NFL to Los Angeles Rebranding

colortv

merlin_olsen_1967_09_17.jpg

On a side note, the Saints NEED to go back to this shade of gold....

Agreed-- like, YESTERDAY!! This is such a true "old gold" as it was commonly called growing up. It seemed so perfect for the Saints as well, wiht an apeearance more brass-looking like an old trumpet or sax, which tied in to jazz instruments and the whole name tying in to the jazz standard, "When the Saints Go Marching In"....

Not sure why the lighter shade and term "Vegas Gold" supplanted "Old Gold" to generally represent metallic gold, but for the love of God, please make it stop....

It is what it is.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Besides, if the Chargers move, the conceit will be "their old fans can just drive up I-5 to see them."

LOL... Yeah no. Majority of their SD based fans will not be following the Carson or Inglewood Chargers.

I didn't mean to suggest it was a good argument, but that's already the narrative. The owners are saying it already. So no, I don't think the Chargers would be looking for a fresh start in the event of a move.

Is this not is a good argument?

San Diego is about as far from Los Angeles as Philadelphia is from New York. But I have always been led to believe that the perceptions of distance in the West are far different to those on the East Coast.

A 100-mile trip is, in terms of those Western perceptions, a short one. So wouldn't a move of the Chargers to Los Angeles be roughly in the same class as the move of the 49ers to Santa Clara or of the L.A. Rams to Anaheim?

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Howabout Rams keep the gold, but switch the navy for royal? Off the top of my head I can't think of any royal and vegas gold teams in the major sports leagues. They'd need to bring back the gold pants though.

I can't imagine that looking good. Too drab, just in a different way from how the St. Louis stuff is drab. It's like keeping navy but going back to athletic gold: you have to commit to one or the other. I'd just go back.

Plus, we live in the era of Nike and they pretty much refuse to make gold fabric anyway, causing the Rams to drop their gold pants and change the numbers and trim to matte bleh. There's little worth remembering from the navy and gold era, and absolutely nothing from the navy and beige era.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Besides, if the Chargers move, the conceit will be "their old fans can just drive up I-5 to see them."

LOL... Yeah no. Majority of their SD based fans will not be following the Carson or Inglewood Chargers.

I didn't mean to suggest it was a good argument, but that's already the narrative. The owners are saying it already. So no, I don't think the Chargers would be looking for a fresh start in the event of a move.

San Diego is about as far from Los Angeles as Philadelphia is from New York. But I have always been led to believe that the perceptions of distance in the West are far different to those on the East Coast.

A 100-mile trip is, in terms of those Western perceptions, a short one. So wouldn't a move of the Chargers to Los Angeles be roughly in the same class as the move of the 49ers to Santa Clara or of the L.A. Rams to Anaheim?

Not really.

Levi's/Candlestick and Angels Stadium/Coliseum are both less than 40 miles apart, LA and San Diego are 150 miles away, nearly four times as distant.

Plus Santa Clara and San Francisco are part of the same contiguous metropolitan area. You can't say the same about LA and SD.

If you're looking for an Eastern analogue, Anaheim/LA is NYC/Newark. Not NYC/Philly.

The Niners market already included Santa Clara (hell their training complex was situated what is now next to their new stadium for over 20 years now). Same thing with Anaheim and the Rams 30 mile move from the Coliseum, Anaheim is part of the larger LA market. Hell their stadium mates in Anaheim are the Los Angeles Angels today.

San Diego on the other hand is a completely different market from Los Angeles. One that is more often than not hostile culturally, socially and on the sports scene to its larger neighbor to the north (remember LA has already stolen an NBA team from San Diego... and fans from SD didn't follow that team north either). And while distances are seen as "smaller" in the west, they're not THAT much smaller. Your Philly to NY example is apt taking into consideration that LA is farther from San Diego than Philly is from NY. Philly to DC, Cleveland to Pittsburgh, or Philly to Baltimore would also be apt comparisons... but you get the point. The 120+ mile distance is still 120+ miles. To drive for instance from the Chargers current home to either of the proposed venues in LA is over 4 1/2 hours on a good day round trip. On a Thursday or Monday night game... you're looking at 6 hours.

Some people really need to learn their national geography.

LA and Southern California is very spread out. I live in North Los Angeles County, and to attend a Chargers game at the 'Q' it's between a 150-175 mile journey depending on which freeways I choose to take, and that is always dictated by sigalert.com which tells you how traffic is looking and is always updated showing where there's accidents and slow moving traffic .

Either way, it's between a 2½ to 3 hour drive from my location depending on traffic .... If I lived more in the LA basin where the Coliseum and Dodger Stadium is, or where Kroenke's Hollywood Park land for the Rams new stadium will be, those are all about 45 mins from my house alone, and if it was a Monday or Thursday night game 45 mins just to get that far would be superb but not very realistic.

When they were talking about putting a stadium (Farmers) in Downtown LA, that site would have been erected inside the most congested area in all of LA County and there would have been no way to enjoy the NFL experience of tailgating. That concept was ridiculous. Both San Diego and the Chargers need to do everything they can to keep them in San Diego, the current site is a great location and I don't blame Spanos for not wanting to be Downtown like the Padres are. If SD was to lose the Chargers it'll have a major effect on their local economy for years to come, and good luck getting another team.

The NFL needs to let the Rams return without any hassle or Kroenke should pull an Al Davis and go to court for an immediate injunction, because he'll win. The NFL should help the Raiders out like they did with SF so they could get a new football-only stadium just as the 49ers got, because the Raiders belong in Oakland. LA does not deserve nor desire to have 2 NFL teams, 1 will be suffice and as I've stated many times, the Rams are the most natural fit, having been here from 1946-1994 and they still have a big fan-base just itching for their return.

That again is my 2¢.

Chargers: Get rid of powder blue, maybe bring back the yellow pants.

If the Chargers get rid of the powder blue, they need to match the helmet with the home jersey?

I think a combination of electric blue and volt might be a good combo for the Chargers.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Chargers: Get rid of powder blue, maybe bring back the yellow pants.

If the Chargers get rid of the powder blue, they need to match the helmet with the home jersey?

I think a combination of electric blue and volt might be a good combo for the Chargers.

You might be on to something there - I've long thought that volt should be used for the TB Lightning, but it might work equally well with the Chargers - and if "electric" blue is what I think it is (darker than royal but lighter than navy) it could be a good combo. If they need to change - there's no pressing reason for them to.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Some people really need to learn their national geography.

LA and Southern California is very spread out. I live in North Los Angeles County, and to attend a Chargers game at the 'Q' it's between a 150-175 mile journey depending on which freeways I choose to take, and that is always dictated by sigalert.com which tells you how traffic is looking and is always updated showing where there's accidents and slow moving traffic .

Either way, it's between a 2½ to 3 hour drive from my location depending on traffic .... If I lived more in the LA basin where the Coliseum and Dodger Stadium is, or where Kroenke's Hollywood Park land for the Rams new stadium will be, those are all about 45 mins from my house alone, and if it was a Monday or Thursday night game 45 mins just to get that far would be superb but not very realistic.

When they were talking about putting a stadium (Farmers) in Downtown LA, that site would have been erected inside the most congested area in all of LA County and there would have been no way to enjoy the NFL experience of tailgating. That concept was ridiculous. Both San Diego and the Chargers need to do everything they can to keep them in San Diego, the current site is a great location and I don't blame Spanos for not wanting to be Downtown like the Padres are. If SD was to lose the Chargers it'll have a major effect on their local economy for years to come, and good luck getting another team.

The NFL needs to let the Rams return without any hassle or Kroenke should pull an Al Davis and go to court for an immediate injunction, because he'll win. The NFL should help the Raiders out like they did with SF so they could get a new football-only stadium just as the 49ers got, because the Raiders belong in Oakland. LA does not deserve nor desire to have 2 NFL teams, 1 will be suffice and as I've stated many times, the Rams are the most natural fit, having been here from 1946-1994 and they still have a big fan-base just itching for their return.

That again is my 2¢.

The only difference is that you'll have 3 franchises trying to lay claim to the same market at the same time. This situation is far from done as of now neither project is able to garner enough votes from ownership to move forward. Goodall would have to broker a deal between 4-5 factions that all have varying allegiances with the owners that want to move. While LA has appeal the upfront cost to relocate is absurd and by the time you run all the numbers a relocation would likely end up in a wash.

I'm just not convinced this is a done deal especially if stl comes up with $400 mil + in public money. Kroenke has zero risk in inglewood as he paid next to nothing in the sweetheart deal that was brokered by his wife with wmf. He'd actually make money on flipping it as the real value in that area is residential.

Lastly there will be no rebranding for any of the franchises, maybe some uniform updates but that's it.

Now make that fouts era blue or slightly lighter with volt bolts and we're in business.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Now make that fouts era blue or slightly lighter with volt bolts and we're in business.

During the pre-Spanos era of 'Air-Coryell' in the earlier part of the 80s the Chargers barely wore these bright blue jerseys, but these are my favorite set for them outside of the 60s power blues or what we saw for AFL-50 Legacy season of 2009.

SD would usually always wear white jerseys w/ the yellow pants at home, so these are rare photos from that time-frame, but man they looked good in those.

In the sun, those really glowed nicely.

After Spanos arrived they switched to white pants first, then they made the jersey numbers white, and then made total change with the darker blue that was seen during the Drew Brees and LT era.

dan-fouts_display_image.jpg?1273978278dan_fouts_1978_10_01.jpg

During the 1980 season the Bills played at San Diego in both the regular season and in the playoffs, the Chargers wore their white jerseys at home for both games.

glen_edwards_1981_01_03.jpg

Here we go, Modern Day LA Chargers jersey

2dtndqg.jpg

Oh yea!!! and I love the numbers being on the side of their helmets. They're the one team that really works for.

2009 was such fun with all those AFL-50 Legacy games.

What really surprised me was how San Diego's all-white away throwback uniforms looked so superb that afternoon at Arrowhead, in part i thought due to the black cleats. I don't usually like all-white uni's, especially without black cleats but these were just A+ .... Surprised I was because it was before my time when they wore all-white, as a kid they had these yellowish-gold pants for road games, and some seasons they wore 'em with the powder blue jerseys.

Spanos really is a lousy owner who doesn't care about his teams fan-base because their fans have been demanding a return to the 60s powder blues for 20 years and he just won't do it. I spoke to several of their fans at the Q. The current powder blue alternate is not as popular as the real throwback worn in 2009. When I went to the Bills at Chargers game down there in Dec 2011 we all noticed that the vast majority of their fans were wearing the powder blues, not the navy's. It wasn't even close.

Several were wearing this white throwback from 2009, and we saw some with the authentic version and I must say, they definitely have the best throwback jersey in the entire NFL (IMO)

When watching this game and seeing the old Texans logo on the Chiefs it reminded me of the days when I was a kid at the time of the merger, and the KC helmet logo was larger and looked so much better at that size. This was before they built Arrowhead and they used to have a mascot-girl on a horse dressed in Indian gear riding her horse 'Warpaint' along the back of the sidelines throughout their games and onto the field when KC would score a TD or FG. They brought the tradition back for the AFL-50 home games during that 2009 season and I found the photo below.

The Chargers were notorious in their AFL and early 70s years of painting their end-zones in this diamond-like pattern in powder blue and yellow.

Brandon+Flowers+football+player+San+Diegwarpaint-chiefs_200.jpg

During the pre-Spanos era of 'Air-Coryell' in the earlier part of the 80s the Chargers barely wore these bright blue jerseys, but these are my favorite set for them outside of the 60s power blues or what we saw for AFL-50 Legacy season of 2009.

SD would usually always wear white jerseys w/ the yellow pants at home, so these are rare photos from that time-frame, but man they looked good in those.

In the sun, those really glowed nicely.

After Spanos arrived they switched to white pants first, then they made the jersey numbers white, and then made total change with the darker blue that was seen during the Drew Brees and LT era.

dan-fouts_display_image.jpg?1273978278dan_fouts_1978_10_01.jpg

During the 1980 season the Bills played at San Diego in both the regular season and in the playoffs, the Chargers wore their white jerseys at home for both games.

glen_edwards_1981_01_03.jpg

That top jersey is the perfect blue. I'd love to see a concept with that color blue and volt bolts. Would need to have white pants though, or maybe even go monochrome.

I don't see an LA team going with powder blue and gold, since it's infringing on UCLA and might not be marketable to SC fans. I think they'd want to stay a little more neutral, even if the association is purely coincidental.

I'd be fine with the Rams staying with their colors if they would commit to only gold pants. I think they look great outdoors. I think it's just that with a move that major it's expected that there will be a full rebrand (not name change though) that includes a full uniform redesign.

I feel like a number of people want to see the Chargers and Rams return to the same Royal blue and yellow color scheme, and it would be a massive downgrade for each.

I think it would be a massive upgrade for both, especially the Rams. But I think the Chargers need to turn the clock back further and go back to the original light blue and yellow. Hell, the '90s set was great and would be much superior. Their current set is the worst they've ever looked by far.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived