NBA G-League Still Needs to Expand

hettinger_rl

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

BUMP

The Capital City Go-Go recently posted a seating chart for the upcoming season.

2018-19-Go-Go-Full-Season-Tickets.jpg

The official capacity of the new venue is 4,200. The upper decks seats are blacked out in the seating chart though, so I guess they will not be available for Go-Go games. Just taking a guesstimate here, but I think just the lower level seats somewhere between 2,500 and 3,000. Good size for G-League. Probably smart to restrict available seats for now.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So I take it that there has been zero progress on G-League teams for Portland, New Orleans and Denver?

There was a rumor a few months ago that Portland was looking at Vancouver, BC as a possible location for a team. 

23 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

The official capacity of the new venue is 4,200. The upper decks seats are blacked out in the seating chart though, so I guess they will not be available for Go-Go games. Just taking a guesstimate here, but I think just the lower level seats somewhere between 2,500 and 3,000. Good size for G-League. Probably smart to restrict available seats for now.

Was contacted by A Capital City Go-Go ticket rep today. They told me the upper deck seats will in fact be available for their home games. Gonna guess that where the comp ticket holders will sit lol

wikipedia page for this Go-Go arena: 

Members of the DC Council sought to introduce legislation capping public expenditure in the case of cost overruns.[4] In July 28, Greg O'Dell, Chairperson of Events DC, requested an additional $10 million in funding while decreasing the number of seats in the facility.[5] He said earlier estimates were premature.[5] In 2018, O'Dell announced that the cost had increased to $68.8 million, due in part to additions like drywall, and catwalks and higher than anticipated costs like contractors.[6]

"Sorry, we went way over budget, turned out our building needed drywall"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

wikipedia page for this Go-Go arena: 

"Sorry, we went way over budget, turned out our building needed drywall"

Hope they got their $#** together because that arena is supposed to host a Goodman League event on 9/22. First Go-Go home game is 11/3.

By the way the name of this new venue is St. Elizabeth East Entertainment and Sports Arena. Kinda wordy, but I'm sure it will unofficially be shortened to St. Elizabeth Arena.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 11:35 PM, GDAWG said:

So I take it that there has been zero progress on G-League teams for Portland, New Orleans and Denver?

The answer could be putting a G League team in the same city as the big club. Are there any small venues in those cities that could realistically host a G League team?

48 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

The answer could be putting a G League team in the same city as the big club. Are there any small venues in those cities that could realistically host a G League team?

Realistically? Yes for all three.

Portland has Memorial Coliseum still operating and its basically adjacent to the Moda Center. As close as the Chesapeake Engery Arena of the Thunder is to the Myriad (convention center arena) for the Blue.

There was also talk that the Nike Global Campus could host a team.

New Orleans has lots of options if the want to use local colleges. D2 Xavier has a really nice arena.

Denver has the Denver Coliseum and it's basically used for swap meets and gun shows.

A little update on the Capital City Go-Go's arena. No pics of the inside yet, but Events DC has updated the venue's websites with renderings of how it will look for various events (basketball, concerts, esports & boxing/MMA) as well as seating specs.

http://esaontherise.com/basketball/

Basketball-Rendering-01.png

Capital City held open tryouts today at the new arena. Up to 4 players can earn a spot on their camp roster. They posted some pics from inside the main arena (with the team's floor) and some inside the Wizard's training courts.

41779759_240333676639264_409652125266608

41695121_240289449977020_745513738982077

41900363_240289399977025_393431662870711

41863510_240289376643694_855718806482321

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:14 PM, 4_tattoos said:

A little update on the Capital City Go-Go's arena. No pics of the inside yet, but Events DC has updated the venue's websites with renderings of how it will look for various events (basketball, concerts, esports & boxing/MMA) as well as seating specs.

http://esaontherise.com/basketball/

Basketball-Rendering-01.png

esports will not die, will it?

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

esports will not die, will it?

Only if videogames die lol. To be honest, I only dislike the name "esports". Just call it Professional Videogaming. Not knocking anybody that plays video games, pool or cards professionally, but they're not sports. ESPN shouldn't be giving airtime to those competitions, but they do ?

I'm on the fence about whether I consider bowling a sport or not lol

The official ribbon cutting ceremony for Capital City's arena was earlier today. The Goodman League held some games in the arena later in the day (which may still be going on as I post this). Anyways here's some pics Events DC posted of the inside of the arena.

42447186_1994910253909354_19768372400509

42308503_1994910237242689_64487390467042

Semi-off topic: The St Elizabeth Arena looks great but why are the Mystics moving there to share space with the Go-Go? The Mystics averaged 7000+ and are now going to a building that seats a little over half that? I guess business-wise it must make sense but initially, it doesn't.

Archived