MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/28/2016 at 9:23 PM, Packid said:

The Yankees are now wearing matte helmets.

Reading MLB.com's story about this, I feel like they are leaving a couple of alts out... like Mother's Day this year for sure.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/180739906/yankees-wearing-new-matte-helmets-on-road

"Given the team's reverence for history, they have worn alternate uniforms just twice. On April 8, 1996, the Yankees wore replicas honoring the Negro National League's Black Yankees, and on April 20, 2012, for Fenway Park's 100th anniversary, they wore polyester reproductions of their 1912 ensemble. However, there has been some experimentation in head gear over the past few seasons, which opened the door to look at options with batting helmets. On three occasions, the Yankees have worn their New Era batting-practice caps in regular-season games (Aug. 9, 2013, and May 12 and 14, 2014)."

11 hours ago, CubsFanBudMan said:

Reading MLB.com's story about this, I feel like they are leaving a couple of alts out... like Mother's Day this year for sure.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/180739906/yankees-wearing-new-matte-helmets-on-road

"Given the team's reverence for history, they have worn alternate uniforms just twice. On April 8, 1996, the Yankees wore replicas honoring the Negro National League's Black Yankees, and on April 20, 2012, for Fenway Park's 100th anniversary, they wore polyester reproductions of their 1912 ensemble. However, there has been some experimentation in head gear over the past few seasons, which opened the door to look at options with batting helmets. On three occasions, the Yankees have worn their New Era batting-practice caps in regular-season games (Aug. 9, 2013, and May 12 and 14, 2014)."

I don't know that I would call Mother's Day an alt but more of a special event uniform - the fact that it is a league-wide thing makes it less of an "alternate" for me. Alternate implies that it could be used multiple times.

4 hours ago, rsaline said:

I don't know that I would call Mother's Day an alt but more of a special event uniform - the fact that it is a league-wide thing makes it less of an "alternate" for me. Alternate implies that it could be used multiple times.

Except the examples cited in the story were also one-offs.

Didn't get to see other games, but Freddy Galvis is wearing black (I think?) high socks, not the typical socks, with the Phillies uniform. Did other players do that today?

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

1 hour ago, Gehrig27 said:

Yankees jerseys have the majestic logo under Yogi's "8" patch. Must not have been worth removing for a league-wide alt this year.

Curiously, the jerseys also don't have the usual blue-white-blue stripes on the cuffs. There appears to simply be a small blue stripe at the cuff.

While I hate the camo-washing, removing the cuff stripes from the road uniform was an upgrade - I think it showed that the road uniform would actually look better if that update were made.

On 5/28/2016 at 6:40 PM, Anubis2051 said:

I should think Tomorrowland when I see the Astros, not Frontierland. 

This is brilliant. This is absolutely gonna change my entire experience the next time I visit Magic Kingdom. I'm not even an Astros fan but I might get some Astros gear and wear it that day.

On 29/05/2016 at 1:51 PM, Packid said:

I wish the Jays would wear this hat with the white jerseys.

Agreed!!  

I don't understand why they have now twice worn them with the blue alts.  They have never before in the team's history used that combination.  The blue jerseys were never worn during a game until 1994, a half season AFTER the white panel caps were retired midway through 1993.

These need to be the permanent home game cap.  I know they stopped wearing them because they got off to a bad start in 1993, but they haven't even made the post season  since they were retired.  Last year, they brought them back for one game, and BOOM, back in the post season.  

(They did wear an homage to the originals during throwback Thursdays in the 2000's, but that isn't the same thing.)

banners

18 hours ago, PhilliesPhan1325 said:

Didn't get to see other games, but Freddy Galvis is wearing black (I think?) high socks, not the typical socks, with the Phillies uniform. Did other players do that today?

Phillies were sort of a mess yesterday. They had like a camo pseudo-alt look going, instead of their normal home pinstripes. 

AR-305319844.jpg&q=80&MaxW=550&MaxH=400&

11 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This is brilliant. This is absolutely gonna change my entire experience the next time I visit Magic Kingdom. I'm not even an Astros fan but I might get some Astros gear and wear it that day.

Are you going to change clothes every time you go into a different land? Astros in Tomorrowland, Bengals in Adventureland, Saints in New Orleans Square, etc?

5 hours ago, DAKINS24 said:

Agreed!!  

I don't understand why they have now twice worn them with the blue alts.  They have never before in the team's history used that combination.  The blue jerseys were never worn during a game until 1994, a half season AFTER the white panel caps were retired midway through 1993.

These need to be the permanent home game cap.  I know they stopped wearing them because they got off to a bad start in 1993, but they haven't even made the post season  since they were retired.  Last year, they brought them back for one game, and BOOM, back in the post season.  

(They did wear an homage to the originals during throwback Thursdays in the 2000's, but that isn't the same thing.)

Maybe wear them occasionally with the home jerseys, but wearing them full time?  No thanks.  The all blue hats are better.

The Yankees' matted batting helmets almost looked black when they were playing the Rays in the Trop. I'm not sure if it's just the lighting, but it was not a pleasant sighting.

Looks like the Indians' cream alternates are on the way out. I liked this set when it originally debuted, but thought it was wrecked when they went to the all-red cap a couple years later. The midnight navy lid was a much better complement to the cream-colored jersey.

Archived