Bucfan56

MLB 2016 Changes

4,883 posts in this topic

I'm holding out hope they just go back to these:

 

what.jpg

f90fcdbb7b0311d7398a1e55c3215a88.jpg

 

If they'd never adopted the pullovers, or even if in 93 they'd gone back to these after the pullovers they'd be untouchable on the level of the Dodgers or Cardinals.

 

What they wear now is fine, but they're getting dated and stale. The old-timey font feels a little too "1800's Baseball Theme Park" for my liking anymore. I think either an update to the uniforms picture above or a buttoned up version of the 1990 uniforms would be perfect. Also, they need to drop black as soon as possible. 

11 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2016 at 2:57 PM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Son of a whore.  I had quotes and things written from the past twenty pages as I caught up on this thread, and it all just deleted itself.  That's discouraging.  Still, we finally finished the deck we've been working on every day for the last month, so it's good to be back.

 

mtatmt.jpg

 

Just gonna say then that the Indians' block C is bland and red and navy blend too much to be readable.  The one good thing from the stupid outlines on the Spring Training caps is showing us how much better the logo looks with a white outline.

 

2016-Spring-Training-cap.jpg

 

Dark numbers/wordmark on gray look bland and should never be done again.  Everyone either has a light number on their homes or some accent.  The Yankees should never look back.

 

As for a view outside the ballpark, you need something.  For the person who listed a bunch of ballparks without anything, the only one that holds weight is Kansas City, which has a lot of uniqueness in the outfield to make up for it.

 

Dodger Stadium has the beautiful rolling hills that scream LA with the Think Blue sign in the outfield.

 

Dodger_Stadium.jpg

 

Fenway has the Citgo sign, skyline, and neighborhood around it.

 

20120413_MI_FenwayHighHome.jpg

 

The original Yankee Stadium had the Bronx Courthouse and other buildings outside that could be seen.  One of the things that pains me the most about the trip across the street was the loss of the courthouse, which was such an important part of the park's skyline.

 

yankee-stadium.jpg

 

And the new Stadium has a number of buildings outside, including an expanded glimpse of the 4-Train tracks.

 

yank10954.jpg

 

These buildings give it a sense of being an urban ballpark, the sense of being in the city, which fits New York.  I was afraid moving into the new park that the greatly increased size and the more open area around the scoreboards would create too open an atmosphere (I was never a fan of Shea's wide-open feel, but the taller scoreboard gave it a very cozy and intimate feeling.

 

It's the lack of these buildings that I feel is one of the few failings of Citi Field.  The chop shops you could see from Shea may have felt like a blight to some people, but from the distance of the ballpark, they just looked like buildings.  I kinda wish they'd done some of the revitalization that was planned, or built some buildings out there as part of the ballpark complex similar to some of the Oakland concepts.  With nothing out there, it looks like a ballpark from a cheap video game where they didn't want to include anything outside to save time.  They built the outer area up enough to block out the chop shops, but not up enough to keep from just having huge gaps of empty blue sky.

 

citifield.jpg

 

There is/was a plan to build/revitalize the area around Citi Field with bars, hotels a mall, etc however city politics and the chop shops  complaining has put everything on hold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nicest thing about the Braves' uniforms was no names on the back.  

 

braves_zpsjmeeuiii.jpg

That was a big plus even for the pullovers of the Cubs and the Red Sox.

Cn0_EqsUMAAzSBg.jpg   photo red sox_zpsncjhyajz.jpg


 Uniforms look so dignified that way.  (The question was discussed earlier in this thread, from pages 115 through 119.) 

 

The Angels' throwbacks unfortunately used names.  

 

angels_zpslkhcnq39.jpg

 

They should have opted to leave the names off, as that that style was worn both ways.
 

ecd83babf4b48100980394d3735a8f1a.jpg175640562-baseball-california-angels-lym
 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

I'm holding out hope they just go back to these:

 

what.jpg

f90fcdbb7b0311d7398a1e55c3215a88.jpg

 

If they'd never adopted the pullovers, or even if in 93 they'd gone back to these after the pullovers they'd be untouchable on the level of the Dodgers or Cardinals.

 

What they wear now is fine, but they're getting dated and stale. The old-timey font feels a little too "1800's Baseball Theme Park" for my liking anymore. I think either an update to the uniforms picture above or a buttoned up version of the 1990 uniforms would be perfect. Also, they need to drop black as soon as possible. 

 

What is especially frustrating with the Reds is that, aside from pullovers, their aesthetics were largely traditional. Namely, they mandated the low-cut stirrups, black cleats, and no mustaches/beards. Had they simply gone to button-front/belted doubleknits (i.e. the Dodgers and Mets), they'd probably still be wearing the same uniform. 

 

Out of all of the teams in the majors, I think only the Pirates can really pull off the vests as a primary look. Provided they were cut like this:

19035102559_452fc90be9_o.jpg

 

...with room for an NOB, they would have a slightly more distinct look. 

 

Also, this picture is a fantastic argument for the A's returning to kelly green. I love the forest green look they have now, but the kelly looks even better.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the Kelly Green looks so good on a summer's day.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VikWings said:

I'd add the "Diamondbacks" to the should list.

 

Ehh...  I don't know. The Diamondbacks wore them during their height, but just for three years.  Their sleeved version of that jersey also looks good.  It was an away and alt situation, with the home jersey having sleeves.  The two "should" teams wore them across the board, and admittedly I had some time finding the right word for those, because as has just been brought up about the Reds, they both have sleeved jerseys that are just as good/iconic as the vests.  I guess it's just that the Red and Pirates could go to vests and I'd feel like it should have been the case always.  The Diamondbacks could and I'd say "That WAS a good look, and should have it now.  Let's see if they stick with it and make it a bigger part of their history.

 

Hmm...  I wonder if anyone ever did a concept of the current (or at least last) color scheme on the classic sleeveless.  That would be interesting.

 

4 hours ago, YesterdayWasCool said:

Cn3dI3DVIAAAqgl.jpg

 

Mm...  I really wish the Rangers would move to their current cap insignia in red with a white outline around it like this logo.  That would look beautiful.

 

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Uniforms look so dignified that way.  (The question was discussed earlier in this thread, from pages 115 through 119.) 

 

Hah.  That was fun.  Also, it was the second time.  It originally came around somewhere in 60-80.

 

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

175640562-baseball-california-angels-lym


Is his last name "Boston"?  It's really weird to me, especially with the uniforms really looking like it could have been something the Sox wore during the 70's (minus the sleeve patch).  I just kinda looked at that photo confused for a moment.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised with teams like the Mets, Blue Jays and Rangers ditching BLACK, the Reds have yet to do so. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Is his last name "Boston"?  It's really weird to me, especially with the uniforms really looking like it could have been something the Sox wore during the 70's (minus the sleeve patch).  I just kinda looked at that photo confused for a moment.

 

Lyman Bostock.

 

He played for the Twins and Angels.  Sadly, he was shot and killed late in the 1978 season.

 

From Wiki --

Quote

 

Bostock was able to recover his hitting stroke, and as the 1978 season neared its conclusion, he had the highest batting average on the Angel ballclub. With a week remaining in the season, he went 2 for 4 with a walk in a Saturday afternoon game against the White Sox in Chicago, to raise his average to .296. Following the game, as he regularly did when in Chicago, Bostock visited his uncle, Thomas Turner, in nearby Gary, Indiana. After eating a meal with a group of relatives at Turner's home, Bostock and his uncle went to visit Joan Hawkins, a woman whom Bostock had tutored as a teenager, but had not seen for several years.[1] After the visit, Turner agreed to give Hawkins and her sister, Barbara Smith, a ride to their cousin's house. Turner drove the vehicle, with Hawkins seated in the front passenger's seat. Bostock and Smith rode in the vehicle's back seat.

Smith had been living with Hawkins while estranged from her husband, Leonard Smith. Unbeknownst to the group, Leonard Smith was outside Hawkins' home in his car and observed the group's departure in Turner's car. According to Smith, his wife was frequently unfaithful to him, and although he did not know Bostock, he would later say that upon seeing Bostock get into the back seat of the vehicle with his wife, he concluded that the two were having an affair. In fact, however, Bostock had only met the woman twenty minutes previously, when he and his uncle arrived at Hawkins' home.

As Turner's vehicle was stopped at a traffic signal at the intersection of 5th and Jackson streets, Smith's car pulled up alongside them. Smith leaned out of his vehicle and fired one bullet of a .410 caliber shotgun into the back seat of Turner's car, where Bostock and Barbara Smith were seated.[1] Leonard Smith said that his lethal wrath was intended for his estranged wife; however, Bostock was seated between Barbara Smith and the position from which Leonard Smith was firing. Instead of striking her, the bullet struck Bostock in the head.[1] He died two hours later at a Gary hospital.[1]

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With this special throwback day created on the spur of a moment, anyone think that a mandated throwback weekend should happen every year.

 

I suggest oen of two periods, maybe both...

 

- The Friday thru Sunday after All Star Game

- The Friday thru Sunday of Hall of Fame weekend

 

Even if it's a fauxback for the newer squads, something should be done.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

With this special throwback day created on the spur of a moment, anyone think that a mandated throwback weekend should happen every year.

 

I suggest oen of two periods, maybe both...

 

- The Friday thru Sunday after All Star Game

- The Friday thru Sunday of Hall of Fame weekend

 

Even if it's a fauxback for the newer squads, something should be done.

 

Do they still do rivalry hookups for the teams that technically don't have rivalries?  If so, those would be fun, mostly because I think those rivalries provide good matchups that are possible.  The Yankees would just have to put on some stirrups against the Mets' racing stripes.  The Braves and Sox can go back to the 20's.  The Rainbow Rays can go up against the Teal Marlins.  The Jays, Phils, Royals, Cardinals, Giants, and Athletics can all throwback to their World Series matchups.

 

No need for fauxbacks to go back to possible matchups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, insert name said:

I'm surprised with teams like the Mets, Blue Jays and Rangers ditching BLACK, the Reds have yet to do so. 

 

The Mets, Blue Jays and Rangers each have a two-color scheme plus white.  If they drop black, the  Reds would only have red and white.  

 

I'd think they could still sell plenty of black merchandise, but perhaps they don't agree. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

 

Mm...  I really wish the Rangers would move to their current cap insignia in red with a white outline around it like this logo.  That would look beautiful.

 

 

Like they used to?

 

texas-rangers-alternate-royal-blue-pinch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

 

Do they still do rivalry hookups for the teams that technically don't have rivalries?  If so, those would be fun, mostly because I think those rivalries provide good matchups that are possible.  The Yankees would just have to put on some stirrups against the Mets' racing stripes.  The Braves and Sox can go back to the 20's.  The Rainbow Rays can go up against the Teal Marlins.  The Jays, Phils, Royals, Cardinals, Giants, and Athletics can all throwback to their World Series matchups.

 

No need for fauxbacks to go back to possible matchups.

True, but then its the same matchups yearly.  Pick a weekend and you can merchandise and market for more $$$.

 

Id rather see throwbacks instead of pink and blue unis for cancer on Mothers/Fathers Day/

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jp1409 said:

 

Like they used to?

 

texas-rangers-alternate-royal-blue-pinch

 

Nah.  No drop shadow.  Full outline.

 

I'd done this a while back, but can't find it, so I had to whip another one up quickly.

 

291p1dk.jpg

 

39 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

True, but then its the same matchups yearly.  Pick a weekend and you can merchandise and market for more $$$.

 

Id rather see throwbacks instead of pink and blue unis for cancer on Mothers/Fathers Day/

 

Hmm...  That's true.  A couple years ago I'd started putting together a system of organizing hockey uniforms for the Winter Classic, avoiding fauxbacks by seperating the league's history into eras and having each team have a specific throwback for that era, with whatever two teams meeting going as far back as the youngest team goes.  The Rangers would go to the Original Six against the Habs, the 70's against the Canucks, and the 90's against the Ducks.  Putting a system of that in place in baseball would be nice.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's safe to say that this helmet experiment has failed.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I'm holding out hope they just go back to these:

 

what.jpg

f90fcdbb7b0311d7398a1e55c3215a88.jpg

 

If they'd never adopted the pullovers, or even if in 93 they'd gone back to these after the pullovers they'd be untouchable on the level of the Dodgers or Cardinals.

 

What they wear now is fine, but they're getting dated and stale. The old-timey font feels a little too "1800's Baseball Theme Park" for my liking anymore. I think either an update to the uniforms picture above or a buttoned up version of the 1990 uniforms would be perfect. Also, they need to drop black as soon as possible. 

This x1000. One of the most iconic, classic looks in all of baseball. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Red's current look is okay and honestly, I've come to tolerate the black (outside the excessive use of it on merchandise). Still though, I wouldn't mind going back to the Big Red Machine look at all.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

 

Nah.  No drop shadow.  Full outline.

 

I'd done this a while back, but can't find it, so I had to whip another one up quickly.

 

291p1dk.jpg

 

 

I like that.  It's what they should have done when they switched back to blue in 2000 (or 2001). 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

More Dodgers goodness.  These are from this week.

 

Cn6UYfAXgAAxLP2.jpgCn6UZXVWgAQTYo_.jpg

You know I kinda like it when that happens its battle damage like scratches on football helmets, shows the players are trying hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now