Looking to start making logos...

Islesfan079

Do any of you guys have any tips/suggestions? Tutorials... or anything? I use Photoshop 7.0 and have decent knowledge of it, however I can never start with nothing... I may have an idea, but it comes out looking like crap on the Adobe canvas. I use the pen tool for virtually everything, could that be a problem?

Any advice is much appreciated.

I used Photoshop to create logos up until earlier today. :D

For creating a logo from scratch, it's hard to go back the PShop once you've used Illustrator, but I found that using some of the filters like Artistic>Cutout can take complex images like photos and make them look more basic and logoish, at least providing some inspiration into how to make it clear but simple.

I had taken Photoshop as far as it would take me and I desperately wanted to move to the next level, so I'm finally on Illustrator after not using it for about 2 1/2 years.

If at all possible, you should try to do the same, especially because you're familiar with the pen tool, which is the main component of Illustrator.

Forget all those programs! Good logos start with good art. From head to heart to hand. Draw thumbnail sketches on paper, tweak them until you get what you like and then you can always scan it in and do some clean up. Then use the almighty power of the computer. I'm still on CorelDRAW 9.0 and love it. I've even been known to transfer my prints to illustration board and airbrush them. I learned this from old signpainters who use old techniques with modern technology to come up with great stuff. I love old school. You will find your own technique, good luck!

I'm out!

CLHEL2.png

I agree, axl.

When you are trying to come up with a logo idea, the first step is get away from the computer!

Take a pad and a pencil, go somewhere and start drawing your ideas. It might take a while, but you will get better concepts that way.

When you think you have something, then go back to the computer. You don't necessarily have to scan it in -- you could copy it with the pen tool or whatever. But while a computer is good for "drafting" a logo, it tends to stifle the creative juices.

At least for me it does.

CK3ZP8E.jpg

Probably another good idea, is first draw it on paper, and if you got a scanner, scan it on to Photoshop, and make it all smother and more professional, and basically what everyone else said use ur mind, not the computer.

4kv29i.jpg

If you search for it, somewhere on these boards, iDonovan gave a great step by step of how he takes a concept from paper to final digital design.

Somewhere else, Steve-o did another great step by step on how his logo evolve from rough to finish.

Find those two, and you'll get off to a great start.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Archived