MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

18 hours ago, Bucs007 said:

Braves GM John Coppolella did an AMA on Twitter earlier. Posed a question about new uniforms and didn't get a response. 

I am absolutely convinced the Braves are getting new uniforms next season. They ditched the tomahawk on their special event unis this season (Mother's/Father's Day, 4th of July) for no reason. Can't tell me it was easier for Majestic to skip it, because they were just about the only team to ditch a major part of their uni design for the speciality unis. Seems likely a change is coming. 

I wouldn't necessarily take the tomahawk being dropped from those specialty uniforms as a hint. Majestic appears to have dropped all Native American imagery from the specialty uniforms (the Indians' Wahoo sleeve patch being the other example). Which makes sense, given that a tomahawk decked out in stars-and-stripes would be, uh, 'incongruous' at best.

That said, a uniform change would not surprise me, especially if the Braves want to move away from any tomahawk imagery. I'm hoping the only change made is dropping the placket piping (which just creates clutter and muddles the wordmark), but little chance of that happening.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CubsFanBudMan said:

You mean this?indians-stars-and-stripes-cap-2008.14044

I'm guessing that was 2008 (I think?), when they first introduced the special 4th of July caps?

Yeah, not a good look. Either aesthetically, or (more importantly) in terms of the connotation. Best to stay away from Native imagery on these patriotic uniforms.

On 25/6/2016 at 0:37 AM, Bucs007 said:

Eh. There would be nothing to see if they didn't put up a building or two. You're 10+ miles from downtown with no clear line of sight to the skyline. 

Exactly, it would be great. You could focus on the ballpark and the playing field

13 hours ago, kroywen said:

I'm guessing that was 2008 (I think?), when they first introduced the special 4th of July caps?

Yeah, not a good look. Either aesthetically, or (more importantly) in terms of the connotation. Best to stay away from Native imagery on these patriotic uniforms.

Anyone see these hats for sale anywhere?

I thought I'd love the Pirates current throwback alts, but they look terrible. Mainly because the players wear them so baggy.  Last seasons looked much better. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

On 6/25/2016 at 0:56 PM, kroywen said:

I wouldn't necessarily take the tomahawk being dropped from those specialty uniforms as a hint. Majestic appears to have dropped all Native American imagery from the specialty uniforms (the Indians' Wahoo sleeve patch being the other example). Which makes sense, given that a tomahawk decked out in stars-and-stripes would be, uh, 'incongruous' at best.

That said, a uniform change would not surprise me, especially if the Braves want to move away from any tomahawk imagery. I'm hoping the only change made is dropping the placket piping (which just creates clutter and muddles the wordmark), but little chance of that happening.

Per a source that I trust, there are no plans to change the Braves' primary home and away looks next season for the move into the new stadium. 

It should be noted that the Braves' Stars and Stripes jersey last year was also sans-Tomahawk, so I wouldn't read too much into it: PHILLIES-BRAVES.jpg

The Memorial Day jersey in 2015 did have the tomahawk and looked awful, so they just ditched it for this year. 

As for the Mother's Day/Father's Day jerseys, the Mother's Day jersey was a recolor of their standard Sunday fauxback jersey, which does not have the tomahawk and has the single color piping. The Father's Day jersey was probably sans-tomahawk for consistency sake with the other three special event jerseys. 

The team has used the same "Atlanta" and "Braves" scripts since the 1970s, with and without the tomahawk at various times. 

4 hours ago, lahaye7 said:

I thought I'd love the Pirates current throwback alts, but they look terrible. Mainly because the players wear them so baggy.  Last seasons looked much better. 

Here's a few different looks:

Cl7NqTkWgAEEbph.jpg

Cl6zJjwWMAAXyO_.jpg

Cl6zVUbWIAARv3a.jpg

Talking about focus on the ballpark and the playing field, is there anything worse  than a walkway right behind home plate. They have it in Tampa and Chicago (Sox). Perhaps others as well ? People constantly walking behind the plate, makes for a terrible TV game. Non stop food being brought out to the fatasses in the crowd, why does that has to be the focus of the camera ? Such awful ballparks 

3 hours ago, lahaye7 said:

Not to mention the wrong hosiery

4c567378abfc1e2226b4bf2cb3f59011.jpg

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

9 hours ago, Thomas said:

Talking about focus on the ballpark and the playing field, is there anything worse  than a walkway right behind home plate. They have it in Tampa and Chicago (Sox). Perhaps others as well ? People constantly walking behind the plate, makes for a terrible TV game. Non stop food being brought out to the fatasses in the crowd, why does that has to be the focus of the camera ? Such awful ballparks 

I recently noticed the Rockies have this. There's a tunnel directly behind home plate, so the entire game people are walking in and out. It's so distracting.

On 26/06/2016 at 1:23 AM, Thomas said:

Exactly, it would be great. You could focus on the ballpark and the playing field

If that is all that you want to focus on, then stay home and enjoy the game from the comforts of your own home.

The whole package is what makes up the game experience, including the views outside the park, random gimmicks and the like. In addition to, of course, the game itself.

You can watch the game at home, but going is a whole event

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

54 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

If that is all that you want to focus on, then stay home and enjoy the game from the comforts of your own home.

The whole package is what makes up the game experience, including the views outside the park, random gimmicks and the like. In addition to, of course, the game itself.

You can watch the game at home, but going is a whole event

But nobody here is focusing on the backdrop of baseball areas, we are just talking about what looks best. And "nothing" is nicer to look at, than big ugly buildings and high rises

1 hour ago, Bmac said:

I recently noticed the Rockies have this. There's a tunnel directly behind home plate, so the entire game people are walking in and out. It's so distracting.

Rockies have it as well ? very disappointing.  Must also be annoying for the pitcher!

1 hour ago, jp1409 said:

The multiple socks trend needs to die. MLB must do something about this asap...

Agree, the socks look so out of place. 

11 hours ago, uuh70 said:

Not to mention the wrong hosiery

4c567378abfc1e2226b4bf2cb3f59011.jpg

what's so hard about getting these current players some of these gold stirrups? I love Clutch, but his socks look awful with these alts. 

Archived