American Premier League (12/12 - Week 20 Standings Update)

Roadrunner8ball

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

North Star United was formed in 1970 by a group of investors trying to make their fortune on the boom of soccer in America. By the time they came into existence the APL was on its rise to one of the top sports leagues in the US. It was the 2nd franchise added to the league by Peter C. Wolters. The team is named after the Minnesota North Stars, who's owners started the team. The owners placed the team in Brooklyn Park to try to distant themselves from the downtown area and Minneapolis. The crest has remained the same for much of their existence. It features the Minnesota state animal, the White-Tailed Deer, as well as two stars in the Northern section of the crest. The top and bottom are separated by a black banner which has "North Star" on it with "United" being directly under the banner, and "1970" being under that. It has 2 vertical stripes on the outside of the "United" and "1970". Those 2 stripes are featured on the home jersey. It is a blue base with the 2 white stripes in the middle. On the away jersey it features 2 stripes, one black and one blue under the logo. The colors are taken from the Minnesota state flag, with the addition of black to give it some pop.

Enjoy!

screenshot_31_zpsjam7eody.jpg

Suggestions: Little Rock Nine (sponsor: Sam's Club), Green Bay FC (sponsor: Kohl's), Deseret FC (sponsor: Zions Bank), New Orleans Crescent (sponsor: Popeye's), Maple Vermont FC (sponsor: Ben & Jerry's)

These are just some suggestions. Keep up the good work!

I believe that Roadrunner said that locations were set in stone, so I don't think he'll be accepting those (however I really like the idea of Deseret and I wish I had used it for my SLC concept). I don't want that to come off as disparaging in any way since you're rather new to the forums (we all have to start somewhere), but for future use, be sure to read the original post in any concept thread to see if they want help on anything (just reading it in general is a good idea to get a background).

And Roadrunner, this series is pretty great so far, though I'm curious - why did you go with 12 teams? As for C&C, a couple things feel off about North Star United. I feel like the ribbon could be thicker since the text feels too constricted. It also feels like the top half of the blue field is kinda empty, though I'm not sure about what could go in there - maybe move the stars further up? Beyond that, the uniforms look fantastic and the colors are great (probably why I really like what the Impact use). Can't wait to see where this series goes!

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

The Fargo Bison were founded in 1921 by pioneers wanting to play soccer in North Dakota. They gained quite the reputation around the Northwest. They beat teams from Washington, to Manitoba, and even a team from Fairbanks, Alaska. One of the team's greatest achievements is ending Bear Republic's 132 game winning streak in 1946. From that the Old West Rivalry was born. The rivalry is one of the best rivalries in American pro sports. There were actually fights during games in the 1950s and when the APL was founded in 1960, the rivalry was as intense as ever. Even today both teams still hate each other. Every year since the 1960 season, the teams meet 3 times. The winner of the Old West Rivalry is awarded the Pacific Cup. Fargo has captured the Pacific Cup 34 times, while Bear Republic has only captured it 31 times since the APL was founded.

Fargo's logo has pretty much remained the same throughout their 94 year history. It features a green bison on a white shield. Under the bison it has the team name "Fargo Bison" and the year they were founded, 1921. The colors are green and white. The Bison don a green home jersey with a white sash, and white collar. The shorts are green and take the sash design as their stripe. Their away jerseys are simple, but loved by the people of Fargo. It is a solid white jersey with a green line above and below the sponsor.

Enjoy!

Fargo%20Bison%20Jerseys_zpsk0edv8qu.png

Portland 1907 was founded in 1907 by 2 Englishmen who were working in Portland at the time. From 1907 to 1960 when they joined the APL as a founding member, they competed in 3 leagues in the Northeast. The leagues were the Maine Football League from 1907-1912, the New England Championship from 1913-1920, and the Northeast Premier League from 1921-1959. Portland holds the record for the most Northeast Premier League championships with 13, the most in the leagues history which ran from 1917-1961. When they made the switch from the struggling NEPL in 1960 to the new APL, many fans thought Portland was going to thrive in this new league. They were very wrong. From 1960 to 1968 the highest Portland finished in the standings was 7th out of eight teams. This was after they won seven NEPL titles in a row before the switch! Fans got angry, players got mad and left, and in one crazy incident, Portland had to forfeit its last 5 matches of the season in 1968 after they players were so discouraged with the results that they just stopped coming to play. The APL hit Portland with a one year ban and fined them $154,000 which amounts to 1 million dollars in todays world. After the one year ban in which the city of Portland was thrown into chaos by the ban, and selling all of their players, Portland started fresh. The finished 5th that year and continued to climb up in the standings until their 1st APL title in 1982. Today, Portland is a mediocre team, with many older players. They still finish in the middle of the pack, usually 6th or 7th.

The team's logo is a shield with an outline of Maine on it. It has a banner which wraps around the shield with "Portland" on it, and "1907" under it on the shield. The team dons, stripes at home. A purple jersey with tan stripes, and cuffs. The away jersey is a non-striped version of the home jersey. It features a gray jersey with purple cuffs. This logo was one of the tougher to do in this series. C+C on how to improve the logo would be greatly appreciated, as I think it can be better, but do not know how to improve it.

Enjoy!

Portland%201907%20Jerseys_zpsfiexiana.pn

Also, a little bonus as this is the 6th team I have posted, making the series halfway complete. This is a map of the APL with the cities of upcoming teams as well as the locations of teams that I have already posted. Thanks for all the great C+C and I hope you like what I have in store for the 2nd half!

Enjoy!

APL%20Map_zps5sgaw6jv.png

Clever way with the map by having people guessing which actual city is getting a team. Although I can tell one is El Paso for sure, and other two is possibly Jacksonville, FL and Lafayette or Lake Charles, LA. the other three is bit tough. But I look forward for the next 6 teams! Keep it up!

Still loving Tucson!

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

• 2 weeks later...

Boston Rebels FC was born out of dispute between the original team, Boston Athletic, and Massachusetts Premier League in 1911. The team was unhappy with their pay and lack of funding to keep the team running. The MPL would not meet their needs and the team eventually left the league. Boston then started calling themselves the rebels for the Patriots who helped start the American Revolution. Fans of the MPL called them the rebels for a very different reason. They called them the rebels because they were rebelling against the Mass Premier League. So from the dispute a new team was born, the Boston Rebels, or as their name is Boston Rebels FC. To forget the dispute from the MPL they have their establishment date as 1912. Boston tried many times to get teams away from the Premier League, but they were unsuccessful. The team then started to play in exhibitions up and down the East Coast until the year 1927. In that span the team went 456-91-53, one of the best 15 year spans in soccer history. In 1927 the team joined the Eastern League of Football Clubs. Boston won 17 league titles in their 33 years in the league, and won a league record 31 out of 33 games in 1957. That year they lead the world in goals scored with 154, points with 94, wins with 33, and least goals allowed with 27. In 1960 they joined the APL as one of the founding teams. The rest is history. 19 American Cups, 27 regular season championships, and the best coach in APL history. Samuel Revere managed the team from 1985 to 2005. In that span he won 14 of the 19 American Cups for Boston and 17 regular season championships.

The logo features Paul Revere riding his horse on his famous "Midnight Ride" to warn the colonists about the British. It has a red soccer ball with 19 and 12 on either side to signify the year of establishment. The team dons red kits at home with white cuffs with a blue stripe. Away from home the Rebels wear a white jersey with 2 blue stripes going down the middle of the jersey.

Enjoy!

Boston%20Rebels%20Jerseys_zpslls3abke.pn

With the APL season wrapping up only a few weeks ago, I will be providing updates on standings (4 weeks at a time) for the rest of the series. For determining results I use a method similar to how Veras sims his football league. I use a random number generator to create a value for the home and away team. The home team's value can be between 1 and 5 while the away team's value can be between 1-4. This accounts for home field advantage and the accurate percentage of draws that can occur. From there I compare the numbers and the high number determines the winner of the match. For example, lets say Team A is the home team and Team B is the away team. For Team A the value the generator spits out is 4 and for Team B it spits out 3. Team A would be the winner of the match. For the score I use a 6 sided die and subtract the number by 1, so there can 0 goals scored, and that would be the final score. So going back to the example, Team A won, for them lets say I roll a 4 and for Team B lets say I roll a 2. The final score would be 3-1 with Team A being the winner. If anyone has any question feel free to PM, I apologize if it sounds confusing. Now to the standings.

APL%20Standings%20graphic%20Week%204_zps

Archived