Same team, different league

nash61

I was looking at the Evansville Icemen's team history, and realized that the Muskegon Lumberjacks of the IHL were in there. Currently, the Lumberjacks play in the USHL. That got me thinking about what teams have been around as the same team name, but in a different league. Bonus points if the logo stayed the same. Mergers are not preferred. Here's what I came up with quickly.

Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL) -> Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL)

Muskegon Lumberjacks (IHL) -> Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)

Utah Grizzlies (IHL)-> Utah Grizzlies (AHL)-> Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

San Diego Gulls (IHL) -> San Diego Gulls (WCHL) -> San Diego Gulls (WSHL) -> San Diego Gulls (AHL)

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Peoria Rivermen - ECHL->AHL

->SPHL

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

This covers a huge chunk of North American soccer.

Without covering all of the history . . .

Seattle Sounders

Portland Timbers

Vancouver Whitecaps

Montreal Impact

New York Cosmos

Ft. Lauderdale Strikers

Tampa Bay Rowdies

Baltimore Blast -- MISL -- NPSL -- MISL II -- PASL

Dallas Sidekicks

San Diego Sockers

St. Louis Steamers

. . . I'm sure I've missed a few.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

->SPHL

IHL->ECHL->AHL->SPHL.

I guess I am not certain that the IHL team was the "same" but the branding has been pretty similar for all four leagues.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

->SPHL
IHL
->ECHL->AHL->SPHL.

I guess I am not certain that the IHL team was the "same" but the branding has been pretty similar for all four leagues.

Same nickname, but the logo changed on the IHL-ECHL transfer, as well as on subsequent ones.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

what teams have been around as the same team name, but in a different league

Used to be common in MLB and the early NFL.

New York Giants

New York Yankees

Pittsburgh Pirates

Boston Braves

St. Louis Cardinals

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Washington Senators

Brooklyn Dodgers

Cincinatti Reds

Baltimore Orioles

Milwaukee Brewers

San Diego Padres

Los Angeles Angels

Miami Marlins

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

what teams have been around as the same team name, but in a different league

Used to be common in MLB and the early NFL.

New York Giants

New York Yankees

Pittsburgh Pirates

Boston Braves

St. Louis Cardinals

Cleveland Indians

Detroit Tigers

Washington Senators

Brooklyn Dodgers

Cincinatti Reds

Baltimore Orioles

Milwaukee Brewers

San Diego Padres

Los Angeles Angels

Miami Marlins

:blink:

Orioles, yes. The old Western League. The Brewers moved from the AL to the NL back when they were still different leagues. But the Angels, Padres and Marlins, while named after earlier teams, are not those teams. They have each played in one league and one league only.

Ditto for any other MLB team founded after 1901, with the notable exception of the Brewers (and possibly the Astros, depending on your point of view).

Archived