NFL/NBA/MLB "protecting their brand" re video game Create a Team

El Scorcho

I'm not sure if this is the right section, but my question is related to branding more than concept design really.

Why do the big video games these days make it difficult or impossible to create your own team.

Create-a-team was a staple of sports games up until about 2008. You could go in quite easily and create your own franchise from scratch, complete with uniforms, colours, players, whatever. I'm sure as fellow devotees of sports design, you guys all had as much fun with that as I did.

Now Madden doesn't have anything like that at all. Even worse, I bought NBA2K16 and it has what seems to be a pretty amazing create-a-team function, but it's hidden behind either their Ultimate Team card game online equivalent, or if you relocate your team in GM mode.

Similarly, the last baseball game I played, MLB The Show 13, had an incredibly deep creation suite which again, could only be used online.

Why?

Why does the staple function of create a team nolonger exist in the bigger sports videogames? When it does exist, why can't I just create a team and use that team in casual games? It's obviously been deliberately left out.

I've read on here previously that the leagues are super protective over their branding and as such don't allow this stuff, but how does a sports game create a team hurt the branding of the NFL or NBA?

Have there been developers in the past who have talked about why this happens? Have people got confirmation that it's a league directive or are we just speculating?

I'd love to play a few seasons with my created team in NBA2K16, but I don't really want to have to go through a season with Sacramento or whoever trying to raise enough money to be able to do it.

It really grinds my gears as a fan of both sports, sports games and sports design. I used to spend more time creating players and teams than actually playing the game.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the NBA 2k16 MyLeague mode you can actually relocate instantly. I created the Vancouver Grizzlies, it looks amazing. You can also just change uniforms there, if you want to keep your location and arena.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

I'd love to play a few seasons with my created team in NBA2K16, but I don't really want to have to go through a season with Sacramento or whoever trying to raise enough money to be able to do it.

You can do it in MyLeague and in that you can do whatever you want to the NBA how you see fit. You can control all 30 teams, and even just change the teams logos back to the old ones, change their arena, or just all out rebrand them. You can even do it in 2K Pro-Am and have a team of several friends play for your custom team online. I really love the customization stuff, it's really fun to come up with ideas.

ms2e55.png

ay0bch.png

bSLCtu2.png

Is that like teambuilder where you have to go and create everything online or is it already in the game somehow?

Yeah it's all in the game, and you can bring in custom images for logos and jerseys and courts if you want. It's awesome.

I just wish there was an option on the main menu to create-a-team, and I don't really understand why there isn't.

Both of those Grizzlies concepts are fantastic. I sure miss those colors.

I used to really like using team builder on NCAA, as importing your own custom logos really widened the possibilities and options (I liked to create the CFL, Utah High schools, or do NHL-to-football crossovers). The uniforms were just a little tough to work with though, as they only had a few fonts available and you couldn't create a custom template. For what it was, though, you could still have a lot of fun with it so long as you figured out your way around a few of the limits.

I've always been frustrated that Madden never adopted a team builder type mode, though. Even if it had similar limits to NCAA, it'd still be worlds better than their rather basic create-a-team mode they'd employed for a while.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

That was one of the advantages of NCAA using the online creation center. It allowed them to delete questionable items. For baseball teams, the only uniform that was unique was the home uniform. The aways were pretty much a version of the current Indians away jerseys.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I'm not willing to update to the newer MLB The Show until they get a stadium builder with custom outfield wall. That was one of my favorite things on the MVP College Baseball game.

I remember that in Earl Weaver Baseball. I would create some unique, bizarre stadiums. My Phoenix team played in a stadium called The Grand Canyou, where the outfield dimensions were normal except for the wall in center field which was the max allowed and highest allowed so it created a canyon in center field.

I was always under the impression that the uniform editor/create-a-team option was limited if not outright absent because the leagues and teams often feared that gamers would make something better than what they came up with. Think you can outdo our focus groups? Good luck doing that with 5 numeral fonts from other teams, 10 shoulder or sleeve stripe options, and not being able to use NFL-licensed logos!! Ahahahahaha!!! :P

I remember having Madden 2004 and was greatly disappointed with the uniform editor/create-a-team options. When you wanted to move a team you were pushed into renaming/re-branding them, as when you tried to to use an NFL team logo the option directly, wasn't there to use said logo.* Rams' horns, Eagles' wings, etc. were also not an option, so good luck moving the Rams back to LA and keeping the horns on the helmet!

Worse off, there was a uniform editor you could use without moving and you still couldn't use the logo there! That basically defeated the entire purpose of making a custom uniform. Why have that option if you can't even use the logo--or any other logo--for that matter?

*There was a way around that by using an in-file non-NFL team logo then swapping it out for an NFL team logo once done with the uniform editor without having to go back to the uniform editor. But even then, the logo was tiny and squished toward the front of the helmet.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

2K16's create-a-team is really in-depth. For me, it's more fun creating a team than actually playing the game. My first creation was a modified version of an OKC concept I did a while back. There are a couple things I rushed through and want to tweak but it's just really cool to see my own design in action. The design itself aside, you can see how detailed you can get with it.

okcthunder4.png
image.jpgimage_1.jpg

(Forgive the horrible quality of the grainy TV photo)

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

Archived