MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

On a non-cartoon note, I was doing some research for a hopeful future revival of an old project I never completed on these boards and really should.  While I was looking at the Angels' original identity, I took a close look at their inaugural uniform.

6911_los_angeles_angels-home-1961.png

Wow.  Did the Angels really just totally rip off the Red Sox for their original identity?  It feels like an odd move.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

My problem was during the brawl, many Rangers players, coaches were wearing their jackets and pullovers which were blue. So the only way I could tell who was on whose team during this brawl was by the cap. Other than that, very confusing. 

Only solution to your dilemma, they have to have a new rule in MLB: If you're gonna fight, change clothing first to match your teammates. 

Or just rip off your jersey and oli up, a good way to get wrestling fans into baseball !

:D

7 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I feel bad saying this, but Admiral might be a few years older than me.  September 11th happened during my Freshman Year, so I guess that puts me in fifth grade in... 1997?

1996-97 was 5th for me and 9/11 was sophomore year, but I was skipped ahead as a kid, so we're probably the same age plus-minus a few months. I'm also an INFJ, so we're basically the same person.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

14 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Agreed.  If he was in 5th grade some time after 1996, I feel reeeaalllllyyy old.

On second thought, I picture The Admiral as being around 25.  If he was in 5th Grade in 1996, that would make him around 30.

I think my initial reaction was off because I refuse to believe that 1996 was 20 years ago!  It feels like 10, tops.

. . . and I'm still really old.  I turned 29 in 1996.

Yes, I quoted myself.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

5 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

On a non-cartoon note, I was doing some research for a hopeful future revival of an old project I never completed on these boards and really should.  While I was looking at the Angels' original identity, I took a close look at their inaugural uniform.

6911_los_angeles_angels-home-1961.png

Wow.  Did the Angels really just totally rip off the Red Sox for their original identity?  It feels like an odd move.

That was not an uncommon baseball font at one point. The Yankees used it too, abeit not that late in the century.  

7229_418_29brut2_3.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, leopard88 said:

On second thought, I picture The Admiral as being around 25.  If he was in 5th Grade in 1996, that would make him around 30.

I think my initial reaction was off because I refuse to believe that 1996 was 20 years ago!  It feels like 10, tops.

Yes, I quoted myself.

And to make you feel better(or not, depending ) I was in preschool in 1996.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

That was not an uncommon baseball font at one point. The Yankees used it too, abeit not that late in the century.  

I think he is also referring to the font for the name on the front.  Add placket piping and red socks and lose the red bill on the cap and this is practically a Red Sox clone.

That said, the name font was also relatively common.  If memory serves me, the Mets use(d) the same font on their road jerseys.  I'm sure some other teams used it to, once upon a time.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

3 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

And to make you feel better(or not, depending ) I was in preschool in 1996.

Get off my lawn!!!

7 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I think he is also referring to the font for the name on the front.  Add placket piping and red socks and lose the red bill on the cap and this is practically a Red Sox clone.

That said, the name font was also relatively common.  If memory serves me, the Mets use(d) the same font on their road jerseys.  I'm sure some other teams used it to, once upon a time.

Braves had used it (or similar). It's also related (kinda, sorta, somewhat, a little - 3nd cousin?) to the spikey "western" fonts that teams like the Rangers use. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

"Tuscan" is what we call it, though nothing about it evokes Tuscany to me. 

The White Sox used it in the '70s on the collared untucked shirts, which itself was a throwback to early-20th-century Sox uniforms. Dtt9s says the Indians used it in the '20s and '30s.

I wonder about the origins of these old lettering styles. The other one is the "fancy block" the New York Giants and Pittsburgh Pirates used.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

Yes, I quoted myself.

Ahem. 31 in 1996.

It's where I sit.

16 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Ahem. 31 in 1996.

Phew!  I feel much more spry now.

19 hours ago, daveindc said:

Who doesn't like color jerseys? This is just gorgeous:

CiobTN7WwAEq43D.jpg

Yeah when I first saw the video that was the first thing I thought... what a gorgeous looking brawl. The red team vs the blue team. So pretty even if they are just alternates.

17 hours ago, phutmasterflex said:

My problem was during the brawl, many Rangers players, coaches were wearing their jackets and pullovers which were blue. So the only way I could tell who was on whose team during this brawl was by the cap. Other than that, very confusing. 

This is true... imagine if any of us were at that game, we'd probably jump on the field and start yelling at the Rangers coaches and bench players: "WAIT! STOP! TAKE OFF THE PULLOVERS AND JACKETS! PLEASE! FIGHT ALL YOU WANT BUT PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF UNIFORM ASTHETICS TAKE OFF THE BLUE JACKETS!!!!"

4 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This is true... imagine if any of us were at that game, we'd probably jump on the field and start yelling at the Rangers coaches and bench players: "WAIT! STOP! TAKE OFF THE PULLOVERS AND JACKETS! PLEASE! FIGHT ALL YOU WANT BUT PLEASE FOR THE SAKE OF UNIFORM ASTHETICS TAKE OFF THE BLUE JACKETS!!!!"

The point I was making was more on the Rangers. I think if they were going to go all red for that day, maybe their dugout jackets should also be red. 

Go A's!

12 minutes ago, phutmasterflex said:

The point I was making was more on the Rangers. I think if they were going to go all red for that day, maybe their dugout jackets should also be red. 

You're right.............. on a sidenote, strangely enough the dugout jackets have not been changed yet, they used to come out with new jackets every other year, this time they have lasted 3 years, someone correct me if i am wrong.

Well, my comments on the Angels taking the Red Sox identity isn't that they use similar texts, but they used the exact same font, color, and outline for their wordmark across the chest and number, along with the same crown and insignia color.  Those elements have been in use in various places, but not all at the exact same time.  Compared to what the Red Sox were wearing at the same time, the only real difference in the jersey is the piping.

2556_boston_red_sox-home-1954.png

The Rays and Rockies get a lot of guff for ripping off other people's looks, but they're nowhere near as close as this.

spacer.png

spacer.png

18 hours ago, leopard88 said:

Yes, I quoted myself.

1996 feels like a long long time ago. I'm 25 so of course I would feel that way. I don't remember much of anything when I was 6, except playing Madden '97 on Playstation. That was great.

bSLCtu2.png

14 hours ago, Thomas said:

You're right.............. on a sidenote, strangely enough the dugout jackets have not been changed yet, they used to come out with new jackets every other year, this time they have lasted 3 years, someone correct me if i am wrong.

You are wrong.  They change every 3 years.

Archived