Whats in your opinion the visually ugliest stadium out there?

Davidellias

Soldier Field "The Mistake by the Lake"

Your obvious bias aside, I'm actually gonna chime in with reluctant semi-agreement here.

I don't think Soldier is the ugliest anything by any means, but it's certainly disappointing. The colonnades are distinct, sure, and the glass spaceship thing isn't altogether atrocious from a design standpoint, but when you mash them together? It's not good.

The inside is even worse. Once you get into Soldier Field there's a cool Halas mural, but otherwise it's a very drab industrial steel and concrete skeleton. They shoehorn a bunch of lame banners and stuff, but otherwise it's kinda lame. There's nothing whatsoever romantic about the actual seating areas, either. It's got some seats and some food vendors. What a thrillride.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miller Park

FBq6zeb.jpg

Because nothing says "Homely, Midwestern Baseball Experience" like a :censored: space ship hangar

Forced to agree.

It's not bad from the outside, with the brick and steel, but from the inside its one of the ugliest baseball parks I've ever seen. I hate the lack of depth behind the centerfield fence, which gives the whole place a claustrophobic feel. I hate the fact that the roof looms over the action even when "open".

It's a bad park, and I'm glad we're already halfway thorough it's life.

On the brightside, you don't have to worry about getting sunburned during the day games. Even with the roof open, it still covers half the ballpark from sunlight.

US Cellular Field gets my vote. It just looks so damn boring! As uninteresting as the inside looks, the outside is even worse.

That's not the ugliest at all. Like Angel Stadium and Busch Stadium, it's as middle-of-the-road as can be.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Toss up between the Oakland Coliseum (post-Mt Davis) or Levis Stadium. Both are poorly proportioned and just look wrong. Nothing says baseball like having a Giant wall of unused suites and seats looming over the field. And for both nothing says egalitarian football like a massive wall of suites where the 1% can look down on the common folk wallowing in the :censored: smelling foulness or blistering heat respectively.

tempAP691234539336--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.j

227438_1280x720.jpg

Lego Stadium has the same problem that's always bugged me about Philips Arena and Ford Field - they cram all of the suites onto one side rather than spreading them around the space so it creates this massive wall of suites on one side of the field/court/ice.

2zhgivo.jpgstadium.jpg

Honestly, that's the one reason why I'm hoping that the Carson NFL stadium doesn't get built:

100528-full.jpg

It has to be the worst trend in modern stadium design. Red Bull Arena in New Jersey also has it, as does Otkrytiye Arena in Moscow:

red-bull-arena-pano.jpg

otkritie2.jpg

This thread is useless without (more) pictures.

In seriousness, most of the first half of the thread is a list of allegedly ugly venues without pictures to prove the point.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Being amused with the redundancy in the title, I was going to start a thread called "Whats in your opinion the metaphysically ugliest stadium out there?" and begin by nominating the MTS Centre, noting that its modestly pleasing exterior belies its hideous spiritual core of destroying history in the name of commerce and using skywalks and tunnels to shelter Winnipeggers from the elements as if sheltering them from the truth of daily life. Then I realized this wasn't a good idea and made lunch. Lunch was a can of gumbo and some jalapeno Krunchers!. That probably wasn't a good idea either.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Being amused with the redundancy in the title, I was going to start a thread called "Whats in your opinion the metaphysically ugliest stadium out there?" and begin by nominating the MTS Centre, noting that its modestly pleasing exterior belies its hideous spiritual core of destroying history in the name of commerce and using skywalks and tunnels to shelter Winnipeggers from the elements as if sheltering them from the truth of daily life. Then I realized this wasn't a good idea and made lunch. Lunch was a can of gumbo and some jalapeno Krunchers!. That probably wasn't a good idea either.

Ha! To be fair, I called it "Visually Ugliest" cause I was looking more for stadiums that are eysores (Like Knoxville's Civic Auditorium) rather then poorly designed (Like the interior of the Barclay's Center)

Maybe I should titled this, "Which stadium has the ugliest exterior" as opposed to "Visually Ugliest". :P

GB4tjYx.jpg?1?2352

player_was___taylor_by_verasthebrujah-d9

Penn State's Beaver Stadium

p240513052-4_zpsreodqkmh.jpg

It was worse before the 2001 addition of brickwork in the style of the general campus.

11316299-large_zpslzo1b6ud.jpg

Brickwork does wonders to improve a stadiums look, especially college ones.

Doak Campbell in 1982:

doak1982_zpssfky5la7.jpg

Doak Campbell today:

doak-campbell-stadium-florida-state-spot

And Michigan got rid of the Tom Goss "Halo" after two years, but even with the suite towers, it still is essentially a crater with a field.

Halo20UM20ND20fbc20stadium20LEW-thumb-59

If you want Lego Stadium, try Max Bell Centre in Calgary. I hate it because there is no pattern to it. Just yellow and red where ever they felt like it.

6586262.jpg

2482114078_87893e296a.jpg

The first time I saw that, I thought they weren't done it yet; it looked like they had put the insulation in then just stopped before they built the outside wall. I honestly don't know what they were thinking with that design.

I went to Ann Arbor when I was 11 or 12 expecting to see the biggest stadium anyone has ever built. My dad didn't tell me they built it in a hole. From the outside it's very unimposing and little McCarthy was unimpressed.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Joe Louis Arena is an architectural turd. Come in from the parking garage side? Stairs! Tons and tons of stairs! Park down the way along the river and use the other entrance? STAIRS!! The rest is plain, flat, grey, blah. No character whatsoever.

thejoe.jpg5749275305_30b3d99a18_z.jpg

This was going to be my vote as well.

When my buddy and I did our road trip a few years ago, part of my agenda was to see each NHL building along the way. St. Louis was alright, Chicago was huge, and Columbus was decent. But was pretty disappointed with Detroit....I knew it was an aged building, but when we got there, my first thought was that it looked like a Sam's Club or a CostCo.....

I called it "Visually Ugliest" cause I was looking more for stadiums that are eysores (Like Knoxville's Civic Auditorium) rather then poorly designed (Like the interior of the Barclay's Center)

In point of fact, Barclay's Center's interior is very well designed, is visually interesting and is a great place to watch a basketball game. They just decided to add hockey, which it deliberately was not designed to host.

US Cellular Field gets my vote. It just looks so damn boring! As uninteresting as the inside looks, the outside is even worse.

Its inception would be sorely dated... thankfully they seemed to have done a fine job literally 'retro' fitting the place more like a baseball park.

Could be worse... Chicago could be like Atlanta building a new one just because.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

I went to Ann Arbor when I was 11 or 12 expecting to see the biggest stadium anyone has ever built. My dad didn't tell me they built it in a hole. From the outside it's very unimposing and little McCarthy was unimpressed.

Neyland Stadium in Knoxville sounds like the stadium for you. It's pretty gigantic on the outside.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Lego Stadium has the same problem that's always bugged me about Philips Arena and Ford Field - they cram all of the suites onto one side rather than spreading them around the space so it creates this massive wall of suites on one side of the field/court/ice.

Honestly, that's the one reason why I'm hoping that the Carson NFL stadium doesn't get built:

100528-full.jpg

The first two levels on the opposite side of the field in this picture are from Soldier Field.

Soldier_Field-1346.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived