Re-Inventing the Wheel (Wing Updated 9/26)

McElroy19

Howdy Guys. Today I've got a project of mine for you to look at. I'm rebranding the redwings and trying to bring their very classic very untouchable logo into the 21st century. I'm a redwings fan so this one hit close to home and I really wanted to do the logo justice while putting my own style in it. Let me know what you think!

tumblr_nv5mjwXUlQ1rwet5qo1_r1_540.jpg

and for a Adidas take on the jerseys:

tumblr_nv5mjwXUlQ1rwet5qo2_1280.png

💻linktr.ee/McElroy19 // ✍️ Graphic Design — Vegas Golden Knights. //✏️ Sports Logos and Uniforms
✨✨Let’s work together!! ✨✨

Creamer. Award. Nominee.

Agrred

Wings look a little too much like feathers but this is very nice. Cool to see something different from a Red wings logo.

Agrred as well

@Mcelroy maybee reinvent the uniforms?

WSna22D.gif

YKBcuDz.png
I am the guy who loves Wisconsin

Wings look a little too much like feathers but this is very nice. Cool to see something different from a Red wings logo.

I was going to say I read the front two as leaves.

I've gotten that a couple times now. I'm trying to figure out how to fix that. If I get rid the "stem" bit it looks to empty.

💻linktr.ee/McElroy19 // ✍️ Graphic Design — Vegas Golden Knights. //✏️ Sports Logos and Uniforms

I was going to say I read the front two as leaves.

I've gotten that a couple times now. I'm trying to figure out how to fix that. If I get rid the "stem" bit it looks to empty.

What about, instead of splitting the leaf-feathers into four, like you've got here, you split them into three?

I mean, worst case scenario, you wind up with three little leaf-looking wings and not two big ones, but still.

I think you've finally uncovered something for me -- why I'm not usually very fond of Red Wings updates. It's not because of my fandom, or the tradition I hold in such a high regard, it's the modernization of the wheel. Something about it throws off the elegance of the logo -- totally a matter of opinion here, but I'd love to see an update of the old wheel. The new feathers look great, IMO.

Creamer. Award. Nominee.

Agrred

Agrred as well

I'm going to do some new uniforms I like that Idea, just going to perfect the logo first.

I think you've finally uncovered something for me -- why I'm not usually very fond of Red Wings updates. It's not because of my fandom, or the tradition I hold in such a high regard, it's the modernization of the wheel. Something about it throws off the elegance of the logo -- totally a matter of opinion here, but I'd love to see an update of the old wheel. The new feathers look great, IMO.

That's interesting I sort of thought the same thing while making it. I'll probably do something more classic as well.

For now here's an update to the Wing:

i2BDbHc.jpg

Creamer. Award. Nominee.

Agrred

Agrred as well

These are really cool, great work. The Adidas stripes on the sleeve make me shiver, though.

WissX was some great spelling skills. Let me know if you agrre.

Creamer. Award. Nominee.

Agrred

Agrred as well

These are really cool, great work. The Adidas stripes on the sleeve make me shiver, though.

And I don't have great grammar skills. Whoops! WissX HAS some great spelling skills. Now I sound like a moron too.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Damn. Solid. Detroit%20Red%20Wings%20Logos%201.png

The one thing i'll say is that I like on the old one how the wing is covering less of the wheel and sort of looks like its hooked on at a point right next to the central axel whereas yours currently looks like its plastered on top , and the top right gives the impression of wings on both sides of the wheel, whereas yours only looks like one. I'm sorry if that didn't make sense, but its a really sharp look and I like that your touching the untouchable. Its close IMO

You have certainly got an interesting take on the Wings logo. But in my opinion, I think if the Red Wings logo is going to be updated... it would need to be very subtle. For instance just minor adjustments to the feathers. That would be it. I might be old school, but it's just one of those logos that is just so perfect...to alter it drastically is very hard to do. The original has excellent proportions throughout...especially with the feathers. The transition from wheel to wing is flawless.

That said, your version is cool. I think if you can just create a good balance in the feathers so that they follow the shape of the wing, and if you can create a good wheel to wing ratio (wing could be a little larger) you will have an excellent update.

spacer.png

Creamer. Award. Nominee.

Agrred

Agrred as well

Creamer. Award. Nominee.

Agrred

Agrred as well

And I don't have great grammar skills. Whoops! WissX HAS some great spelling skills. Now I sound like a moron too.

I know my spelling is AMAZING. :)

WSna22D.gif

YKBcuDz.png
I am the guy who loves Wisconsin

Damn. Solid. Detroit%20Red%20Wings%20Logos%201.png

The one thing i'll say is that I like on the old one how the wing is covering less of the wheel and sort of looks like its hooked on at a point right next to the central axel whereas yours currently looks like its plastered on top , and the top right gives the impression of wings on both sides of the wheel, whereas yours only looks like one. I'm sorry if that didn't make sense, but its a really sharp look and I like that your touching the untouchable. Its close IMO

This is a really great point, and I think following this advice would probably solve your issue of it looking like a plume of feathers.

Absolutely brilliant concept though. I love seeing people take on iconic logos like this and knocking them so far out of the park that even rusted on fans of that franchise love the update.

Well done!

Archived