-Rio Grande Valley

-Sioux Falls

-Texas

Pacific Division

-Northern Arizona

-Oklahoma City

-Reno

-Salt Lake City

-Santa Cruz

-South Bay

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baton Rouge has the LSU competition. Lafayette has UL. Shreveport is a bit of a reach and closer culturally to Dallas than the swampier southern Louisiana. Alexandria might work, but a city that hasn't had a minor league team in several years is Lake Charles. Which would be where I would think a team might fit the best.

7 hours ago, RoughRiders99 said:

Do you think it'll be possible for the NBA to expand their draft to maybe 3-4 rounds so they can have more players to stash in the D-League once it has 30 teams? Make it a true minor league system. 

While Silver wanted a 3 round draft in 2015, the CBA was just ratified with no change so a longer draft is highly unlikely.

Plus, adding two rounds may increase the number of "one and done" players who sign with agents and terminate their NCAA eligibility. Plus, there are many teams which don’t even bring their second-rounder picks to camp because they know they’ll have to waive them (and lost those rights) if there’s not a roster spot available for them at the end of camp.

Starting next season, each NBA team can have two-way contracts and a 17 player roster, if the two-way players are called up.

http://dleaguedigest.com/2017/01/19/d-league-two-way-contracts-change-nba-landscape/

7 hours ago, RoughRiders99 said:

Do you think it'll be possible for the NBA to expand their draft to maybe 3-4 rounds so they can have more players to stash in the D-League once it has 30 teams? Make it a true minor league system. 

They can just sign as free agents I suppose

On 04/08/2017 at 5:38 PM, KittSmith_95 said:

It would mean more European guys would be coming over to play NBA Ball. 

If the draft was 3-4 rounds?

No, they wouldn't.  Their agents would force a team to guarantee a roster spot for them to make the move because they're not going to play in the G-League for pennies.

Has there been any more word on the remaining teams looking to field D-League teams. I know the Clippers were talking about making an announcement around the all star game, but haven't seen it if they did. They had narrowed their choices down to San Diego, Long Beach or Anaheim.

• 2 weeks later...

New Orleans G-League has 6 respondents

Hmmmm.

Baton Rouge; Jackson; Mobile; Pensacola; St. Tammany Parish and Shreveport.   No Lafayette or Lake Charles. And my pick-- Biloxi, home to a decent arena (Mississippi Coast Coliseum) and no college competition -- did not respond.

Not sure where a team in St. Tammany Parish would even play-- a high school gym? There is no suitable facility there that I know of....

It is what it is.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BlackBolt3 said:

IMG_0124.JPG.489dce22cb047569387d260592a5be16.JPG

33 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

That name is worse than anything Brandoise could ever come up with. 

I mean, they're pretty much just following the greater LA second-fiddle trend. Dipping their toes in, before eventually moving to the Honda Center.

The Ducks and Angels are the real culprits.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Archived