Strange Playoff Structure

smzimbabwe

Was reading about a league where the top 8 teams make the playoffs, but the top 4 have a "draft" to pick who they want to play in the first round. So the top team picks who among 5-8 they want to play, the #2 team picks from who's left, and so on. Couldn't find info on how the next rounds go, other than they are all best-of-5. Never heard of that before.

Mind telling us the league name/info where you found it?

I'm intrigued and would like to know more

Sailbandyliiga in Finland. I was curious and reading up on floorball, and this was the description of their playoffs. Didn't know the D-League did it. So not only do you get home floor advantage by finishing first, you can choose your opponent for a better matchup.

Rugby League's Super League had something a bit similar until the current season, whereby the top eight teams in the league advance to the play offs and at points in a convoluted system the top-ranked clubs got to choose their opponents rather than having them decided by placing or a random draw.

Wish the NBA would open the playoffs with 1-16 seeding, no conferences, and use something like this. The only argument for the geographic conferences being used in the playoffs is to eliminate travel (but go look up GS's travel requirements last year). Letting the teams choose their own opponent gives them the option of flying across the country for the worst possible opponent or staying closer to home while matching up with a marginally more difficult team.

PJU85JF.png

This is very unique, bit I like the idea. Do you go the easy route or do you try to take out a bigger competitor in a lower seed early?

No way would you pick the toughest opponent, unless you felt you had some kind of special matchup with them. I think I've advocated on the boards for a system like this before. Imagine the drama when a higher seed is upset by the opponent that they themselves picked.

Archived