MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

17 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That was a throwback of sorts to their 1950 jacket:

4635620935_931f4cc488_b.jpg

But yeah, their use of red is and ought to be sparing.  Though I do miss it on the barterman logos. 

When I was a kid, I had a Yankee long-sleeve raglan t-shirt with red sleeves and with the bat-and-hat logo on the front.  I cannot find an example of it, even on eBay.  But it essentally looked like this:

yankee-shirt.JPG

It had two-colour numbers on the back, red on blue.  (My shirt had no. 1 for Bobby Murcer.  While I liked Bobby Murcer, I really wanted no. 15 for Thurman Munson, who was my favourite player.  Unfortunately, the store was out of them on the day that my parents and I were there.  My brother got his first choice: a Met shirt with blue sleeves and no. 3 for Bud Harellson.)

Even then I thought that it was a bit odd that a Yankee shirt should be so dominated by red.  But I liked the occasional use of that colour.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That was a throwback of sorts to their 1950 jacket:

4635620935_931f4cc488_b.jpg

But yeah, their use of red is and ought to be sparing.  Though I do miss it on the barterman logos. 

I'd never seen that before. I didn't realize the Yankees had EVER used red on anything other than their bat logo.

14 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I'd never seen that before. I didn't realize the Yankees had EVER used red on anything other than their bat logo.

Their batterman logo was navy/white/red for years, before they switched to gray in 2008(?)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I think the main reason for the color shift is that the red goes better with royal and white, but when mixing it with the navy, you end up with merchandise the same scheme as the Red Sox.  It's a shame, though.  Although the Navy with white text and primary logo does look really good.

Are they planning on wearing those throwbacks against the Pirates' Family unis?  I didn't know they ever wore pillboxes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

17 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I think the main reason for the color shift is that the red goes better with royal and white, but when mixing it with the navy, you end up with merchandise the same scheme as the Red Sox.  It's a shame, though.  Although the Navy with white text and primary logo does look really good.

Are they planning on wearing those throwbacks against the Pirates' Family unis?  I didn't know they ever wore pillboxes.

It's difficult to know for sure, but the Phils may have been one of the NL teams which wore the pillboxes for only a few games in 1976. After the Pirates, St. Louis was the club which wore the pillboxes the second most times. In fact, the Cards even had stripes on their batting helmets, something the Pirates didn't attempt. It's my understanding teams like the Giants, Astros, Dodgers, and Padres had the pillbox hat option, but weren't interested. 

Dressed To The Nines claims that the Phillies were one of the teams that wore them in the 1976 season, however I have been unable to find any images showing the caps being worn in any games.  I also searched for 1977 Topps cards which should show images captured in 1976, and was unsuccessful that way too.

I don't doubt Dtt9s, but unless I see photographic evidence, I can't believe that they were worn more than once or twice.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/30/2016 at 0:12 PM, Thomas said:

Will New York be wearing a navy blue jersey this season ?

productImages%2f_2384000%2fff_2384021_fu

Never. Yankees will never wear any different jersey other than Pinstripe and Gray.

XM4KeeA.png

Mets are 0-2 in 1986 uniforms. I think they're bad luck.

Also, the hat they wear is different from their normal hats. It has the BLUE button top as oppose to the ORANGE button top and underneath the Bill is WHITE instead of BLACK for some reason. If they wanted to be just like the 80's, it'd be GREEN. (I think it was still green in the 80's) From what I've seen in the Team Store, maybe I didn't look hard enough, they don't sell that hat at all. 

XM4KeeA.png

1 hour ago, insert name said:

Never. Yankees will never wear any different jersey other than Pinstripe and Gray.

Yeah.  The mandate from above that says they must wear the BP caps every season makes this more and more a possibility every day.  We shall see...

1 hour ago, insert name said:

Also, the hat they wear is different from their normal hats. It has the BLUE button top as oppose to the ORANGE button top and underneath the Bill is WHITE instead of BLACK for some reason. If they wanted to be just like the 80's, it'd be GREEN. (I think it was still green in the 80's) From what I've seen in the Team Store, maybe I didn't look hard enough, they don't sell that hat at all. 

I hope they don't shutter them forever because of this.  They've got enough wins that they could spare a loss or two.

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 hours ago, insert name said:

I guess this is gray, but it's still not their regular uniform.  Plus they've worn the BP caps in a game too.  It's just a matter of time.

yankees-throwbacks.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Yankees will wear Navy alts in an effort to "shake things up", due to their very slow start, but it won't help. They will continue to wear it over the next few years, but it will only serve as an attempt to distract fans from the team's poor performance. They will offer Bryce Harper a $600 million dollar deal, only for Harper to say "Nah, I'm good. This isn't the Yankees I grew up rooting for." He will re-sign with the Nats for a hometown discount.

On 5/1/2016 at 5:22 PM, insert name said:

The underbrims are actually gray, but you're correct that they should be green if they want to match the time period. Odd that they did something other than the standard black but not the correct color for a throwback.

Archived