Bucfan56

MLB 2016 Changes

Recommended Posts

Figured this was as good a thread as any to post this, though not an uniform update. George Springer apparently had an Astros helmet custom made. Saw it in some raw video and made a screengrab. Just thought it was cool. 

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On June 9, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

 

 

I'm with you on hating that wordmark.

But I'd give the title of second-best set in Padre history to the team's first uniforms.

 

1970.jpg     546b6bdee8caa_347565b.jpgPreston-Gomez-1971TV.jpg

 

35521_01_lg.jpg   45256_01_lg.jpg

 

 

(It would appear that there was a version with the thin piping on the collar and sleeve and a version without it.)

 

I too dislike that wordmark.  While the brown and orange look fine together, I always thought this color scheme was too close to their division rivals, The SF Giants.  I love the '69 uniform.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2016 at 2:57 PM, WavePunter said:

I'm not arguing with any of that at all, but if the MLB (as an administrative entity) takes note and feels like we do, then it may not matter how the teams/players feel, and might jump ship to Nike.. Then it would be, as I suggested, Majestic digging their own grave with all this nonsense.. That was my only major point.

Gotcha.  I see your point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rays will be wearing throwback Orlando Rays caps during tonight's Pride Night to stand in solidarity with Orlando after last weekends events.  it will the hats seen below on Dennis Quaid in The Rookie.

 

Orlando was the team's affiliate in the Double-A Southern League from 1999-2003.

 

http://www.draysbay.com/2016/6/17/11963080/tampa-bay-to-wear-orlando-rays-hats-for-pride-night

 

Rookie-Dennis-Quaid_300.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So they dug those out of storage huh?

 

Actually, I kinda like that. It's a creative gesture, and I'm assuming they probably don't have retail versions, so it avoids that capitalizing on tragedy aspect of it. 

 

Also, these are SWEET caps. The Rays really should return to the gradient set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Bucfan56 said:

So they dug those out of storage huh?

 

Actually, I kinda like that. It's a creative gesture, and I'm assuming they probably don't have retail versions, so it avoids that capitalizing on tragedy aspect of it. 

 

Also, these are SWEET caps. The Rays really should return to the gradient set.

 

1. I actually would buy a retail one in a heartbeat if 100% of the funds raised went into helping the families of the victims. Perhaps setting up a charity fund of some sort. 

 

2. I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked the gradient uniforms. I know they're hated by many, but I love how unique they were. They certainly had more character than the current uniforms do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

So they dug those out of storage huh?

 

Actually, I kinda like that. It's a creative gesture, and I'm assuming they probably don't have retail versions, so it avoids that capitalizing on tragedy aspect of it. 

 

Also, these are SWEET caps. The Rays really should return to the gradient set.

 

Maybe not the gradient entirely, but black and green is a pretty unique combination in pro sports would make a finer look for the Rays than their now-tired double-blue set, really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird thing about those rays O caps, they have the MLB logo on the back instead of the MiLB logo. That's kinda strange. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure how a baseball team wearing an obscure baseball jersey constitutes "standing in solidarity" with anyone.  It shows that they at least acknowledge that something happened, which is nice, but it accomplishes nothing other than "look at us and how much we care" unless they're either donating lots of money to victims' families.  

 

As it stands, a good portion of their fan base likely supports policies that are against the victims either based on the victims' sexuality or through their objection towards any type of gun control. I could be (and hope I am) wrong about that though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I read on Big League Stew, 100 percent of the proceeds from the auction of those now-autographed hats goes to the "Pulse Victim Fund." They also sold $5 tickets for the game/cause, which led to a 40,000+ sellout and largest Tampa Bay crowd since Opening Day 2006.

 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/rays-wearing-orlando-hats-to-honor-pulse-shooting-victims-221201555.html

 

Heidi Watney on "Quick Pitch" on MLB Network just now said the Rays raised $300,000 so far and MLB added $100K. 

 

Sounds legit. Can't confirm.

 

Is this the first time the Rays have worn any form of gradient throwback since the rebrand?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

As it stands, a good portion of their fan base likely supports policies that are against the victims either based on the victims' sexuality or through their objection towards any type of gun control.

 

You just described every sports team in the United States.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'm not sure how a baseball team wearing an obscure baseball jersey constitutes "standing in solidarity" with anyone.  It shows that they at least acknowledge that something happened, which is nice, but it accomplishes nothing other than "look at us and how much we care" unless they're either donating lots of money to victims' families.  

 

As it stands, a good portion of their fan base likely supports policies that are against the victims either based on the victims' sexuality or through their objection towards any type of gun control. I could be (and hope I am) wrong about that though. 

I generally don't put much stock into these types of gestures, but it does seem that the Rays are donating proceeds to the victims and their families, and are helping galvanize some fundraising efforts amongst fans in attendance at this game, so I can't fault them either.

 

The bolded portion is precisely why I'm hoping some teams use this (and the coincidentally coinciding Pride Month) to emphasize solidarity with the LGBT community in the wake of this tragedy, and to show outreach and support to LGBT fans. Homophobia is unfortunately a bit more accepted in men's professional sports in America than across the rest of society (though some significant strides have been made), and perhaps if sports franchises and players outwardly show support for equality and acceptance of the gay community (including their own LGBT fans), it will help nudge the needle against homophobia in sports a little bit more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since camo and pink are worn during the NFL season maybe they could do a pride week where the teams can wear rainbow colored accessories. Since the NFL is seen as a macho league, I think if the NFL did a pride week, it would really go a long way to fight homophobia.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

Since the NFL is seen as a macho league, I think if the NFL did a pride week, it would really go a long way to fight homophobia.

Without a doubt.

 

You'd probably have an episode where a player with a big mouth complains about the accessories, using some sort of epithet though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

Without a doubt.

 

You'd probably have an episode where a player with a big mouth complains about the accessories, using some sort of epithet though.

Oh I'm sure you would. But for the NFL, it would be good for them to be on the right side of controversy for once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, rroy0824 said:

New socks for the Tigers.

ClMTEAmVEAA42UR.jpg

 


I would love for the Mets to rock socks in that style with their royal blue socks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.