MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

16 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Thank God the "play ball" weekend is over, that patch on the jerseys looked eerily similar to the new NBA jersey ads

That might be the point.  Conditioning.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Thank God the "play ball" weekend is over, that patch on the jerseys looked eerily similar to the new NBA jersey ads

And they looked really out of place on most uniforms. Not a good harbinger for how ads on jerseys would look.

I loathe the mere notion of ads on MLB jerseys, but if it has to happen (and I'm guessing it will within the next 10 years or so), I'd really prefer a sleeve patch, as opposed to an even more intrusive patch on the front of the uniform. Bad as this is, it's better than front patch:

alex-rodriguez-of-new-york-yankees-speak

8 minutes ago, kroywen said:

And they looked really out of place on most uniforms. Not a good harbinger for how ads on jerseys would look.

I loathe the mere notion of ads on MLB jerseys, but if it has to happen (and I'm guessing it will within the next 10 years or so), I'd really prefer a sleeve patch, as opposed to an even more intrusive patch on the front of the uniform. Bad as this is, it's better than front patch:

alex-rodriguez-of-new-york-yankees-speak

I would agree with this. Especially if we can keep the sleeve patches small like the majestic logo. The play ball patch would have looked much nicer on the sleeves. Exception would have been the Giants with their memorial patches.

What's the story regarding the Yankees and the Ricoh patch?

The play ball initiative is a test balloon for future ads, as well as a desperate attempt to bring baseball back to Americas youth which unfortunately just doesn't have the attention span anymore to really appreciate the game. While the patch was intrusive and ugly...it was supposed to be. MLB is going to push the hell out of this thing as it sees the declining number of youths participating.

5 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

The play ball initiative is a test balloon for future ads, as well as a desperate attempt to bring baseball back to Americas youth which unfortunately just doesn't have the attention span anymore to really appreciate the game. While the patch was intrusive and ugly...it was supposed to be. MLB is going to push the hell out of this thing as it sees the declining number of youths participating.

A test balloon for future ads? What? It was just a promotion done by MLB. I suppose you think the NFL's Play60 stuff is a test for ads too right? It's not like the NBA All-Star game uniforms that had the KIA logo on it. This was just a one day thing and it didn't even bother me. Patches have gone in that general area for many years and I know the NBA has started an air of paranoia for sports fans but I don't think we should be getting carried away with this stuff.

bSLCtu2.png

14 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Yeah, but that's true about literally everything.  When I was a kid, the animated shows and even some of the live action I grew up with were dark, deep, and surreal.  Then when groups began complaining about our need to shelter children, children's programming turned into brainless bright colors and noises that were designed just to keep children's attention.  But nowadays I see people who think those shows were the best thing ever because it's how they saw things when they were children.

SpongeBob SquarePants BB&S!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

16 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Yeah, but that's true about literally everything.  When I was a kid, the animated shows and even some of the live action I grew up with were dark, deep, and surreal.  Then when groups began complaining about our need to shelter children, children's programming turned into brainless bright colors and noises that were designed just to keep children's attention.  But nowadays I see people who think those shows were the best thing ever because it's how they saw things when they were children.

Kids programming is usually stupid. As kids we didn't know better and it's basically programmed for what we were at that exact time.

I also want to use this moment to say that All That sucks.

bSLCtu2.png

13 hours ago, Thomas said:

Yeah I noticed this too especially with all the TEX-TOR brawl coverage. I keep seeing StubHub on Bautista's chest every time I see the pic of the punch.

9 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

It was from the 2004 Opening Series between NY & Tampa Bay.  It was played in Tokyo, hence the advert patch.  Rays wore the same patch.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

7 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Kids programming is usually stupid. As kids we didn't know better and it's basically programmed for what we were at that exact time.

You originally wrote that kids' programming is always crappy.  I am glad that you changed it.

The kids' shows that I watched in the early 1970s, Sesame Street and The Electric Company, were of high quality, as re-viewings during adulthood have confirmed.  (Though I admit that I am baffled by the reverence in which Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood is held.  I honestly don't remember a time when I didn't consider that show insipid and annoying.  Even as a five-year-old I scoffed at that pap!  Mr. Rogers was as lame as Barney would be later on.)

Those who were kids in the early 1990s had the privilege of experiencing during their formative years the brilliant Animaniacs and The Ren and Stimpy Show, the only cartoons that can sit alongside the classic Looney Tunes shorts, which themselves have been delighting many generations of kids since the 1940s.  All of these are superior works of television art which will last forever.  

Not far off of this level are the quasi-surreal Pink Panther cartoons, which were done in the 1960s and 1970s by Warner Brothers refugees after that studio closed its cartoon wing, and the playfully self-aware Underdog and The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show which are even better when you watch them as an adult (preferably aided by cooking a bowl, especially in the case of Rocky and Bullwinkle).

Also, even some of the crappier cartoons have legitimate kitch value, and are charming.  The limited animation style of cartoons featuring Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound, Top Cat, and Quick-Draw McGraw leaves those shorts without the visual subtlety that characterised AnimaniacsRen and Stimpy and the Looney Tunes cartoons.  But the voice acting was superb, and the gags were frequently well-written.  (Likewise for The Flintstones, which, as a prime-time show, was not officially children's programming.)

But then there is the stuff in which it is difficult to find any artistic merit whatsoever, and which was watchable only because, as you suggested, we were told as kids to watch it.  Examples from my childhood include Peter Potamus cartoons, Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse, and the egregious Hong Kong Phooey.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

6 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yeah I noticed this too especially with all the TEX-TOR brawl coverage. I keep seeing StubHub on Bautista's chest every time I see the pic of the punch.

:lol::)

Perhaps the video or photos from that fight could be used in a anti-ad campaign: " Is that an ad i see on your jersey ? 

batman-robin-action.gif

4 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Those who were kids in the early 1990s had the privilege of experiencing during their formative years the brilliant Animaniacs and The Ren and Stimpy Show, the only cartoons that can sit alongside the classic Looney Tunes shorts, which themselves have been delighting many generations of kids since the 1940s.  All of these are superior works of television art which will last forever.

Preach! That's exactly how it was. When our cable system finally got Cartoon Network in 1996, I became a yuuuuuuge animation junkie. I wrote my 5th grade research paper on the history of animation and got an A+++. That's right, three of 'em.

Cartoon Network was a great place for the budding cartoon aficionado, because you had Toon Heads (experimental/conceptual stuff I think?), Oh Canada (old NFB stuff), and the Tex Avery Show, not to mention the blocks of good old Looney Tunes. Unfortunately, they grew old with their audience, and now the whole channel is just stuff to get high to.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Preach! That's exactly how it was. When our cable system finally got Cartoon Network in 1996, I became a yuuuuuuge animation junkie. I wrote my 5th grade research paper on the history of animation and got an A+++. That's right, three of 'em.

Cartoon Network was a great place for the budding cartoon aficionado, because you had Toon Heads (experimental/conceptual stuff I think?), Oh Canada (old NFB stuff), and the Tex Avery Show, not to mention the blocks of good old Looney Tunes. Unfortunately, they grew old with their audience, and now the whole channel is just stuff to get high to.

Cartoon Network has a new Peanuts show that is excellent.  It is being shown weekdays at 10am (30 minutes) and at 11:30am on Boomerang (15 minutes).

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, daveindc said:

Who doesn't like color jerseys? This is just gorgeous:

CiobTN7WwAEq43D.jpg

My problem was during the brawl, many Rangers players, coaches were wearing their jackets and pullovers which were blue. So the only way I could tell who was on whose team during this brawl was by the cap. Other than that, very confusing. 

Go A's!

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Youre much younger than I thought. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

49 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Youre much younger than I thought. 

Agreed.  If he was in 5th grade some time after 1996, I feel reeeaalllllyyy old.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Too many posts on cartoons to quote them all, so I'll just weigh in.  I actually don't hate Spongebob, although I haven't watched an episode in probably ten years.  I enjoyed what I saw back then, though.

Sketch comedy is subjective, and kids' sketch comedy isn't going to hold up to adults as well.  However, I think we can all agree All That was much better than the Amanda Show, which was MUCH more hit and miss, even to me when I was younger.

I feel bad saying this, but Admiral might be a few years older than me.  September 11th happened during my Freshman Year, so I guess that puts me in fifth grade in... 1997?  I remember moving to our current home and having a new channel called Cartoon Network.  While I was always a Nickelodeon fanatic, when Nick started trying to sell itself as trendy and current, I lost interest and focused on the timeless Hannah Barbara of CN, eventually getting caught up in the Cartoon Cartoons and one of the most influential things on my youth, Toonami.

But one cannot argue that the deep, emotional, and sometimes melancholy Hey Arnold, the adult satire of Rocko's Modern Life, and the dark surrealism of Ren and Stimpy were more mature and deep than what came after.  Of course, we're in a bit of a new generation time now as people my age are making shows similar to those (albeit wrapping it up in a fluffy picture so it's easier to get out there).  In that respect, I disagree with the idea of CN being just for stoners nowadays... although no doubt they enjoy a lot of the dada/surrealism on Adult Swim.

20 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

Sir, I just want you to know that you have the best name on the boards.

spacer.png

spacer.png

5 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

My problem was during the brawl, many Rangers players, coaches were wearing their jackets and pullovers which were blue. So the only way I could tell who was on whose team during this brawl was by the cap. Other than that, very confusing. 

And this is the number one reason we should distinguish jersey and cap colors?

Archived