NBA G-League Still Needs to Expand

hettinger_rl

I'd love to see this implemented as well! I've always thought how cool it would be if other sports were like baseball. Hockey followed suit, and shows it works well there too. I couldn't see them going deeper than the one league, maybe a rookie league for those that want to skip college. They could have like 10 teams there and each NBA team could have the rights to 3 players each, then decide who gets called up at season's end, like a full on tryout.

For the Bucks, I would prefer the team to be in Madison, a little easier commute, and more basketball fans there than Green Bay.

packchampionslfroh.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You see, that's a good thing because it allows the league to expand and it reaches into a region where the league actually started (the South).

Ultimately I'd like to see the D-League become more of a farm system as well (ala MLB and NHL). I'd really like to see the teams become more than the pseudo practice squad that they seem to be perceived as and I think that the NBA is going to have to LET that happen. The teams need to be allowed to develop a brand identity. Lets get some classy looking unis and full logo sets. Maybe the Nike deal will help propel this thought.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Sticking a team in that giant arena just screams "this is only going to be a tax writeoff"

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Two more new entrants are rumored for next season:

The Brooklyn Nets are expected to place their D-League team in the post-renovation Nassau Coliseum, which will seat between 4,000 and 8,000 in a basketball configuration.

And the Chicago Bulls are said to be starting a team at Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, IL.

D-league teams should stick to smaller arenas (under 10K) IMO. I hope there's a smaller venue in Greensboro than The Coliseum for them to use one day.

It looks like they're going to not going to play in the Coliseum itself, but in a 2,300-seat fieldhouse that's part of the complex, according to the FAQ on their website (PDF file).

Two more new entrants are rumored for next season:

The Brooklyn Nets are expected to place their D-League team in the post-renovation Nassau Coliseum, which will seat between 4,000 and 8,000 in a basketball configuration.

And the Chicago Bulls are said to be starting a team at Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, IL.

D-league teams should stick to smaller arenas (under 10K) IMO. I hope there's a smaller venue in Greensboro than The Coliseum for them to use one day.

It looks like they're going to not going to play in the Coliseum itself, but in a 2,300-seat fieldhouse that's part of the complex, according to the FAQ on their website (PDF file).

http://espn.go.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0453972143437255773-4

Mike MazzeoESPN Staff Writer
The Nets will officially announce tomorrow that their D-League team will play its inaugural season at Barclays Center in Brooklyn for 2016-17 before moving to the refurbished Nassau Coliseum for 2017-18 and beyond, a league source confirmed to ESPN. The team will be called the Long Island Nets. SB Nation fan site NetsDaily.com reports the team could play double headers with the NBA Nets next season.

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, hettinger_rl said:

Minnesota Timberwolves have purchased the Iowa Energy and will now have a 1-1 affiliation.

Article........................

In response to that, the Grizzlies are purchasing an expansion team which will call the Landers Center in Southaven (only 20 miles from Memphis, but on the other side of the Tennessee-Mississippi border).

Story here.

bYhYmxh.png

15 minutes ago, hettinger_rl said:

Wow, 23 teams with 19 being 1-1 affiliated now.

Probably going to end up with 30 before long. Everyone is eventually going to want their own exclusive affiliate if this continues.

Have to wonder at this point how much longer the Heat keep their affiliate in Sioux Falls, especially as a hybrid and not a fully-owned farm club. This season appears to be the final one under their current agreement. Every other D-League team is (or will eventually be) within the same region, if not metropolitan area, as its parent club in a few years, and teams are taking advantage of having their affiliates so close by.

3 minutes ago, Waffles said:

Have to wonder at this point how much longer the Heat keep their affiliate in Sioux Falls, especially as a hybrid and not a fully-owned farm club. This season appears to be the final one under their current agreement. Every other D-League team is (or will eventually be) within the same region, if not metropolitan area, as its parent club in a few years, and teams are taking advantage of having their affiliates so close by.

Makes sense from a basketball perspective but have to hurt the teams financially. Do many people in LA, Brooklyn, Salt Lake City, OKC, etc really care to watch minor league basketball when they have an NBA team already?

1 minute ago, VDizzle12 said:

Makes sense from a basketball perspective but have to hurt the teams financially. Do many people in LA, Brooklyn, Salt Lake City, OKC, etc really care to watch minor league basketball when they have an NBA team already?

Probably depends on how they do it. The Santa Cruz Warriors for example have been doing great and are really popular. But they also found themselves and under served niche over the hill from San Jose and the bulk of the Bay Area. But I suspect most cities have such niches that can be exploited either in their immediate metro areas or nearby.

As long as teams don't just throw the towel in and pull more LA D-Fenders.

Ok so the remaining NBA teams without affiliates are below, with some prospective locations they could look at for affiliates.

- Washington = Baltimore?, Norfolk?, Richmond?

- Milwaukee = anywhere in Wisconsin other than Madison

- New Orleans = Bossier City/Shreveport?

- Portland = Boise? Sioux Falls (see below)

- Denver = Denver suburbs?

- LA Clippers = San Diego?, LA outskirts (Ontario, etc.)?, Anaheim?

If Miami wants out of Sioux Falls, I could see them placing a team in Fort Myers if it works.  The Sioux Falls can be affiliated with Portland.

9 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Ok so the remaining NBA teams without affiliates are below, with some prospective locations they could look at for affiliates.

If Miami wants out of Sioux Falls, I could see them placing a team in Fort Myers if it works.  The Sioux Falls can be affiliated with Portland.

Geographically I think Denver would take-over Sioux Falls (or even Milwaukee) before Portland. Teams really want that close affiliate so they can ship a guy out for a D-league game and call him back for an NBA game the next night..

32 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

The Clippers will probably follow the Lakers lead and just drop a team at some gym in LA or out in Ontario. I can't see them changing course on San Diego now (which is to ignore it as they have since the day they relocated out of San Diego). They don't really have many fans in San Diego to take advantage of since they're another team that's screwed this town, and the basketball fans of SD are pretty well satiated with the Aztecs.

Archived