One NBA, Under Nike: Seattle Returns

Raven52

Loving this, for the most part. One thing to consider: the implications of an "italicized" building, especially in an area anticipating a devastating earthquake anytime between right this second and a few hundred thousand years from now.

The Space Needle's only slightly italicized in the primary logo and not italicized on the secondary logo at all, not to mention the city of Seattle will survive the earthquake and barely be affected by the resulting tsunami--it's the coast and inland regions west of the Sound that are going to be devastated--so I think this concept would be fine. Fair point, though.

Even so, to me, there's something off the trend of "italicizing" physical objects. But it's saying something that this is my only quibble with a fantastic concept.

Way to introduce yourself to the boards, Raven52.

rATMcmK.png

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really like what you've done with the Sonics. The sleek, italicized wordmarks are excellent, and they use the color scheme well (then again, that color scheme is nearly impossible to screw up). While I like the arch template, yours is an excellent update upon the concept. I especially like the use of the Northwest stripe-style panels, given their precedence in the Sonics' history.

My only real complaints are the numbers and the logos featuring the Space Needle. Outlining the numbers on the home and road would certainly improve the look (in terms of visibility). I would suggest using the pattern of the panels for outlining the numbers (i.e. on the home uniform, the numbers would be green with white and yellow outlines). As far as the Space Needle logos go, I'd rather the building not be slanted. Instead, place the building and the letter on a straight line, so that the italicization of the letters show up even more. I know that goes against the way the wordmarks are set up on the uniform, but I feel that it would improve the concept.

All in all, a great first concept! I look forward to seeing what other concepts you put out in this series.

Small update here. First though, thank you all for the kind and constructive comments. I've been an admirer on this site for an extremely long time and it's good to finally try my hand.

1. I thought the outlined number idea was great, however the development of it didn't go well. Adding an outline meant adding two outlines (I would have wanted to keep a green space between the white number and yellow outline on the away jerseys for example.) I eventually settled for a color change that seems to balance out both jerseys better anyway.
  2. I literally have no idea why I put Durant and #23. I think I had input them at different times and didn't ultimately "fact check" at the end.
  3. As for the wordmark and number font, I actually created it myself. It's not exactly intricate, but I was afraid it would feel unbalanced at points. The flourishes on the end stemmed from an early idea of speed lines that made the letters look like they were buffeting, but it eventually go to such a fine level of detail that it just muddied the concept. I actually quite like the flourishes now, but I do agree they get lost a bit on the white (which seems to be a common problem in the concept).
  4. I removed the waist logo because I agreed that it was unnecessary. It was an arbitrary inclusion based on their old uniforms anyway.
  5. Most of all, the Space Needle has been un-italicized. I honestly had no thought about the ramifications of it, and thought of it more as an abstract representation of the Needle than an official logo. The alternate logo is proving to be a more difficult change to make, so that will come later. Also I wanted to keep the wordmark on a slant that was consistent throughout the concept, however changing the angle of only the Needle wasn't as jarring as I expected it to be.

A court and an alternate (although the yellow is tough) is definitely on its way, as well as ideas for other expansion teams. I decided I may be doing four and then you all can choose the most deserving concept.

Sonics Final Presentation-01.png

Sonics Final Presentation-02.png

Sonics Final Presentation-03.png

Wow, excellent job on this. Blown away with this whole concept, especially the custom typeface. Can't wait to see what you have next.

bWdXRDv.jpg

ZgaIoh4.jpg

I believe in Auburn and love it!                                                 @RealTCutt                                                                            Colossians 3:23

I agree with everyone; this is an awesome concept. BUT I'm afraid I have some bad news...well a suggestion. Is there a way to add more yellow to the logo?

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

Raven, this is amazing work. I didn't think un-italicizing the Space Needle was as necessary as others ITT, but that subtle change seems entirely warranted now. And the decisions you made to alter the color balance (and, relatedly, the legibility of the numbers/NOB on the white uniform) seem perfect to me. The uniforms now reflect the color hierarchy of the primary logo: green (primary), white (secondary), athletic gold (accent). And while some may want athletic gold as the secondary color and white as the accent, I think too much athletic gold can easily be overwhelming, not to mention the fact that the (Super)Sonics' old logos used to be exclusively green & white. As for an athletic gold alternate, I appreciated that we had one in the later years, but like I said, that color can be pretty overwhelming, so I think it was best used sparingly.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Archived