NBA G-League Still Needs to Expand

hettinger_rl

21 hours ago, OMMF said:

Semi-off topic: The St Elizabeth Arena looks great but why are the Mystics moving there to share space with the Go-Go? The Mystics averaged 7000+ and are now going to a building that seats a little over half that? I guess business-wise it must make sense but initially, it doesn't.

Ted Leonsis and the city wanted year round regular tenants for the main arena. G League runs fall to spring and WNBA runs during the summer. Plus with the numbers you mentioned, the Mystics are likely to sell out (or have near sellouts) at the new arena on a regular basis. Especially coming off a finals appearance.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, OMMF said:

Semi-off topic: The St Elizabeth Arena looks great but why are the Mystics moving there to share space with the Go-Go? The Mystics averaged 7000+ and are now going to a building that seats a little over half that? I guess business-wise it must make sense but initially, it doesn't.

If you cut the supply of tickets, you can (artificially) inflate the demand and charge more.

13 hours ago, dfwabel said:

If you cut the supply of tickets, you can (artificially) inflate the demand and charge more.

There's something you'd never expect to be said about a WNBA team.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

• 4 weeks later...

Denver should just shove a team in Loveland with the Eagles and Portland should just throw a team in the old barn next door and both be done with it.

The South Bay Lakers play with a capacity of 750.  It's not like we have to worry about the G League being a money maker.

VmWIn6B.png

34 minutes ago, Waffles said:

Down to only the Nuggets and Blazers without a team (or plans to launch one).

lol @ Escambia County.  I think the Pelicans really wanted their affiliate in Pensacola but were getting sick of having to deal with those clowns.

34 minutes ago, Waffles said:

Crowds at a renovated Legacy Arena (formerly BJCC Coliseum Arena) will be pretty scarce. Post renovation, which will finally add suites to the building, capacity will still be over 17,000

56 minutes ago, Kaz said:

lol @ Escambia County.  I think the Pelicans really wanted their affiliate in Pensacola but were getting sick of having to deal with those clowns.

Precisely. They HAVE an acceptable arena, and couldn't make up their minds about sticking with what they have and have a G-League team, or follow some shady developer and build a new one.

But Birmingham? Six hours away? Still wondering why nearby Biloxi and the Mississippi Gulf Coast Coliseum were never in the mix... probably because the Biloxi Shuckers, despite having a pretty good team (two championship appearance in 4 seasons) aren't setting the world on fire at the turnstiles.

It is what it is.

3 hours ago, Waffles said:

So that would be the third take on the Bayhawks in Erie? Erie 1.0 is now in Lakeland and Erie 2.0 is set to go to College Park, Georgia next season.

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

It may be a while for the Blazers due to the passing of Paul Allen.

Ahem. Of course, this report was before Mr. Allen's passing.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

22 hours ago, buzzcut said:

Ahem. Of course, this report was before Mr. Allen's passing.

Oooooh, Vancouver, BC and not the one across the river. That'd be cool if it happens. But, let's just cut to the chase and move the Grizzlies back there.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Is anybody up to date on the development of the Delaware Blue Coats facility? I haven't been able to find anything. All I know is that the Blue Coats won't start playing there until later in the season. I believe most of their early season games will be on the road, with one game actually in Philly and a handful at the University of Delaware.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

4 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Is anybody up to date on the development of the Delaware Blue Coats facility? I haven't been able to find anything. All I know is that the Blue Coats won't start playing there until later in the season. I believe most of their early season games will be on the road, with one game actually in Philly and a handful at the University of Delaware.

Barring any unforeseen delay, the 76ers Fieldhouse will open on January 4.

Has it been proven that there's any benefit to having an affiliated team in this league?  Do guys regularly get sent up / down like in baseball?  It doesn't seem the kind of place that you'd put a prospect, since anyone with any identified potential is going to be with the NBA team, right?  Is Portland or whoever really at any kind of competitive disadvantage from not having a team?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived