Pronghorn Logo (UPDATE 10/2/15)

hettinger_rl

Good work. This looks quite realistic and recognisable, yet it is still relatively simple- a good balance for a logo.

My critique is this appears to have a single horn, but they have two. Getting that right would add some depth to the image (the current textured presentation makes it look flatter, too).

I could only think of two schools that use Pronghorns as a nickname or logo- the University of Lethbridge Pronghorns (Horns) and the Grand Canyon University Antelopes ('Lopes).

113211198.w88F0jGn.PronghornAntelopeonth505080372013.gif238026400.gif

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Good work. This looks quite realistic and recognisable, yet it is still relatively simple- a good balance for a logo.

My critique is this appears to have a single horn, but they have two. Getting that right would add some depth to the image (the current textured presentation makes it look flatter, too).

I could only think of two schools that use Pronghorns as a nickname or logo- the University of Lethbridge Pronghorns (Horns) and the Grand Canyon University Antelopes ('Lopes).

113211198.w88F0jGn.PronghornAntelopeonth505080372013.gif238026400.gif

Here it is with 2 horns. I'm not sure if it adds or detracts.

98tz4l.jpg

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

I love the Pronghorn as a mascot. There are a lot of underused animal mascots, IMO! Enough with the Eagles and Cougars :P

I think your design could probably use a little simplification, as it's currently feeling more like an illustration than a logo. Maybe add in some motion lines to give it a more sporty, logo feel?

It is a nice render, though.

Good stuff, hettinger!

I'm going to get a little nit-picky because I feel like this is so close to being great, but there is a few things that could be improved on.

Like suplauren mentioned, a lot of the contours and details in the logo could use some simplification. It looks like you are using more anchor points on the curves than you need which gives the line-work a bumpy look. The little details like the white fur on the neck and rear could use some simplification as well.

HERE is an example I whipped up tracing a small section of your logo of how you can use less anchor points to create smoother, more concise curves.

2043050vl19qK6.gif

IMO this is an underused mascot. They are extremely fast and agile. I think my concept conveys those qualities while still looking anatomically correct.

2qbrdom.jpg

hey i just joined this website. I ve been a huge fan and visit all the time. this was the first post i could comment on so this is big (lol)

But fr i love this logo, the idea of a different mascot other than a tiger or eagle is awesome, i would like to ask if you could make it a png file and more clear like a real logo

i was kinda wondering if i could put it on a hat with your OK it be awesome

but if i cant i understand (copyright lol) logo 10/10 ign beutiful

Good stuff, hettinger!

I'm going to get a little nit-picky because I feel like this is so close to being great, but there is a few things that could be improved on.

Like suplauren mentioned, a lot of the contours and details in the logo could use some simplification. It looks like you are using more anchor points on the curves than you need which gives the line-work a bumpy look. The little details like the white fur on the neck and rear could use some simplification as well.

HERE is an example I whipped up tracing a small section of your logo of how you can use less anchor points to create smoother, more concise curves.

Yeah that looks much better. Is that illustrator? I just make this stuff on the side so I haven't been able to invest in a nice program, I just use free online stuff.

IMO this is an underused mascot. They are extremely fast and agile. I think my concept conveys those qualities while still looking anatomically correct.

2qbrdom.jpg

hey i just joined this website. I ve been a huge fan and visit all the time. this was the first post i could comment on so this is big (lol)

But fr i love this logo, the idea of a different mascot other than a tiger or eagle is awesome, i would like to ask if you could make it a png file and more clear like a real logo

i was kinda wondering if i could put it on a hat with your OK it be awesome

but if i cant i understand (copyright lol) logo 10/10 ign beutiful

Thanks a lot. I'm not ready to let this one go like that just yet.

Out with the Bulldogs and Tigers, and In come the Pronghorns!

Exactly! Thanks.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

Good stuff, hettinger!

Yeah that looks much better. Is that illustrator? I just make this stuff on the side so I haven't been able to invest in a nice program, I just use free online stuff.

It is Illustrator, though any vector based software should use the the same type of anchor/bezier points.

Even though you only do it on the side, it can't hurt to push yourself to do more refined, professional looking work. Like I said earlier, this logo along with past logos I've seen of yours have all been very well designed compositionally, they just need to be taken a small step farther to be truly great, professional looking pieces. Keep up the good work!

2043050vl19qK6.gif

Damn, that's a great design. I think the single horn version looks cleaner.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I think the two-horned versions look better. Why are your designs always presented with a cloth texture?

BTW, your update is labelled 8/2/15, but October is the 10th month...

Use the rules of heraldry for more effective sports logos! i.e. keep it simple, use good contrast...

Not sure if it's because the head only looks, good with two, but today I really favor the two prong version.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

To be perfectly honest I liked the logo without two horns :P It just seemed a bit sleeker overall, and besides, logos are far from being realistic, unless that was what you were going for.

Anyways overall great design, would love to see a team use this.

iHxPa5Y.pngqXp6spn.png

"Winners never quit, and quitters never win." ~Vince Lombardi

Solid, great logo!

I like the SIDE VIEW (full body) Pronghorn more than the head-shoulders only version simply because a LOT of schools go for the "head-looking-back-over-its-hindquarters-into-the-wind-schtick, a LOT! :blink:

I think a majority of North American schools' logos lean towards the 'lions, tigers, bears, and eagles' predator as a preference. Next comes the 'beavers, buffalos, Antelopes, Steers' or anything with horns (even horned toads!).

Since you are on a roll here is a suggestion: try a HORNS only version. I hope you can find a team/school to use your work!

Archived