MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

23 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

I agree. Its just as ridiculous as the Cubs trying to block the MTA in New York from using this symbol for a new route debuting in a few weeks.

promo298953185.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&

I'm pretty sure they are only doing this because they are in the World Series, and if they weren't in the playoffs, they wouldn't have bothered.

The Cubs have put a lot into the whole W flag thing the last few years. It's a bit bananas that they're basically trying to claim ownership of a letter, but they'd be doing this no matter what.

What's fun about the C thing- not legally meaningful, but fun to have in mind is that this circular C they're so protective of- is something the Wrigleys took from the Chicago Athletic Association. They helped found the CAA, and probably had whatever passed for permission way back then to use that C. Just one of those things- how fluid things were way back.

Chiicago Athletic Association building then/now

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, TheOldRoman said:

So, the Cubs are wearing their horrendous alternates against the Indians' navy alternates. The :censored:ing World Series is looking like a spring training game. Good job, you guys.

Never underestimate blind superstition.

Fortunately, the Cubs never wear the alts inside the Friendly Confines, so half of it will be good for the next three.

I just wish the Indians would show off their beautiful homes instead of going with the alts, as good as they may look.  And either put an outline on that C or get a better version.  The outline at least makes a totally lackluster.  

EvilChameleon in the 2016 Postseason thread has this as his avatar, and it may be old fashioned, but if the Indians want to go classic, it at least has more character than what they have now.

Sports.png.12f8ddc55c6b885879f4e2ef88d82

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, TheOldRoman said:

So, the Cubs are wearing their horrendous alternates against the Indians' navy alternates. The :censored:ing World Series is looking like a spring training game. Good job, you guys.

Sad thing is, this isn't a late expansion-era matchup like Diamondbacks vs. Rays where you'd expect that sort of thing. These are two classic teams that have been around for 100+ years and are frankly above bringing Spring Training to October. 

One white/gray matchup is all I'm asking for, guys! Just one!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

15 hours ago, the admiral said:

Why do you separate exclamation points from their sentences? That's done in French but not English.

I think you are right, i put this random sentence "vas te faire encule !" into google translate and it automatically put the exclamation point right behind the english translation. Pretty amazing. See for yourself !

I guess i do it because it makes the words easier to read, we are not machines, would be boring if everyone typed the same way right ?

:)

9 hours ago, TheOldRoman said:

Thought - was this the first time that two alternate jerseys were worn in the same World Series game? Not counting the Marlins wearing their sleeveless alternates in 1997. I'm thinking it is, baring maybe some Pirates foolishness in '79.

Game 1 --

hqdefault.jpg

Game 7 -- 

4ed45c751205fc10e5383f3ae296a364.jpg

I'm not sure about the other games.  The Orioles didn't wear orange on the road then (to my recollection), so Games 3-5 would have been gray vs. ???.  Game 4 --

98102a0f8c6f9fe4b722404af18be25a.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Just now, insert name said:

The Cubs and Indians are ruining what should be a great uniform matchup. Don't get me wrong, I like their alternative uniforms but do the Indians have to be wearing it all the damn time? Stupid superstition. 

The Indians haven't worn their road grays at all in the playoffs, right? And we've only seen the home white a couple of times. It's absurd that some silly superstition is ruining what should be a great matchup between two of the oldest teams in their respective leagues.

6 hours ago, Thomas said:

I think you are right, i put this random sentence "vas te faire encule !" into google translate and it automatically put the exclamation point right behind the english translation. Pretty amazing. See for yourself !

I guess i do it because it makes the words easier to read, we are not machines, would be boring if everyone typed the same way right ?

:)

No, it doesn't, and no it wouldn't.

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, kroywen said:

The Indians haven't worn their road grays at all in the playoffs, right? And we've only seen the home white a couple of times. It's absurd that some silly superstition is ruining what should be a great matchup between two of the oldest teams in their respective leagues.

They're old and storied franchises but not all of their current uniforms are. IMO the only uniform in this series that is sacrosanct is the Cubs home jersey.

Having said that, MLB should institute a rule that prevents teams from wearing two similarly colored jerseys in the same game.

22 hours ago, Thomas said:

I believe  the Indians are the only team that uses nameplates on their jerseys.  Anyone know why the hell they do it !?

The Rays do too.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Alternates shouldn't be allowed in the postseason. Protect the teams from themselves. 

It'll be Cavs-like if the Cubs end up winning this thing in their blue shirts just because Jake Arrieta likes the blue jerseys. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

At the same time, I can't really blame the Indians for not wanting to wear their road greys after they really dulled them down in 2011:

Jim+Thome+Cleveland+Indians+v+Texas+Rang

The navy alts at least have some color in them, and some degree of personality. The above is really bland, even by baseball's standards.

That is true it would not be as big of a dishonor since at least both teams alts match their main colors and are good looking but I kind of wish they would put them away for awhile and wear their primaries

11 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

That falsely assumes that every team's alt is their weakest jersey.

Most of them are the weakest jersey. Alternates are by definition not supposed to be worn as much as the primaries. If your alternate is better than your primary then make it your primary.  

11 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

And neither the Indians nor the Cubs have a BFBS jersey so this isn't really comparable to the Cavs. 

Sure it is. That the Cavs black jerseys are black for black's sake is like the third worst thing about it. The tragedy in wearing that jersey for game 7 and why it's analogous to the Cubs, should they win in an alternate, is that they will have accomplished the biggest feat in team history in their worst look. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

13 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

That falsely assumes that every team's alt is their weakest jersey.

Due to the objectivity of such a claim, I don't know that said assumption would be necessarily false nor correct. That said, in my opinion, I can't think of a single colored alternate in the entire league that is better than the home or roads of their respective sets. Even in the cases of great colored alternates like the Blue Jays, Mariners, or Orioles among others, I still prefer the whites and greys each time and especially on such a stage as the postseason. 

Throwbacks or Sunday alts may be a bit different depending on the team - for example I'd be perfectly fine with the Indians wearing their cream alts in this series - but in no case whatsoever do I find a colored alt such as blue, red, black, etc preferable to home whites and Road greys. Again, personal opinion.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

9 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

Most of them are the weakest jersey. Alternates are by definition not supposed to be worn as much as the primaries. If your alternate is better than your primary then make it your primary.  

Sure it is. That the Cavs black jerseys are black for black's sake is like the third worst thing about it. The tragedy in wearing that jersey for game 7 and why it's analogous to the Cubs, should they win in an alternate, is that they will have accomplished the biggest feat in team history in their worst look. 

Except no one's certain that teams are even allowed to designate colored jerseys as primary.

And the Cavs won in a jersey that was black, sleeved and had a gigantic C on the chest. I understand that this is all subjective but the Cubs' blue walking bear jersey isn't in the same hemisphere. (Also, it's at least in the same zip code as their CHICAGO road jersey.)

Archived