MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

9 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

Look, I get this. I do. But what I think most people fail to realize is that there is a $100 difference in jerseys with the name vs. without. Some people simply can't afford the extra $100 for the authentic, but they want a jersey. Want to complain about it? Complain to Majestic. But they won't stop putting the names on the replicas, I promise you that. Why? Because, then, to the average person who doesn't know about the stitched in pinstripes, the only difference is the batterman logo. So why would anyone buy an authentic? They wouldn't. 

It is possible to get a blank replica, and have it numbered with any number you like. You're still paying less than for an authentic jersey.

Of couse, this opens the possibility of using the wrong number font. But, fortunately, the Yankees' varsity font is a standard one; so it is easy to find.

And I suppose that it doesn't matter which font you use if you are putting number 7 or number 3 on a modern jersey, because neither Mantle nor Ruth wore that style, and neither ever wore varsity numbers on his home jersey. (In fact Ruth never even wore the NY insignia.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, DiePerske said:

I've saw replica jerseys at Laux in Buffalo with nnob. 

Only time you ever see that is when the stores order blanks and have them numbered themselves. I have a few of those laying around somewhere, a few I've had WS patches added to as well.

Somewhat related, it appears that the Yankees are still wearing the Yogi memorial this spring:

severino20s-1-web.jpg

Wonder if this is full season or just the spring? 

Anubis.png

The Brewers have "solved" the problem they made for themselves with the two golds. Rather than have two sets of white pants, one with metallic gold and the other with athletic gold, they've removed the trim entirely and now wear plain white pants. Ugh.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

29 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

The Brewers have "solved" the problem they made for themselves with the two golds. Rather than have two sets of white pants, one with metallic gold and the other with athletic gold, they've removed the trim entirely and now wear plain white pants. Ugh.

What a mess.  There is a small number of teams that can get away with plain pants, and the Brewers are not one of them.

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

What an awful organization.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

4 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

Only time you ever see that is when the stores order blanks and have them numbered themselves. I have a few of those laying around somewhere, a few I've had WS patches added to as well.

Somewhat related, it appears that the Yankees are still wearing the Yogi memorial this spring:

severino20s-1-web.jpg

Wonder if this is full season or just the spring? 

They'll probably wear the patch the whole season.  Since he died so late in the season last year, they'll probably want to honor him for more than just a couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, rxmc89 said:

They'll probably wear the patch the whole season.  Since [Yogi] died so late in the season last year, they'll probably want to honor him for more than just a couple of weeks.

Right. Thurman Munson died in August of 1979, and the Yankees wore the armband in honour of him for the rest of that season and during the 1980 season.

P.S. - Then Elston Howard died; so they kept the armband for the 1981 season.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 1/29/2016 at 0:38 PM, McCarthy said:

It's a feature and it's a bug. Majestic decided after 150 years of playing in the summer heat players needed some air vents. Feature.

Just saw this comment and had to add my own two cents...

I owned a game-worn Negro Leagues throwback jersey (Detroit Cubs) worn by the Lowell Spinners.

Here is a picture of the jersey: https://www.ebbets.com/product/Detroit-Cubs-1935-Road-Jersey/negro-leagues-flannels

The flannel jersey had ribbed gussets in the arm pits, and the gussets had riveted holes for venting. So Majestic is not the first manufacturer to add vent holes to a uniform jersey.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

5 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

The Brewers are definitely having an identity crisis, much like the Padres.  With the addition of their new horrible jersey, I just think they're trying to please the people who want to see the BiG used more and now to make it worse, they are taking the cheap way out with the pants.  In the Brewers case, I just don't think trying to mesh different eras that have different color pallets works at all.  I bet if you took a poll of Brewer fans, bringing back royal/varsity gold would win in a landslide. I pray there is an entire overhaul planned when they hopefully build back to respectability within a few years.

Somehow I missed this last year but the Tacoma Rainiers (Seattle Mariners' AAA affiliate) actually observed and listened to fans who wanted them to take on the historic Rainiers identity of the 50s-60s. Seems a majority of them were wearing the traditional red Rainiers' gear instead of the Marineresque navy/green in the stands and the team realized it was smart to simply embrace that old brand. Wish the Brewers and Padres would follow suit. http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20150306&content_id=111571990&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t529&sid=t529

Logo_Launch_Landing_Page_a3fi308e.jpg

1 hour ago, mjd77 said:

The Brewers are definitely having an identity crisis, much like the Padres.  With the addition of their new horrible jersey, I just think they're trying to please the people who want to see the BiG used more and now to make it worse, they are taking the cheap way out with the pants.  In the Brewers case, I just don't think trying to mesh different eras that have different color pallets works at all.  I bet if you took a poll of Brewer fans, bringing back royal/varsity gold would win in a landslide. I pray there is an entire overhaul planned when they hopefully build back to respectability within a few years.

It's killing me, because I have a lot of faith in the people putting the team together.  I believe we might see the on-field product get better and better, but in uniforms that are getting worse and worse. 

10 hours ago, jp1409 said:

MLB would certainly end up looking like beer league slo-pitch with black pants, monochrome uniforms... MLB was perfect and they now try to get as gimmicky as the other sports with panels, sublimation... Do we really want them to "innovate" with colored pants on top of that?

It's pretty depressing seeing the direction MLB is going in aesthetically. It was always a (admittedly minor) source of pride knowing that MLB was the most consistent and tasteful of the major sports, but they've taken a pretty big step onto the slippery slope the last couple years. First the coolbase era of mismatching grays, cheaper looking materials and huge discolored sweat stains. Then you have the proliferation of gimmicky alternate uniforms, patches on the hats and jerseys of all postseason teams because the world series wasn't special enough i guess. Now we've got entire chunks of uniforms missing, encroaching batterman patches and sublimated bp jerseys that you know are going to spread like wildfire. I hate sounding like the "get off my lawn" guy, and I realize doing things for sales/marketing is nothing new but...idk, still bugs me.

Heck, even the authentic collection stuff and postseason clubhouse shirts that I used to love have been total garbage the past 3-4 years with all the "we take october" "we want it more" etc. that just panders to all this YOLO, #hashtag, "I'm a special snowflake and everyone needs to acknowledge it" nonsense that has been smothering our lives in recent years. /rant

46 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It's killing me, because I have a lot of faith in the people putting the team together.  I believe we might see the on-field product get better and better, but in uniforms that are getting worse and worse. 

That's what I'm afraid of too.  At least for now, they don't seem committed to a full blown redesign of any kind, but I know they are well aware of the love for the BiG around here so that's probably how we ended up with the new alternate jersey and the half assed attempt to please everyone.  Take a trip to Miller Park and more often than not, I'd say it's easily 60/40 in favor of the older stuff.  I know I've stated it before on here, but my main gripe is the color scheme itself.  I've hated the navy/metallic gold from day 1.  I'd probably like anything with a royal/yellow scheme better than what they have now. The Brewers definitely need to take the same route the Blue Jays and Astros took, creating a modern retro look.  It seems to have gone over very well in both of those cities.

I can't believe we're about to begin season number 17 of the Brewers wearing this crap. It's their longest-standing look by a mile and easily their worst. Fix. Your. :censored: .

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

8 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Called it!

On 1/31/2016 at 11:07 PM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I hate to say this, but you know it's true.  They're probably sadly going to do the same thing the Padres did: drop the stripes from everything.  That way, everything matches!

Yes!  I knew it!  I friggin' knew it!  I... I... why am I happy?  This is friggin' horrible.  And I'm still trying to recover from pinstripeless sides.

6 hours ago, rxmc89 said:

They'll probably wear the patch the whole season.  Since he died so late in the season last year, they'll probably want to honor him for more than just a couple of weeks.

It really did feel like it was too short for a memorial.  I'm glad to see it continuing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, mjd77 said:

That's what I'm afraid of too.  At least for now, they don't seem committed to a full blown redesign of any kind, but I know they are well aware of the love for the BiG around here so that's probably how we ended up with the new alternate jersey and the half assed attempt to please everyone.  Take a trip to Miller Park and more often than not, I'd say it's easily 60/40 in favor of the older stuff.  I know I've stated it before on here, but my main gripe is the color scheme itself.  I've hated the navy/metallic gold from day 1.  I'd probably like anything with a royal/yellow scheme better than what they have now. The Brewers definitely need to take the same route the Blue Jays and Astros took, creating a modern retro look.  It seems to have gone over very well in both of those cities.

I thought for sure that a Brewers rebrand to the royal blue-and-yellow within the next couple years was nearly inevitable, after how well-received the Jays and Astros rebrands were, but I'm just hoping now that they're not going to be too influenced by the Diamondbacks' zaniness, and keep any rebrand fairly traditional.

35 minutes ago, kroywen said:

I thought for sure that a Brewers rebrand to the royal blue-and-yellow within the next couple years was nearly inevitable, after how well-received the Jays and Astros rebrands were, but I'm just hoping now that they're not going to be too influenced by the Diamondbacks' zaniness, and keep any rebrand fairly traditional.

I think the Brewers have enough history that they would keep things pretty traditional for a re-brand, which is why a new modern retro look would make sense for them.  I couldn't see them doing anything gaudy like Arizona.  

Archived