MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a random side-note, while I was trying to find a good picture of my Mattingly shirt, I came across this:

productImages%2f_614000%2fff_614857_xl.j

It's being sold as a "vintage heater jersey", and they're available for each team.  I think this may be before my memories of baseball.  What the crap is a "heater jersey"?

NYYANKHEATER_Dimaggio.jpgff_614844_xl.jpg&w=450productImages%2f_614000%2fff_614836_xl.jproductImages%2f_614000%2fff_614855_xl.j51hsRuecqgL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 4/10/2016 at 0:34 PM, SFGiants58 said:

In another shameless self-plug, I redid a mockup I posted earlier on this thread to demonstrate an excellent way to freshen up the M's current look:

25668728321_666006dc1b_b.jpg

By brightening the teal to an almost-seafoam green (which is still teal, but leaps out more against the navy) and distributing it like the Orioles distribute orange (primary color of scripts, numbers, NOB, cap bill, and striping), you have something that both freshens up the look and keeps it tied to their current identity.

I just came across pics of some old Mariners jackets

il_570xN.936708635_679p.jpgil_570xN.984905277_rxif.jpg

Most people will just say brighten up the teal, or use more of it, but I think they should also use a brighter shade of navy (like the Padres use). It will make a big difference:

san-diego-padres-players-highfive-after-

matt-kemp-of-the-san-diego-padres-hits-a

nelson-cruz-and-robinson-cano-of-the-sea

starting-pitcher-hisashi-iwakuma-of-the-

3 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

On a random side-note, while I was trying to find a good picture of my Mattingly shirt, I came across this:

It's being sold as a "vintage heater jersey", and they're available for each team.  I think this may be before my memories of baseball.  What the crap is a "heater jersey"?

Something you burn to keep warm at night

10 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

NYYANKHEATER_Dimaggio.jpgff_614844_xl.jpg&w=450productImages%2f_614000%2fff_614836_xl.jproductImages%2f_614000%2fff_614855_xl.j51hsRuecqgL._SX300_QL70_.jpg

Those look like awful off brand stuff you find in the clothes section of Meijer/Walmart.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

11 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Apart from the Yankee ones, these fashion jerseys look pretty good!   I want to praise the makers of them for making an effort to get the number fonts and the name styles right.

From the front, the Padres jersey looks the best.  But I wish we could see the numbers on it. I suspect that the hiding of these numbers is tantamount to an admission that they didn't duplicate that very identifiable number font very well.

The Twins and Phillies jerseys look pretty nice, from both the front and back.  I like a fashion jersey that captures something about the team's aesthetic; and these two jersey do that pretty well.

The Braves jersey is not ugly; but it inappropriately mixes two different eras of uniforms, combining the lowercase A worn through 1980 with the number/name style adopted in 1987.

The Yankee jerseys are a total loss.  But, even there, they made sure to use varsity numbers for Mattingly and not for DiMaggio.  

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I gotta say, as I went through looking for examples, they're not the... ugliest thing I've seen in my life.  It's just an incredibly bizarre look.  The extremely thick stripes halfway down the sleeve with a logo underneath just looks... WRONG.  I don't know if it's just conditioning over time and through history that has told me "This is incredibly wrong.  Everything about this is wrong."  It just looks disheveled, ugly, clashing, whatever word.  Basically, the word that just comes out of my brain's mouth is "wrong".  Also, the use of plack piping for everyone is odd, considering how many teams haven't used it, and like the sleeves they went with a thicker line than we usually see (or at least it looks that way to me).  The DiMaggio one is the worst for me, though, with a weird white wordmark outlined in red on a jersey that features neither of those colors.

They could all be serviceable fashion jerseys if it weren't for these things, even the ones that seem to be crossing eras to give a general representation of the team.

The fact that they used the term "vintage" made me think that this concept was a thing in the past, the name "heater" making me wonder if they were a precursor to the BP unis of today.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Padres have always looked kinda like ass.  The orange/brown/yellow is only held in such relative esteem because they've been just another generic team that wears navy+(color) for so long now.  They tried the "I wet the bed" road unis at some point, which failed, and kept trying to rebuild their brand as this nautical something-or-other-nobody-cares-you're-bad-at-this-so-just-stop-trying type deal.  Now they've arrived at this happy, dull middle ground that makes them as visually striking and unique as a tin mailbox.

There's no fault in keeping a clean identity, but the Padres have a unique name, and are a franchise that could totally stand to be off the cuff with their look.  They could really stand to try going with their primary color being a sandstone, or virtually any shade of tan/brown that is bright, vivid, & representative of the shore and the Padre's robes.  Accent colors of a rich yellow & a bright blue would go a long way in making them look very striking & appropriately reflecting the city & coast.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

21 hours ago, insert name said:

Personally I think this was their best look. I honestly don't get the hype over Brown and Yellow. It makes them look like UPS drivers.

mlb_g_kbrownts_576.jpg

Screen+Shot+2013-06-19+at+11.03.20+AM.pn

tonyhrinworldsereis1.jpg

Agree.

This is definitely my favorite Padres look. I get why people want to go to brown but I just think brown is an ugly color and didn't really like anything in their brown history anyway.

15 hours ago, daveindc said:

I just came across pics of some old Mariners jackets

il_570xN.936708635_679p.jpgil_570xN.984905277_rxif.jpg

Most people will just say brighten up the teal, or use more of it, but I think they should also use a brighter shade of navy (like the Padres use). It will make a big difference:

san-diego-padres-players-highfive-after-

matt-kemp-of-the-san-diego-padres-hits-a

nelson-cruz-and-robinson-cano-of-the-sea

starting-pitcher-hisashi-iwakuma-of-the-

I dunno, I kinda like the darker navy for Seattle because (when against the navy) the teal really pops. I think it would lose some of that if the navy were a little brighter. Plus, the darker navy really fits the whole overcast-rainy feel of Seattle (which I love). I think if anything, I'd re-swap the word mark outlines so teal was always against navy, and then thicken the teal a couple notches.

P.S: That Iwakuma no-hitter was super exciting to attend in person. That picture brings back some good memories :)

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

3 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I dunno, I kinda like the darker navy for Seattle because (when against the navy) the teal really pops. I think it would lose some of that if the navy were a little brighter. Plus, the darker navy really fits the whole overcast-rainy feel of Seattle (which I love). I think if anything, I'd re-swap the word mark outlines so teal was always against navy, and then thicken the teal a couple notches.

P.S: That Iwakuma no-hitter was super exciting to attend in person. That picture brings back some good memories :)

The teal will pop when they actually use more of it. Also, I don't think the darker navy is needed to fit an "overcast-rainy feel". The lighter navy would fit that description better actually, if that's how you want to look at it. The darker navy is kind of pointless, imo. Dark navy looks sharp on the Yankees and Tigers, but it's really unnecessary for the Mariners.

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Amen.  I hate their new outline pattern; such a small difference yet what a spectacular downgrade.

19 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Amen.  I hate their new outline pattern; such a small difference yet what a spectacular downgrade.

As a Mariners fan, I completely disagree. The teal was hardly noticeable when it bordered the navy wordmarks. Now, it is much more apparent on both the home and road sets. For me atleast it was a spectacular upgrade.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

34 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

As a Mariners fan, I completely disagree. The teal was hardly noticeable when it bordered the navy wordmarks. Now, it is much more apparent on both the home and road sets. For me atleast it was a spectacular upgrade.

Funny thing is, I feel the exact opposite: to me, the teal and silver compete way too much with each other now. When I saw a jersey up close at the team store in Safeco, it bugged by eyes out bad (like both colors were screaming "LOOK AT MEEEE!!!") whereas the teal against the navy looked both more noticeable and more natural because it didn't have to compete with anything. That's just me though. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I think it may be a case of looking different up close than far away.. The previous set allowed the colors to blend a bit from a distance, where the new version separates the colors better, but the previous set allowed the colors to compliment each other from and distance close enough to see things clearly, while the new version creates a cluttered look with competing colors and too much contrast from up close.. Just a little semi-theory

On May 5, 2016 at 2:56 AM, rxmc89 said:

IMG_4223.jpg

sandiegopadresrandyjones1976homehjerseyH

ecfa916bc6f0eb48551a08fe20097d48.jpg

f9464a5232597b5ba6da6d77ebb7820d.gif

padres-camo-5.png

These have all been solid IMO.

Perhaps I overstated my case a bit.  I do dig that original jersey, but most of the Padres wordmarks don't appeal to me.  I think the SD looks the best.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Archived