MLB 2016 Changes

FiddySicks

Astros are wearing their orange alts tonight. I really wish there was a rule against wearing alts in the Postseason. White vs. grey only, please.

This. 100% this.

So annoyed the pirates will be in black tomorrow.

I'd say they'll probably wear black every single game until they're out... What a shame.

Yup, it is a shame.

Though, there was this tweet which akes me think grey might be worn on the road once(if there is a road game)

https://twitter.com/bonnett_scott/status/650852962668019712

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not really bothered by teams wearing alt uniforms in the playoffs, I just don't like the on-a-whim nature that most baseball teams use, where generally the decision is made by the starting pitcher. I'd rather alt uniforms follow some predictable schedule. Like perhaps on home or holiday games, or something similar to that. That way there is a good balance between the standard home and roads, in addition to any alts they want to wear.

I'm not really bothered by teams wearing alt uniforms in the playoffs, I just don't like the on-a-whim nature that most baseball teams use, where generally the decision is made by the starting pitcher. I'd rather alt uniforms follow some predictable schedule. Like perhaps on home or holiday games, or something similar to that. That way there is a good balance between the standard home and roads, in addition to any alts they want to wear.

Teams off the top of my head that have a schedule

Orioles(For the most part, friday black, sat orange(all season home, late season road), white/grey rest)

Phillies(White/grey besides cream day games)

Reds(red day games)

BLue Jays home(white m-f, blue sat sun)

Red Sox-blue/red(away/home) friday

5qWs8RS.png

Do the Jays honor that schedule? I feel like they've really worn the blue alt much more than the white...

that feeling might be because theyve all but dropped the grey jersey for blue on the road.

So yes they have in general, but more white at home

http://www.sportslogos.net/uniforms/list_by_team/201578_4/Toronto_Blue_Jays_2015/

5qWs8RS.png

Orioles(For the most part, friday black, sat orange(all season home, late season road), white/grey rest)

Reds(red day games)

The Astros had a regular schedule (home: whites Sat-Thu, orange Fri; road: grey night games, orange day games, unless there is a clash), but they abandoned the road portion once they started going in the toilet on the road in Sept. They only wore grey Sunday in Arizona because the D-Backs wore brick. I don't think you'll see the grey on the Astros this postseason, unless they play in Arlington against the red-alt-wearing Rangers.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Reds(red day games)

Cardinals:

-Navy hats on road against other red teams.

-Cream ALT for Saturday home games.

-Navy/Red Bird on bat hat for Sunday home games.

Astros are wearing their orange alts tonight. I really wish there was a rule against wearing alts in the Postseason. White vs. grey only, please.

This. 100% this.

And it will look even worse because the Cubs will most likely be wearing their crappy blue alts with the awful logo. The most important game of the season for these teams and it's going to look like Spring Training. Yay!

I had a thought, though. What if the Pirates troll us all and come out in the only worse set - the camos? I think this board would explode.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

This. 100% this.

And it will look even worse because the Cubs will most likely be wearing their crappy blue alts with the awful logo. The most important game of the season for these teams and it's going to look like Spring Training. Yay!

I had a thought, though. What if the Pirates troll us all and come out in the only worse set - the camos? I think this board would explode.

That would, honestly, be hillarious.

THat said, i think i prefer the camos to the black, if nothing else by the rarity.

5qWs8RS.png

Rays have a schedule at home for jerseys:

White - Mon thru Saturday home night games

Navy - Mon thru Saturday home day games

Light Blue - Home sundays

On the road its more of a crapshoot, id say the navy was worn more on the road this season, but it may have been 50/50.

Gimmicks like a "blackout" should be saved for the regular season. For a lack of a better word, it just seems so "unclassy" to do it in the postseason.

I say this because the Pirates had a blackout. Didn't help them much though! (dance)

Gimmicks like a "blackout" should be saved for the regular season. For a lack of a better word, it just seems so "unclassy" to do it in the postseason.

I say this because the Pirates had a blackout. Didn't help them much though! (dance)

I dunno. At the end of the day, it may be the postseason, but it's still just another game. Keep the atmosphere fun for the fans, no need to be so strictly formal and serious.

It's things like this that make me torn. Went to the Yankees-Astros game. I'm a very traditional guy when it comes to things, and I really believe that teams should stick by their home whites and away grays most of the time. And they really should stick to them for the most part for the playoffs, but... dangit, the Astros looked really good in orange. They're beautiful uniforms. It makes it hard for me to argue against it when they objectively look really good.

Tonight's game, however, was easier to judge on. Both teams should DEFINITELY not be going colored alt like this, the Pirates' black has issues, and unless the Cubs' blue alt is tucked in neatly, it looks like a crappy practice windbreaker.

Doesn't the entire concept come from playoffs in various sports, though? And besides, if you're trying to rally the entire crowd to be one united unit, the playoffs is the reason to do it.

Although, to be honest, I think this can be done without having to have the team participate. The Cardinals are already usually a sea of red for games. Make it a crowd thing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I think it is a case-by-case basis for the team. Obviously, you've got your traditional teams like the Yankees and Dodgers who would never wear alt uniforms (the '99 Dodgers uniform being a rare exception), but I think for expansion teams like the Astros who have always had multiple uniforms, no big deal. I agree that most of the time, teams should wear their standard stuff, but even in the playoffs, as long as there isn't some visible clash, I don't think it's a big deal. I actually wasn't bothered by the Cubs-Pirates game on principle, but rather that the Pirates black alt would look better without the white outlines.

Archived