MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

Are there safety concerns with zippers?  It seems like I read that somewhere once upon a time.  Like how Kevin Plawecki ended up with an imprint of his necklace courtesy of Noah Syndergaard.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, perfesser said:

Are there safety concerns with zippers?  It seems like I read that somewhere once upon a time.  Like how Kevin Plawecki ended up with an imprint of his necklace courtesy of Noah Syndergaard.

yoenis-cespedes-of-the-new-york-mets-wea

:rolleyes:

simple solution there is to not wear a necklace.  No need for jewelry when playing sports.

The zipper thing could be due to the new super-light materials - maybe a zipper that has to be strong enough to hold during athletic movements would pull funny on the fabric?  

Either that or it's simply that their production line churns out two templates (raglan and set-in) each of which has the same button placket and it's cheaper to just use what they already have?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

i feel like majestic is trying too hard to "keep up with the jones's", by offering all these new materials and templates (trying to compete with Nike, UA, and Adidas as "athletic apparel" manufacterers).. i think they may be digging their own grave and might bring their own demise before long.. i think a large part of why the MLB has stuck with them for so long is their traditional approach and general dedication solely to the MLB.. the more new templates, _____-Base materials, gussets, vents, panels, diapers, etc. that they introduce, the more options teams will begin to want/demand, the more various processes they'll have to keep up with, and ultimately cause themselves headaches.. and as we all know, you can't Out-Nike Nike.. Nike has kept a fairly tight rein on the NFL, largely by only offering 1 template and only having to make the adjustments where necessary (and farming a few of the complex jobs out to Ripon).. Majestic arleady has teams like the Yankees who refuse to switch from their doubleknits, and yet Majestic keeps creating newer fabrics and templates - which are ALL further from traditional (not just in feel, but also aesthetics), which will create more and more tiers of opinions from various teams.. they seriously need to get control over the ability to produce EVERYTHING in each of their materials (like pinstripes on the diapers and side panels, and weaving pinstripes into the fabric, etc).. there wasn't a big problem with doubleknit, but if they insist on evolving the fabric, they need to find a way to maintain the traditional details that some of these teams will want to keep, or they're gonna risk getting in over their head and not being able to provide the way they should, or just become such a mess that the MLB is willing to get a fresh start with Nike or UA or something... i honestly don't think it's that far off, although i do love Majestic and hope they get their act together..

1. The Yankees switched this year to Flex Base.  Everyone wears it now.

2. They only have two templates for their button downs: the standard with sidepanels and the non-standard without sidepanels (only the Yankees use that).

3. They didn't introduce gussets, they brought them back.  Flannel jerseys had them.

I don't really think Majestic is trying too hard with anything.  The changes are the result of direct feedback from MLB players, and they've kept the oddities to a minimum.  Majestic's "innovation" is no where near as aggressive as Nike or UA.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

22 minutes ago, Bouj said:

1. The Yankees switched this year to Flex Base.  Everyone wears it now.

2. They only have two templates for their button downs: the standard with sidepanels and the non-standard without sidepanels (only the Yankees use that).

3. They didn't introduce gussets, they brought them back.  Flannel jerseys had them.

I don't really think Majestic is trying too hard with anything.  The changes are the result of direct feedback from MLB players, and they've kept the oddities to a minimum.  Majestic's "innovation" is no where near as aggressive as Nike or UA.

1. Which makes the entire CoolBase era unnecessary (plus if any teams preferred CoolBase and wanted to stick with it, and if there were still doubleknit holdovers, it would create 3 different groups)

2. 2 templates is 1 more than needed.. give everyone the non-side-panel version (or at least everyone who wears pinstripes)

3. Gussets were done away with for a reason, so introducing them to modern-era uniforms and materials is still introducing them.. they also matched the rest of the jersey when they were used on flannel, unlike now when they stick out on some (could be fixed if the materials could match, like including pinstripes)

their innovations may not be as aggressive as Nike or UA, but they dont seem to be for the better.. i have no real issue with side panels, gussets, diapers, etc. in theory.. it's just an extra seam and goes largely unnoticed IF the areas match the rest of the jersey.  the diaper area, the side panels, and previously, the gussets all differ from the body of the jersey when the jersey has pinstripes.. 

also, their BP and ST gear has become more and more innovative (just like NE's "diamond era" caps), and have basically become the guinea pigs for their new technologies - but that has bled over into actual game use and caused a blurring of the lines.. if that's going to be the case, then there needs to be an extra effort made to at least have the various panels match when sewn together.. it can't be that difficult.. i dont care if the pinstripes have to be printed onto the mesh, they should at least be there and line up.. this is what i mean by majestic potentially getting in over their head.. if you can't make it work, don't introduce it.

2 hours ago, insert name said:

Padres wearing their best uniform in franchise history.

CkcXZbvUgAAYC-g.jpg

COMPLETELY AGREE!  To me this is the Padres.  I realize I'm probably bit biased/nostalgic because this is what the Padres were wearing when I got into baseball as a kid.  It's also the same color scheme we had in Little League as the Padres too.  Love this look.  

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

I strongly believe there will never be a definitive answer to what the Padres *should* look like. Their strongest looks each have strong connections to different divisions of their fans and its really hard to ever pick which look or color scheme they should have. I think the only thing to do is for the team to pick ONE look and stick with it for 30 something years and commit to it without muddling it with a variety of color schemes mixed in. They need to just run with one look and that's it.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

I strongly believe there will never be a definitive answer to what the Padres *should* look like. Their strongest looks each have strong connections to different divisions of their fans and its really hard to ever pick which look or color scheme they should have. I think the only thing to do is for the team to pick ONE look and stick with it for 30 something years and commit to it without muddling it with a variety of color schemes mixed in. They need to just run with one look and that's it.

And this is the problem with having such a muddled identity fraught with years of repeated changes and inconsistency. In 47 years of existence, the Padres have worn the following color schemes:

• Brown and gold
  • Brown, gold, and orange
  • Brown and orange
  • Blue and orange
  • Blue and white
  • Blue and sand
  • Blue and gold

After 7 color schemes (including some that overlapped, like in the early 2000s), of course people are going to prefer different color schemes. Everybody has a different picture of what the "Padres" look like in their mind, regardless of what they're currently wearing.

The Padres are practically a one-stop "what not to do" guide in building an effective identity.

11 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Ugh.  That was the look they had when I first became aware of them, but it was bad then and it's bad now.  That awful unbalanced wordmark, the uninspired color scheme and pointless extra outlines. 

Best left in the past. 

I hate that wordmark. Unbalanced, an ugly font, and terribly dated.

While navy and orange is really a beautiful color scheme, the Astros are already wearing that exact color scheme, and the Mets aren't far off. And both of those teams pull it off better than the Padres did, what with that hideous wordmark. I'm not one to say that teams can't have similar color schemes, but the Padres can own brown and gold - not just in baseball, but across all four major pro sports. It'd be perfect.

(And I'm someone who was born long after the Pads dumped the brown/gold scheme, and who grew up with the above blue/orange look as well.)

15 minutes ago, kroywen said:

The Padres are practically a one-stop "what not to do" guide in building an effective identity.

And when they were at the peak of their exposure, in the 1984 World Series, on the national stage for the first time, they foolishly threw away that defining look immediately thereafter, bringing in new uniforms for 1985.

wiggins.jpg

(I will note again something that I have mentioned before about this picture: it's the wacky expansion Padres who look dignified, while the traditional Tigers look ridiculous in their highly inappropriate pullovers and waistbands.)

This is the one true correct Padres look.  If they had done the smart thing by scrapping the uniform changes that had already been planned for 1985, then this gorgeous look would still be with us.  It would have lasted untouched for at least another decade; and all subsequent looks would have consisted merely of tweeks.  This Padres' look, with the beautiful wordmark and the distinctive colours, would today be so firmly established that it would be considered as untouchable as the looks of the Cardinals or Cubs.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived